Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 09:06 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
If the ACC falls below 15 schools, ESPN can renegotiate. That is one reason why this expansion occurred. It also leaves room for greedy Florida State and Clemson to leave that would not impact the ACC's media deal.
I guess I dont get any of this.
Do FSU and Clemson really have the alumni base to come up with the $120 million buyout? My perception is that these are not overflowing with billionaire supporters like say Texas for example.
The natural target for both those schools would be the SEC, but I dont see how South Carolina and Florida would be happy with this. That means more competition for state recruits. Granted the state of Florida might be the best talent pool in the nation, but I cant see why the current SEC schools would want to welcome in yet another mouth to feed.

Not to mention the SEC doesnt gain any new markets by adding these two schools either. I honestly think a lot of these what I would call legacy schools have been a declining value proposition for quite a while. Talking about FSU, Miami, Nebraska. To hear that FSU is trying to hold the ACC at gunpoint demanding more money for a team that really hasnt been relevant if we're honest since Jimbo Fisher ten years ago is laughable.
Just what leverage does FSU think it has???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 08:48 AM

1,982 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I guess I dont get any of this.
Do FSU and Clemson really have the alumni base to come up with the $120 million buyout? My perception is that these are not overflowing with billionaire supporters like say Texas for example.
The natural target for both those schools would be the SEC, but I dont see how South Carolina and Florida would be happy with this. That means more competition for state recruits. Granted the state of Florida might be the best talent pool in the nation, but I cant see why the current SEC schools would want to welcome in yet another mouth to feed.

Not to mention the SEC doesnt gain any new markets by adding these two schools either. I honestly think a lot of these what I would call legacy schools have been a declining value proposition for quite a while. Talking about FSU, Miami, Nebraska. To hear that FSU is trying to hold the ACC at gunpoint demanding more money for a team that really hasnt been relevant if we're honest since Jimbo Fisher ten years ago is laughable.
Just what leverage does FSU think it has???
FSU just has all the hype from the media. LOL.

I am sure their boosters could come up with the money for a buyout. But they are greedy and want more money, and like you said, they are threatening to leave.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:49 AM

387 posts, read 352,121 times
FSU already has the money for the $120 million buyout. But it likely will not be that much.

You can make the argument about relevancy for FSU, and I can't necessarily counter it. I do think we are on our way back to prominence, but our admin is correct that the revenue gap will make it such that we likely will never be able to stay instep with the programs from the SEC and the B1G.

SEC gains nothing market wise from FSU/Clemson, that is correct. They would benefit some annual match ups against the SEC powers for sure, but them bringing FSU and Clemson in would be defensive to keep B1G out of the south east.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:54 AM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
If not mistaken the Pac-12 was locked into the Rose Bowl?

ACC adding Stanford and Cal they can rename the conference to Atlantic-Pacific Coast Conference.
Stanford and Cal will both host maybe 5 games adding to travel.

They did something similar but not as bad with basketball. Notre Dame added as well as Syracuse. Just close your eyes and grab a school no matter how far away they are.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:43 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
None of this makes sense. I don’t see how west coast teams can manage the logistics of going to the Midwest or even the east coast every other Saturday. The Big Ten is the Midwest conference and it should have protected its identity. The SEC has done a better job of keeping all the added schools at least somewhat southern but still it’s getting out of hand down here too.

The regional nature of the conferences should have been protected or we need to scrap the whole system and reorganize all of it. I prefer to see tradition preserved. Big ten means a school from a cold flat midwestern state. Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State etc, NOT some west coast school.

Old 09-03-2023, 02:34 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
None of this makes sense. I don’t see how west coast teams can manage the logistics of going to the Midwest or even the east coast every other Saturday. The Big Ten is the Midwest conference and it should have protected its identity. The SEC has done a better job of keeping all the added schools at least somewhat southern but still it’s getting out of hand down here too.

The regional nature of the conferences should have been protected or we need to scrap the whole system and reorganize all of it. I prefer to see tradition preserved. Big ten means a school from a cold flat midwestern state. Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State etc, NOT some west coast school.
OR East coast school. What the hell is Maryland and Rutgers doing in the Big Ten.

With what's happening in college football, I firmly believe that there is going to a major change coming soon with efforts to undo some of this damage. I don't know who will be involved or how it will get going, but this crazy crap has GOT to end.

Old 09-03-2023, 03:00 PM

387 posts, read 352,121 times
Quote:

Don't be surprised to see many "neutral" sites for conference games in the Dallas area. And many of the Olympic sports will not do the cross country travel and instead utilize larger regional type events.

Regional definition went away when it was realized just how much revenue can be driven from college football and eyeballs.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:46 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
OR East coast school. What the hell is Maryland and Rutgers doing in the Big Ten.

With what's happening in college football, I firmly believe that there is going to a major change coming soon with efforts to undo some of this damage. I don't know who will be involved or how it will get going, but this crazy crap has GOT to end.
They should not be in the Big Ten. I agree that someone needs to step in now. A good start would be to save the PAC 12 and return those Western teams to where they belong.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
The Big Ten is the Midwest conference and it should have protected its identity..
The regional nature of the conferences should have been protected or we need to scrap the whole system and reorganize all of it. I prefer to see tradition preserved. NOT some west coast school.
It is disgraceful how schools are throwing out (literally) generations of regional rivalries for short term paydays.

And it kills me how schools are defending the obliteration of regional conferences & rivalries.. Basically saying schools HAVE to chase the money to keep up in the profit arms race, etc. They're not even hiding their crass philosophy that $ is priority one. Realigned college football truly has nothing to do with student-athletics, building the character of young men, representing their schools & states in rivalries. It's ultimately a business of maximizing short-term profit. And it's a completely top-down revolution: I haven't met a single fan or alum who is happy about conference "realignment".

Old 09-03-2023, 06:02 PM

1,982 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
It is disgraceful how schools are throwing out (literally) generations of regional rivalries for short term paydays.

And it kills me how schools are defending the obliteration of regional conferences & rivalries.. Basically saying schools HAVE to chase the money to keep up in the profit arms race, etc. They're not even hiding their crass philosophy that $ is priority one. Realigned college football truly has nothing to do with student-athletics, building the character of young men, representing their schools & states in rivalries. It's ultimately a business of maximizing short-term profit. And it's a completely top-down revolution: I haven't met a single fan or alum who is happy about conference "realignment".
Totally agree. Rivalries are one of my favorite aspects of college sports. But it is slowly going away.

Football will probably be its own entity in 5 years. No conferences, just schools playing whoever they want for all the money in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football