Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Coal or Gas
Charcoal or wood- Is there anything else? 3 75.00%
Gas- eh, turn knob, push button, dogs done in 10 is my bag... 1 25.00%
Neither- Can't stand to cook outdoors 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

That's charcoal, my friends! (Only becuase I have BBQ on my mind!)

Which is it Mountaineers? Charcoal (wood or other) or gas for grilling and BBQ's? I'm a purist and use nothing but charcoal or wood hunks burned down to coals for BBQ and grilling. I tried a cheapo gas grill once. It fell apart after one years use and I sent it packing to the recycling center.

Nothing beats my 17 year old Weber kettle or my vertical wood smoker, IMO.

(Now if I can figure out how to do one of those poll-thingies I'd add it on..)

Oh and I'll add this.. This thread is worthless without pics!
This was a venison roast I grilled last summer. Soaked in ale and herbs, wrapped with maple cured bacon and served with a fresh rasberry glaze with ramp biscuits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/126-2696_IMG.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM

And here is a ham I smoked in my vertical smoker. I used white oak and hickory, burned down so as to give it a light haze.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:06 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
You did have to post this right at dinnertime, didn't you?

I prefer charcoal, and it's all we use when camping. (If you don't count the electric griddle ) Not much tastes better than a steak (or a hot dog) from a charcoal grill.

But at home, it's gas. More consistent, isn't as fussy, easier to do a variety of things with its two main burners plus the sidecar. I noticed at WalMart that the price for 20lb of propane is almost $18 now; not long ago it was between $14 and $15.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Threerun: I hate it when somebody really rubs it in...those cooking pics were humbling...but I saw that bottle of Fosters...the beer that the aussies call XXX and will not bother to drink...have a heart man...find some Tooey's and see what a great Oz beer can taste like...whew!
I 'ope me brother in law doesn't see this blog..

I've cheated on the barbe for years...cook with gas...add a few chunks of charcoal on the side to smoke and keep a huge chunk of oak or hickory on the burner to give it all some real smoke...am ready for summer as we speak...

Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 PM

C'mon give me credit! Those Fosters are always on sale (read cheap) and make for great marinades! Always handy to have around when it's time to soak the roasts or ribs..

I prefer Saranac or Yuengling beers myself. Pale Ale, Black & Tan's.. those are the ones that wash down well with that smokey wood fired BBQ..

Gas.. Sheesh- I'm losing faith here! If you're looking for a good compromise grill- the Weber Performer kettle lights the charcoal with gas and in 10 minutes, you're good to go. A little pricey, but receives rave reviews.

I now own an electric spit that fits to my weber kettle. A couple weeks ago I did a pork and venison loan roast.. Man was that good. I've got those pics too..

Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Fosters is like drinking a cake of yeast...you're forgivun'

Now camping out is a different animal...wood only under a cast iron skillet just like the old folks...the real old folks...
Next time I'm in Bridgeport and its evening, I'll ask the settlers there just where you live...
I'm sure the secrets out if you are cooking like that in the 'hood...ha ha

Old 05-06-2008, 04:23 PM

Oh they have yet to experience 'the smoker'.. In due time, in due time..

I'm going to my friends place this weekend to make 60lbs of smoked venison bratwurst and kielbasa. He's got the same set up I do..

I'm not hard to find. I'm the recently moved 'redneck' with a Dodge 2500 diesel and a bluetick hound. I'm sure theres been a buzz about it with the muckity-mucks here in town.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I noticed at WalMart that the price for 20lb of propane is almost $18 now; not long ago it was between $14 and $15.
During hunting season we use propane for the griddles and outdoor burners at camp. I used to take the 20lb bottles to the local RV supply place in Falling Waters WV and get them re-filled for $9.99 each. It may have gone up a tad, but he was always 1/2 the cost of Sheetz or Wally-world.

As a matter of fact, my old house used propane for cooking. I had a 100lb tank I would haul to him for refills every 4-5 months. It cost $45-ish to fill it.

You may want to shop around.

(Of course if you used charcoal or free WOOD this would be moot )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia