Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 02:07 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,626,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
A lot of people feel that same way. The unis they wore were a special “Country Roads” edition.
Yeah.. I get why sports teams continuously rotate uniforms now.. so they can sell 10 different alternates to die-hard meatheads. But it's a shame to me when we effectively lose perfect uniforms (like the Mountaineers' late 8os look..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 03:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,024,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Still can’t be upset about 9 wins. You’ll kill UNC.

Also - it looks like a really nice recruiting class for you all. I’ve seen Day Day Farmer play and he is a major coup for you all.

You’re going to be perennial 8-10 game winners in the big 12 and should be able to break through every few years. Really like the trajectory of your program. Next year’s game between PSU and WVU *might* be close. And you’ll all destroy sPitt.
That's your national championship every year, beating Pitt. You must look up to them.

Anyway, congrats to WVU on a nine win season.

Last edited by sluggermatt15; 12-29-2023 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-29-2023, 04:16 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,024,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Still can’t be upset about 9 wins. You’ll kill UNC.

Also - it looks like a really nice recruiting class for you all. I’ve seen Day Day Farmer play and he is a major coup for you all.

You’re going to be perennial 8-10 game winners in the big 12 and should be able to break through every few years. Really like the trajectory of your program. Next year’s game between PSU and WVU *might* be close. And you’ll all destroy sPitt.
WVU is going to beat **** U's butt in Morgantown next year. You heard it here first. They won't forget that James Franklin ran up the score on them this year in State College. Like Chris said, WVU has a solid team coming back and recruits coming in. Their coach also saved his job this year. Momentum looks up for them.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:37 PM

6,151 posts, read 9,232,791 times
I love the 3 way trash talking going on in this thread! It just goes to show how important regionality is for college football! West Virginia might not beat either Penn State or Pitt next year, but the passion that it brings out in me and others is what makes this sport so great!

Imagine if we could get back to a place where NE teams are playing each other instead of teams in California, Arizona, and Oregon. Pitt and Penn State need to play every year. Pitt and West Virginia need to play every year. WVU and Virginia Tech need to play every year. It makes too much sense.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
WVU is going to beat **** U's butt in Morgantown next year. You heard it here first. They won't forget that James Franklin ran up the score on them this year in State College. Like Chris said, WVU has a solid team coming back and recruits coming in. Their coach also saved his job this year. Momentum looks up for them.
It will definitely be competitive. The atmosphere will be electric!

Old 01-02-2024, 12:53 PM

4,121 posts, read 2,456,001 times
Looks like Coach Brown has saved his job for now.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Looks like Coach Brown has saved his job for now.
Yeah, but expectations for next year are going to be unreasonably high. Some idiotic Mountaineer fans keep throwing around conference championship and playoff contender comments like anything less would be a complete failure. IMO, he's going to need to put together another 9 win season.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:34 AM

The Annual Gold & Blue Game was held this past Saturday. Over 18,000 came out to watch the spring practice season to wrap up with its final scrimmage. Here's a few takeaways.

1. Celebrity Coaches // Two of the biggest names in WVU football history (for different reasons) came to take on the role of honorary coaches for he scrimmage. Mountaineer legends Pat White and Pat MacAfee were brought back, and had a huge splash for the program. White of course is arguably the greatest player in program history, while MacAfee is one of the biggest current names in sports media. It was great to see both of them return to Mountaineer Field together, as they were both apart of a golden era of Mountaineer football!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHYqVutE_WM

Pat MacAfee of course is West Virginia's biggest homer! I'm ok with that, and his platform will help keep West Virginia relevant in an evolving college football landscape.

2. New Uniforms // After putting up with subpar uniforms for over 12 seasons (aside from 2 editions of "Country Roads" unis), the Mountaineers will finally be rocking some threads I can get behind! The wardrobe features elements from past eras of WVU football.

Shoulder stripes - Pat White / Geno Smith ear (2007 - 2012)
Sleeve logo - Don Nehlen / Big East era (1980 - 2012)
Gold Pants with 2 blue stripes / "Nehlen Stripes" (1980-2002ish)
White Pants with blue/gold/blue stripe / Rich Rod era (early 2000s)

I love these uniforms!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYtOJ8l59gw

Additionally, West Virginia will release another alternate uniform sometime between now and August. It's believed to be an all black set that will be apart of a "Coal Rush" fan promotion for the season opener verse Penn State, where everyone will where black. I'm excited to see how that turns out.

3. Future Stadium Renovations // AD Wren Baker teased the coming announcement of a $200 million press box and box seat renovation. The aim of the project is to completely overhaul and expand the existing press box and add additional suites for fans. This is something that has been discussed for years, and might be finally coming to fruition. No renderings have been released, but it would be a huge addition to what has been an ongoing and extensive modernization of the stadium in recent years. Nearly $200 million has already been spend on new concourses, athletic training areas, locker rooms, and scoreboards. A new press box will no doubt be the most noticeable change to the stadium in years!

4. The Entertainment Aspect // The University has really changed the model for what a spring game is supposed to be like. For years the emphasis was always on the scrimmage itself, but that is no longer the case. Now, the emphasis is on fan experience and interaction. Bringing in past players, fan and player competitions, concerts, food trucks, inflatables, autographs, etc... The Gold Blue Game is more for health of the fanbase then it is for the actual players getting better.

5. The Game Itself // Was very dull. No fireworks, and appeared to be more of a stalemate than anything. Most of the key players had limited roles, and a bunch of no names had their time to shine. This of course was all intentional! Coach Brown wasn't about to reveal his playbook or arsenal of players if he didn't have to. I believe that we have a good team, and if the cards fall right we could have a great season that puts us in the thick of the conference race. That by default puts us in the hunt for a playoff. But with the new look Big 12, who the heck knows what this season will look like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ14UlVGG3I

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

Old 04-30-2024, 08:44 AM

4,121 posts, read 2,456,001 times
^^^^ All these spring games are turning into revenue generating events. The spring game is more exhibition than anything. Making sure players don't get injured and all. Pat White? Wow, that's a blast from the past. Didn't know McAfee was an alum. Cool uniforms and team. Looking forward to the game this fall against PSU.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^ All these spring games are turning into revenue generating events. The spring game is more exhibition than anything. Making sure players don't get injured and all.
That's a great thing. It get's the fans engaged during the off season and is very family friendly. The game has essentially become two hand touch. Even the receivers weren't allowed to be fully tackled in open field.

Quote:
Pat White? Wow, that's a blast from the past. Didn't know McAfee was an alum.
MacAfee was the kicker/punter for West Virginia between 2005-2008. That was a "golden era" in WVU football history, as they won both the Sugar Bowl (2006) and Fiesta Bowl (2008) during his tenure. He however was not the most famous Patrick on that team. Pat White was! MacAfee was a big personality back then, which no doubt helped fuel his impressive rise in sports media. While with the Colts, he made the necessary connections to get to where he's at now.

Quote:
Cool uniforms and team. Looking forward to the game this fall against PSU.
I really like the uniforms. They incorporate some traditional elements that we haven't seen in years, but they're also very sleek looking.

I believe that West Virginia will really turn heads with this opener. They might not pull the upset off, but it certainly won't be a blow out. A huge returning group from a 9-4 squad last year. Plus, it's a home game. I doubt there will be room even for a Pigmy in that place! It might not be Happy Valley, but Mountaineer Field is nothing to sneeze at.

Penn State better look out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football