Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 AM

964 posts, read 3,164,456 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm going to go ahead and finish. Here in my state, pretty much most colleges are about the same in price now, well the public ones are. I'm attending UAB. And I've looked into the government jobs as well.

Quote:
You want a job with the govt. What steps are you taking to get there? Are you researching the accounting positions that they have in over the million govt branches? Are you looking at their student entry programs/internships? Are you willing to move to participate in them if they aren't in your area? Have you tried to seek out/network with accounting majors that are currently working for the govt? Have you researched your city or state's student entry programs, which may include accounting majors? And if you don't land a govt position after all that, what is your plan B? If you aren't willing to put in the effort above, then maybe your education will just be a title for you.
Right now, well previously, I looked around at several gov't agencies - IRS, Fed, FDIC as the main three. I've looked into a few other agencies as well and I wouldn't mind working with the FCC, FTC, ATF(my very top choice), and a few more others. and yes, I would relocate if I have to. I've been doing the research phase since I still have a few more preq to take before I can move on to my major courses.

And I was going to look into my school's programs that offer students the ability to go to certain jobs as a sort of apprenticeship almost. They have several programs for us, but I was also looking at the FDIC's summer programs. Either that or I'm hoping to check out the IRS since I've read that they're great with recruiting students. So yeah, I am still researching and such but I couldn't do much last summer since I was still working full time and going to school full time.

About the FBI, do they really hire a lot of accountants?

And I do have a Plan B that I'm working on, but it doesn't relate to education, well it CAN, but it will help me if I can make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM

45,586 posts, read 60,900,071 times
Used to be that the FBI would hire only lawyers and CPAs.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,696,833 times
If you knew the number of people I know who went from having stable, secure jobs, sometimes with a substantial income, to being unable to find anything, you'd see the value. It makes a big difference to employers, even if your degree is not direcly relevant to the job you're applying for.

Oh yes, and there is a value to being a well-rounded, educated person.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,393,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Used to be that the FBI would hire only lawyers and CPAs.
Times change...

Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 AM

964 posts, read 3,164,456 times
Well, luck be it is, where I am going to school at, there's a ton of gov't offices around. I'm going to check around and see what I can learn.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,713,666 times
There are jobs out there for people with many types of degrees. Where I work, you'd have no idea there was an economic downturn.

While I won't bother making the argument that college is important (regardless of how far along you are), if you are already enrolled and 2 years in... you should just finish it. Assuming you have a hard time landing a job when you get out college, when things begin to turn, at least you'll have that degree.

And in some cases the degree is but a piece of paper, it also can make the difference between landing the job and not landing the job. Also, use this time to network with professors and fellow students. Those that graduate before you might help you land a job yourself. Those that graduate with you might work somewhere and think of you when they hear of a job opening at their company.

I landed my first job thanks to being on good terms with a professor who was informed by an ex-student of an opening at his company. I still had to earn it, but the position wasn't widely competed since recommendations only came from employees. I've also helped land jobs for two people. In some ways, the networking you do at college is just as important as what you learn.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM

436 posts, read 1,350,530 times
Why bother finishing anything? Graduating from college (especially once you've started) shows that you set a goal and achieved it. If you really want to be an Accountant, you need a degree and, as someone else mentioned, being a CPA is even better.

Maybe ask yourself if you really want to be an Accountant. Do you know what they really do? I wanted to switch my major to Accounting once because I wanted the glamour of working for a big firm and having my name in the ad that the big firms took out in the school paper. What a stupid reason! My mom told me that the Accountants that came to her office for audit (where a lot of Accounting grads for big firms start) looked cute in their suits but sat in a room all day crunching numbers...just not my thing.

Figure out what you want to do before you waste more money on tuition. A degree will be worth it, maybe just in a different field.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,481,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Why? I mean, I am majoring in Accounting, I may finish in two years hopefully, but what good will it do if I can't find a job? Plus, I had to use loans(I only used the federal ones though).

I always wanted a job with the government when I graduate, but I don't know. I'm starting to think my college education is becoming more of a title rather than an accomplishment.
It's ironic that you're considering pitching an education out the window out of fear of not having a job, considering that accounting/finance is one of the few fields that has held on quite well in the private sector. I got canned after five years of experience in FP&A, moved out West and got a job in a couple of weeks. I see job openings for people with real accounting skills all the time. I'm regularly contacted by recruiters seeking my interest for Cisco, Netapp, etc. (I work in a tech company).

Also, skip the government - they generally will undercut your pay. Go to private industry where you can make real money down the road.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,475,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Also, skip the government - they generally will undercut your pay. Go to private industry where you can make real money down the road.
Not in my industry the federal govt pays more than double what the private sector pays in science and provides benefits. I am seeing an awful lot of $12/hour accounting jobs too popping up in the private sector.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,430,232 times
Why eliminate yourself from contention before you qualify yourself to compete?

Develop more substance. Build stellar academic credentials FIRST, then the jobs will come to you. This includes a graduate degree which is practically required these days to distinguish yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities