Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:37 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times

Advertisements

The addition to the clause in his contract was added in April of this year. This took place in 2015. I don't know if that could help him or not. From how I understand it, itt does state he has to report it.

Specific language that applies to Title IX, and potentially to this situation, was added to Meyer's contract extension in April.

New paragraph 4.1 (e) of Meyer's extension reads:

Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State's Title IX Athletics any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. ... For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

I do think there is more to this story, but if he knew he violated his contract. I think he's toast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:17 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,027 times
I guess the real question is, "How long will he 'retire' this time before some other school offers him MILLIONS to come and coach again?"

Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,801,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There is a lot to take in from this post.

"why not go to the police?" - She did go to the police.

"She allegedly told the wife of Urban and she was expecting what?" - well, her husband was abusing her. she was scared and probably looking for support from someone.

"There is 2 sides to every story" - there are graphic pictures of the woman with bruises after the abuse. I am sure her husband just tripped and fell, grabber her throat to break the fall.

"Charges were NEVER filed." - Two of Urban Meyer's closest friends pressured Courtney Smith to not press charges for the 2009 incident.

"how can you blame the Head Coach?" - Because it sounds like he knew about the whole situation and tried to cover it up rather than do something about it. The problem is not that Urban is at fault for domestic abuse. The problem is that it appears he knew about it, protected the abuser, and may have even had people intervene to prevent charges in 2015 in hopes the situation would not impact the program. NCAA rules state that if a coach knows about abuse, he/she has to report it. If he knew and did not report, that is a fire-able offence.
Regarding the 2015 allegations when you say
“Tried to cover it up” “intervene to prevent charges”

If that is the case he should be fired and I’m a Urban Meyer and an OSU fan. if what you say in your last paragraph is all true. He should have been fired yesterday.

I have a problem when the media breaks these “half stories” creates a frenzy and then small minded people (not talking about you) jump to conclusions. This is a huge issue in life, crime, sports and especially politics with the media and their irresponsible reporting nowadays

On a side note, I understand Meyer has a reporting duty, but does the duty terminate when police and law enforcement professionals take over? Decide on charges or against charges. I say it does. Urban is a Head Football Coach not a Sr. law enforcement analyzer.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And like that, OSU's program goes up in smoke. Everyone will be looking to poach their recruits.
OSU certainly set themselves up the past two classes and are doing well this year.

If Meyer is let go- it is bad timing for this years season, BUT it gives the University a fourth month head start to find the next guy for the following year and salvage recruiting.

Don’t sleep on Ryan Day.

Urban is an elite recruiter and he has on most ocassions spotted good assistant coaches when others move onto better positions. He’s a decent to good in game coach. His recruiting will be missed the most

Old 08-02-2018, 10:27 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,268,480 times
Quote:
There is a lot to take in from this post.

"why not go to the police?" - She did go to the police.

and they investigated TWICE and didn't file charges.

Quote:
"She allegedly told the wife of Urban and she was expecting what?" - well, her husband was abusing her. she was scared and probably looking for support from someone.

or she wanted her ex fired because of a marriage dispute. Marriage in divorces are very complicated.

Quote:
"There is 2 sides to every story" - there are graphic pictures of the woman with bruises after the abuse. I am sure her husband just tripped and fell, grabber her throat to break the fall.

the police DIDN'T FILE charges when she reported TWICE in 2015. I saw the pictures and unless the police does a proper investigation how she got those bruises you can't just go by just pictures.

Quote:
"Charges were NEVER filed." - Two of Urban Meyer's closest friends pressured Courtney Smith to not press charges for the 2009 incident. .

that's her side of the story......what about in 2015 when the POLICE investigated 2 incidents and DIDN'T file charges....did the 2 Urban Meyer's closest friends also pressured the police and the DA not to file charges?

where is your evidence on this aside from her story?

Quote:
"how can you blame the Head Coach?" - Because it sounds like he knew about the whole situation and tried to cover it up rather than do something about it. The problem is not that Urban is at fault for domestic abuse. The problem is that it appears he knew about it, protected the abuser, and may have even had people intervene to prevent charges in 2015 in hopes the situation would not impact the program. NCAA rules state that if a coach knows about abuse, he/she has to report it. If he knew and did not report, that is a fire-able offence.

because it sounds????? please, you are taking the story of this woman by just 1 interview without any evidence and you are part of the mob mentality problem in our society that any accusation is an automatic conviction and damn everybody involved.

That means Urban Meyer and his wife are lying, his 2 closest friends that you say "pressured" her not to press charges in 2009....and the police and the DA that didn't press any charges in 2015.....that's a big conspiracy there.

How did these 2 friends of the Head Coach "pressured" her not to press charges in 2009? or you just going by her story and damn the other side?

if the incidents were reported to the police and no charges were file explain to me to whom the coach had to report the allegation to? the police?

Last edited by Hellion1999; 08-02-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM

“if the incidents were reported to the police and no charges were file explain to me to whom the coach had to report the allegation to? the police?”

Regardless of what happens to Meyer. If you are requiring a person in his position to report - lawmakers need to clear this up. I would assume that after police are notified a “reporter”s duty is now extinguished unless or until law enforcement contacts the reporter and asks for an interview.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:49 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,268,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
“if the incidents were reported to the police and no charges were file explain to me to whom the coach had to report the allegation to? the police?”

Regardless of what happens to Meyer. If you are requiring a person in his position to report - lawmakers need to clear this up. I would assume that after police are notified a “reporter”s duty is now extinguished unless or until law enforcement contacts the reporter and asks for an interview.

Meyer is the head coach of a college football team....he is the coach, recruiter, teacher, baby sitter, father/mother , counselor, friend to all the players and football staff.

if you have allegations of a marriage dispute and alleged abuse of an assistant coach that was already been reported and investigated by the police and no charges were filed what are you supposed to do as a head coach? report it to the police again based on her allegations? or fired him?

if we fired players and coaching staff on just allegations by an ex in a marriage dispute with NO charges filed and no conviction in court then there would be a lot of people fired in college and the NFL.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 08-02-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:

In this case, the duty of reporting seems pretty clearly defined as sending it up the chain in a business sense. If you think you have a coach on your staff abusing someone, you tell your boss. Your boss then does with the info what they feel is appropriate. Urban, if he knew in 2015, should have told his boss. At that point, the employer can decide what course of action to take from there. It is easy to conclude that Urban might have a vested interest in not doing that, which is where some of the controversy is coming from now. We don't know what he knew or when he knew it, but clearly if he knew he should have reported. If it is found he knew and did not report, he should lose his job per his contract and NCAA rules.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
OSU certainly set themselves up the past two classes and are doing well this year.

If Meyer is let go- it is bad timing for this years season, BUT it gives the University a fourth month head start to find the next guy for the following year and salvage recruiting.

Don’t sleep on Ryan Day.

Urban is an elite recruiter and he has on most ocassions spotted good assistant coaches when others move onto better positions. He’s a decent to good in game coach. His recruiting will be missed the most
I'm not saying OSU can't recover. I'm saying that it's going to be open season on any commits Meyer has had so far. How often do you see a scandal erupt without decommitments?

Old 08-02-2018, 11:07 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Meyer is the head coach of a college football team....he is the coach, recruiter, teacher, baby sitter, father/mother , counselor, friend to all the players and football staff.

if you have allegations of a marriage dispute and alleged abuse of an assistant coach that was already been reported and investigated by the police and no charges were filed what are you supposed to do as a head coach? report it to the police again based on her allegations? or fired him?

if we fired players and coaching staff on just allegations by an ex in a marriage dispute with NO charges filed and no conviction in court then there would be a lot of people fired in college and the NFL.
Your not supposed to report it to the police, but you are required to report it to the University so they can do a legally required Title IX investigation. This is a contractual requirement at pretty much every university, not just for the football coach, but for anyone who supervises either students or other employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football