Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 AM

239 posts, read 894,858 times

Advertisements

When I was in High School we use to have subsititute teachers all the time when our regular instructor was sick or forced out of town. I never remember a sub in college. What happens when a Instructor or Professor at a college is out, who takes over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
If its just one class they usually cancel it, Had Bio class in college where the instructor in the hospital, for weeks, they had a endless parade of other profs come into the class and teach it. After 3rd prof, a bunch of us went to the dean of the college, Each prof was teaching different stuff, in different ways, when we got the mid term From the prof of the week. it had no reference to what the other profs were teaching. Dean gave the entire class the option of a Free/Retake of the class the next semester for a grade or take the class Pass/Fail (Pass = B/3.0) (Fail = D 1.0) Weeks after the pass/fail deadline.

Also Some school use Grad Student/Teaching Assnt to take over the classs for a day or 2.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
When I was in college classes were cancelled if the professor was out. I had one professor who was an Orthodox Jew. She was out for all of the holy days at the beginning of each fall semester. It was usually three or four classes, depending on the calendar that year.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM

56 posts, read 220,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
When I was in High School we use to have subsititute teachers all the time when our regular instructor was sick or forced out of town. I never remember a sub in college. What happens when a Instructor or Professor at a college is out, who takes over?
The class is usually canceled but sometimes our professor sends in a replacement. (;

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
When I was in college classes were cancelled if the professor was out.
Agreed. A note on the door or an email alerted to it. Usually it included an assignment for the next class if it wasn't already assigned.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM

19 posts, read 61,991 times
One of my professors is expecting and due at the beginning of October. She'll be out for a month and she has already arranged for us to have a guest speaker once a week, and the other day will be a "free" day for us.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
When I was in college one of my professors had cancer. At the beginning of the semester, if he was out, class was just canceled. Then a TA began teaching the class. The professor actually passed away just before the end of the semester. The university had another professor that would occasionally come in and make an appearance but the semester was really just completed by the TA.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
My professors almost *always* had make up classes if they were out for any reason, unless it was a "huge" class (over 35 people) in which case there was always a TA to take over.

4 or 5 of my professors were world famous in their fields and were often called upon to present at conferences. I took 3 classes with one professor like that (who also did a lot of work with businesses promoting sustainable development) and every class there were 2 or 3 days where she would be at conferences, plus 1 or 2 days where her son was sick. She would poll the class to ask which times the following week would be good for everyone to come in. If you had to miss, she would give you her lecture notes (incredibly detailed- I often hoped I could not attend just to get my hands on them!). Then we would have the makeup class and she would provide pizza and soda.

In fact, I think most makeup classes involved being bribed with food.

My campus was a residential, traditionally-aged campus so it wasn't like people had to go home to be with their families.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
My professors always canceled class

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Almost always in my experience, class was cancelled. I only recall one time where a professor sent in a replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities