Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2023, 12:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Thank you for that insight. I appreciate you shedding light on this. Makes sense to me.

Geography does not necessarily align with culture. And as we can see with all this realignment... geography does not mean anything anymore. But I will give credit to the SEC because the schools they have added - Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri - are all at least close to the southeast US. Then again, I wouldn't generally consider Missouri to be the south, either, they are actually the northernmost SEC school...
Thanks SluggerMatt.

Which Sec team do you root for?

Obviously I’m a Sooner so ScoPro and I are sworn enemies!

OU has a gauntlet of a schedule the first year in the Sec. Somebody wants to punish the Sooners. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 06:03 PM

387 posts, read 352,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
The ACC SHOULD add Cal and Stanford ASAP, because of what you said, FSU and Clemson are going to leave. It is inevitable! They will need members for football.
Oh I agree, ACC needs to add them. It is not just FSU and Clemson blocking though, which is the problem. Although rumors are flying that ACC may now have the votes needed.

Issues is there are larger things at play with the CFP going on. In current state, if/when FSU and/or Clemson leave, the ACC runs the risk of other teams leaving as well. In which case they need all the members they can get in order to stay "viable" and keep CFP auto bids and such.

HOWEVER, I would not be surprised to see CFP move to a model where there are no automatic bids and is instead based on rankings/seedings. In that case, I can't say adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU does anything.

From a financial standpoint, lets say there is a pro-rata clause with ESPN that requires ESPN to offer full share money to the ACC for those teams (note it does NOT mean the conference needs to pay those teams that amount ESPN is giving). The increase in revenue is going to be minimal because you are adding 3 after a loss of 2, so net gain is miniscule. The only way current schools benefit would be if Cal, Stanford, and SMU do indeed come in at a reduced share model as being discussed so that additional media money can be distributed to current schools.

Either way, none of it is pretty, and the ACC is on its death bed with or without Cal, Stanford, and SMU. Those teams would be better off trying to work with the B12 on the same type of deal. Although I believe Stanford should try for the B1G with that model, but there is no interest there unless somehow B1G could offer that as a nugget for ND. But ND has no desire for that. ND wants their cake and to eat it as well which is why they are pushing for ACC for those schools.

At the end of the day, I don't care what happens. I just want my 'Noles out of the ACC. Not just for financial reasons.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:44 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,250,294 times
If the ACC has to lean on Cal and Stanford, all the way on the Pacific Coast, to survive, then the conference should just cease to exist.

What even is the point of conferences anymore anyway?

Old 08-29-2023, 04:34 AM

812 posts, read 832,787 times
I am not a lawyer but I would think that the ACC adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU could serve as a legit "legal exit ticket" for FSU, Clemson, and any others that vote "No" on this expansion..... (as it pertains to the GOR and whatnot). I mean, couldn't they claim, in court, this fundamentally and drastically changes the ACC and that this is not near anything what they originally "signed up for" -with their current Conference/TV contract.

Maybe in some way, it allows them to get out of the ACC w/o having to pay the 1/2 billion dollars. I am sure though that the contract, that they signed (I realize), stipulates that they give up most powers to allow the ACC to do what it wants -in the best interest of the conference (and its' member schools).... as long as what..... 2/3 agree. However, it seems like they would have an argument that adding these West Coast schools, and SMU, is not in fact in the best interest of the member schools.... with all the travel and such. It is not in the "spirit" of the ACC....as they understood it when they signed. It is like the ACC is misrepresenting them .

Again, I am not a lawyer, I am not saying it makes the current contract null and void, but it seems like it might open up some "exit doors".

Old 08-29-2023, 10:00 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
I don't even understand why the ACC wants the leftovers that the B1G & Big 12 didn't want. It brings them nothing. The fact that Notre Dame gets to vote on the matter is just ridiculous! The ACC is a hot mess. Glad that my Mountaineers are in a more stable situation.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I don't even understand why the ACC wants the leftovers that the B1G & Big 12 didn't want. It brings them nothing. The fact that Notre Dame gets to vote on the matter is just ridiculous! The ACC is a hot mess. Glad that my Mountaineers are in a more stable situation.
Because it is a numbers game....rumor is that if the ACC goes below 15 teams, then ESPN can/will renegotiate the contract and decrease the financial amount. The ACC does not want that at all. So they want the teams in BEFORE FSU/Clemson or any others leave so that doesn't happen.

FSU/Clemson should be trying to say we will say yes, but this is what we want. I am sure things like that are being discussed.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I am not a lawyer but I would think that the ACC adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU could serve as a legit "legal exit ticket" for FSU, Clemson, and any others that vote "No" on this expansion..... (as it pertains to the GOR and whatnot). I mean, couldn't they claim, in court, this fundamentally and drastically changes the ACC and that this is not near anything what they originally "signed up for" -with their current Conference/TV contract.

Maybe in some way, it allows them to get out of the ACC w/o having to pay the 1/2 billion dollars. I am sure though that the contract, that they signed (I realize), stipulates that they give up most powers to allow the ACC to do what it wants -in the best interest of the conference (and its' member schools).... as long as what..... 2/3 agree. However, it seems like they would have an argument that adding these West Coast schools, and SMU, is not in fact in the best interest of the member schools.... with all the travel and such. It is not in the "spirit" of the ACC....as they understood it when they signed. It is like the ACC is misrepresenting them .

Again, I am not a lawyer, I am not saying it makes the current contract null and void, but it seems like it might open up some "exit doors".
The only way the addition of those teams provides any easy out is if it requires a change of the ESPN-ACC media contract. That is the only thing that will change the GoR that is the roadblock.

It may open up "exit doors" in the way of negotiations, but that is it. Unless it changes the media contract, but there is no belief that it does because the media contract is believe to include a pro-rata clause already outlining the addition of teams.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:18 PM

1,992 posts, read 978,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Because it is a numbers game....rumor is that if the ACC goes below 15 teams, then ESPN can/will renegotiate the contract and decrease the financial amount. The ACC does not want that at all. So they want the teams in BEFORE FSU/Clemson or any others leave so that doesn't happen.

FSU/Clemson should be trying to say we will say yes, but this is what we want. I am sure things like that are being discussed.
^This.

Besides, FSU wants to prevent the ACC from adding so they can leave and the conference gets screwed. They are selfish like any other school.

NC State also voted 'no' to expansion. I don't see where they would go. The B1G and SEC would NOT take them. They wouldn't improve either league with their football program. And their olympic sports are OK at best.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:23 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,250,294 times
Again, what is the point of conferences anymore? And what, Oregon State and Washington State not good enough to get an invite? We're already past the point of sense from a geographic standpoint so why not?

And yet again, College football needs to become its own entity. There's no reason the other sports have to get dragged into this nonsense.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:47 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
BREAKING NEWS
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...anford-cal-smu

According to ESPN The ACC has voted to add SMU, CALI and STANFORD bringing the count to 18 for the 2024 football season

SO it is official: CONFERENCE ALIGNMENT IS BEYOND OUT OF HAND

You know I am getting old Not the OLDEST person on here by far, but old enough to remember playing electric football on Saturdays with my younger brother. We would collect extra plastic teams and paint them in common college colors so that we could could choose random NCAA matchups to pretend on Saturdays Along with a Keith Jackson impersonation.

I remember that the conferences were regional. We lived in Texas, were Longhorn fans at the time, of course, so all the Southwest Conference teams with the exception of Arkansas were in state, while Arkansas bordered the state....

All the PAC teams were in the PAC time zone, all the BIG 8 were in the Mid West.
There were a few division 1 conferences as well that no longer exist. The majority of the teams were independents too The ADVANTAGE was regional rivalries which led to more interesting games, and clear regional champions

BOWLS However, were almost all tied to conference winners and this was a disadvantage. There was no playoff, so the AP got to choose the number one team at random.
The ROSE BOWL was a Big 10 vs PAC 10 team. Usually, one sent an undefeated or one loss team to meet a or 4 loss team, but on occasion, we saw an undefeated USC vs an undefeated Michigan....

Independents had an advantage, as they could garner spots in major bowls, PITT used this in '76 to take the national title.

Now we have 14 to 18 team conferences, where rivalries will be lost in the shuffle. This could be avoided if divisions at least were limited to 6 teams, but may are abandoning this type of scheduling altogether. Which is a shame, because rivalries sell football. They make the game interesting for the fans and provide extra goals for the team.

But what would this cat expect? the NCAA has become the minor pro league of the NFL in many ways the media has run with this ruining the overall vibe of college football, taking it away from being a Saturday afternoon treat for students and alumni and turning it into this financial juggernaut that cares only about money, rankings and feeding talent to the NFL so that players can spend 1.2 seasons in the NFL then realize that without education , Walmart is really a crappy place to work.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 09-01-2023 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football