Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 11:17 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,720,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Actually, Memphis has decent football chops but only recently. As a PSU fan, those other cream puffs you mentioned don't do it for me either. I wish they would revive the old rivalries with WVU and Pitt but it must not be as lucrative for them financially. That's the only way to look at it in this new CFP landscape.
Penn State's goal is to play 7 home games in front of a sold out stadium. They know they can sell out the stadium playing a cream puff team. They pay the team a sizable amount to come to Happy Valley.

Quote:
Delaware received a financial payment for playing the game, a common practice. The amount, $400,000, according to Kevin Tresolini of the Wilmington News-Journal, was low by the prevailing standards. Idaho, also FCS, received a reported $1.45 million to play Penn State here in 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 07:31 PM

255 posts, read 70,163 times
Penn State's administrators pushed VERY hard to modify the series by proposing an unbalanced number of home games @ Beaver Stadium in a 2-1 or 3-2 arrangement after the 2000 contest prior to the start of the hiatus which certainly contributed to the demise of the series.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:20 AM

4,070 posts, read 2,411,158 times
Washington State and Oregon State scored a major victory off the field on Tuesday. A Washington county judge ruled in their favor, granting a preliminary injunction that gives the two schools control of Pac-12 governance and assets — an estimated $400 million this year. However, the ruling from Whitman County Judge Gary Libey is stayed until at least Monday as attorneys for the departing 10 Pac-12 schools work to appeal the decision. Depending on a timeline for the appeals process, the case could continue for months without a resolution. Libey’s ruling is a sign that the Cougars and Beavers are in position to win the case against the departing 10 Pac-12 programs over control of the league’s decision-making. At the center of the case is control of more than $400 million this year in Pac-12 revenue from television contracts, the Rose Bowl and NCAA basketball tournament units. That revenue is normally distributed to each school, starting with installments in December. Each school is due about $35-40 million. Washington State and Oregon State now control those distribution rights, granting the schools the ability to use that revenue in different ways, including withholding it from those exiting schools. However, in making his ruling, Libey describes this as a “modified” preliminary injunction. “This is not a shutout,” he said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-...013039157.html

I just cherry picked the beginning of this article but it seems that WSU and OSU are in the drivers seat in terms of charting their futures.

Old 11-15-2023, 12:37 PM

387 posts, read 354,256 times
Quote:
Washington State and Oregon State scored a major victory off the field on Tuesday. A Washington county judge ruled in their favor, granting a preliminary injunction that gives the two schools control of Pac-12 governance and assets — an estimated $400 million this year. However, the ruling from Whitman County Judge Gary Libey is stayed until at least Monday as attorneys for the departing 10 Pac-12 schools work to appeal the decision. Depending on a timeline for the appeals process, the case could continue for months without a resolution. Libey’s ruling is a sign that the Cougars and Beavers are in position to win the case against the departing 10 Pac-12 programs over control of the league’s decision-making. At the center of the case is control of more than $400 million this year in Pac-12 revenue from television contracts, the Rose Bowl and NCAA basketball tournament units. That revenue is normally distributed to each school, starting with installments in December. Each school is due about $35-40 million. Washington State and Oregon State now control those distribution rights, granting the schools the ability to use that revenue in different ways, including withholding it from those exiting schools. However, in making his ruling, Libey describes this as a “modified” preliminary injunction. “This is not a shutout,” he said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-...013039157.html

I just cherry picked the beginning of this article but it seems that WSU and OSU are in the drivers seat in terms of charting their futures.
Good for them...as it should be.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:16 PM

3,764 posts, read 2,596,214 times
Saw this morning that Oregon has reshuffled its 2024 schedule so they'll be able to play Oregon State in their Civil War game. It's a 130 year long tradition, and I'm assuming fan & alumni outrage compelled this. I think this is a positive development.. the greedy creeps that are driving realignment, recognizing they can't casually discard the most meaningful regional rivalries

Old 12-09-2023, 10:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,004,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv1985 View Post
Penn State's administrators pushed VERY hard to modify the series by proposing an unbalanced number of home games @ Beaver Stadium in a 2-1 or 3-2 arrangement after the 2000 contest prior to the start of the hiatus which certainly contributed to the demise of the series.
This is accurate. As is villageidiot's statement that PSU needs 7 home games every year. I believe they use this revenue to finance their athletics? So, it makes sense for them from an economics perspective.

I've heard Penn State say that most of the Pitt/Penn State games have taken place in Pittsburgh - which is true - and they want more games in State College to even it out. Well, since Joe Paterno took over as head coach in the 1960s, it's been pretty even the number of games in State College versus the number in Pittsburgh.

With the lack of any games scheduled in the near future, it is unlikely there will be any more Pitt/Penn State games until at least 2030. Also, with the expansion of the Big Ten to include four more schools, one will have to wonder if the B1G goes to 10 conference games in the next five years?

Old 12-09-2023, 10:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,004,331 times
Quote:
Actually, Memphis has decent football chops but only recently. As a PSU fan, those other cream puffs you mentioned don't do it for me either. I wish they would revive the old rivalries with WVU and Pitt but it must not be as lucrative for them financially. That's the only way to look at it in this new CFP landscape. Just looked at the schedule this season. Non-conference cream puffs were Delaware and UMass. Beat WVU. Other cream puffs were B1G foes, i.e-Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa. Can't help it they suck in the B1G. Recruit better. In any event, I would replace Delaware or UMass with Pitt and keep WVU for rivalries sake. The powers that be have other plans.
I'm with you in that Pitt, Penn State, and WVU should all play one another more frequently like the old times.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:02 AM

812 posts, read 834,852 times
Been hearing rumors of UNC going to SEC. Even maybe has something to do with their chancellor recently leaving for Michigan State. I know it is all hypothetical at this point -especially given rock solid ACC GOR. But.......

No way UNC to SEC.
1. Not a fit academically: UNC is a public ivy and sees its' peer institutions as Michigan and Washington... not Mississippi and Arkansas. Honestly, alumni would see a move to the SEC as de-valuing their degree.
2. Not a fit culturally: Town of Chapel hill, faculty, and the student body identify more with Ann Arbor and Madison than with Starkville or Tuscaloosa.
3. Not a fit athletically: Of course, basketball is still king at UNC, and this would be better in BIG10 than SEC. Also, UNC very strong and proud in many of the "olympic sports" -that BIG offers and SEC doesn't. Only sport maybe a better "fit" in SEC is baseball. UNC football is meh.... desperately trying to get better....but meh....could go either way.

So, it comes down to money; and, this the Caveat. UNC to SEC only if it sells its' soul to the devil. If SEC (and ESPN) give UNC full shares immediately and cover most or all of any exit fees (and others), then maybe... maybe.... to SEC.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:07 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,720,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I'm with you in that Pitt, Penn State, and WVU should all play one another more frequently like the old times.
This post made me start thinking about why this conference realignment is happening. I skimmed though all the posts and I don't think this question was answered. I thought I knew the answer. I've explained to some friends that it is all about the conferences negotiating TV contracts. Obviously that is a big part of it. But when I look at how this actually works, I'm missing something. For example, the Big 10 doesn't want Pitt and WVU. WVU was forced to join the Big 12 even though they don't fit geographically and don't add much as far as a TV market.

The Big 10 is adding Oregon, UCLA, USC and Washington. So if you look at a game between Penn State and Oregon, will that game have a bigger national TV audience than a game between Pitt and Penn State?

The Big 12 will expand to include Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, Baylor, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech and WVU. Would a WVU-Utah game draw a bigger national audience than a WVU-Pitt or Penn State?

I realize this is about the conferences selling a package to the networks. Does that mean the Big 12 should add an East Coast and a California school to have a better national audience? They already have a Florida school.

Some additional thoughts:

1. Will the TV networks have almost total control of the game schedules. They already have control of what time many games are played. Could they also tell schools to move their games to a different day?

2. When will conferences start kicking schools out of their conference to make their package better. Does WVU add much to the Big 12 Conference other than travel costs? How long will the ACC keep four North Carolina schools?

3. Basketball and football are very different as far as what schools are most competitive and have a large TV audience. Gonzaga, Marquette, Georgetown, St. Johns, and Davidson are examples of schools that have done well on a national level in basketball but are minor players in football. Wouldn't separate basketball and football conferences make more sense?

4. I said this earlier in this thread, but why do all the other sports have to be in the same conference as football and basketball? With the addition of the Arizona and Utah schools to the Big 12, WVU, UCF and Cincinnati will have even longer flights to their away baseball games and other sports. With very few college baseball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, wrestling, golf, etc. games being televised, why are they included in these leagues?

5. With these larger, nationwide conferences, how does a non-Big 5 league like the Mid-American Conference (MAC) survive? It would seem like they would never get any TV revenue.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:25 AM

15,924 posts, read 6,626,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Saw this morning that Oregon has reshuffled its 2024 schedule so they'll be able to play Oregon State in their Civil War game. It's a 130 year long tradition, and I'm assuming fan & alumni outrage compelled this. I think this is a positive development.. the greedy creeps that are driving realignment, recognizing they can't casually discard the most meaningful regional rivalries
Yes, Washington did something similar with Washington State, and I'm glad to see that. Hopefully we can schedule more games against the old conference teams until this madness sorts itself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football