Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times

Advertisements

I was surfing and "tripped" across this site and saw people talking about either living in WV now or in the past. I was born and raised in Charleston and moved to the Atlanta area in 1983. It took me 3 yrs for my homesickness to let up "a little". Now when I go home, everything has changed so much, I feel like a stranger, yet I miss the friendly people people there. I think it is much easier for a person from a small town to adjust to a large city than it is for a person from a large city to adjust to a small town. The older I get, the more I'm thinking of moving back home when I retire. I do agree with a few of you that the lovely old home on the East and West side are now gone and what a HUGE lost for the city
Just wanted to send out a big HELLO to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
WVgirl, look again. I've got one of those lovely old homes in the hills of charleston. Just have to do your homework and know your neighbors.

One thing I noticed when we look backwards and see changes... sometimes those changes aren't really on the outside, but we ourselves have changed. Our memories have more to do with where our head was at when the memories were made. We're far more critical and sometimes jaded as adults than we were as children.

Go back to your elementary school; somebody shrank the desks!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Hello to you. I live in Chas and love it here.
I grew up in a town of 60,000 which was considered a small town because it was sandwiched between 2 huge cities. It can be frustrating at times in Charleston when shopping for a certain item, etc. but I would never want to go back to the craziness associated with living in a "big Metro" area.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,156 times
I would've thought you'd find many many fellow WV'ians in Atlanta.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 16,912 times
Default retire in WV

Hi everybody,

I know this question must have popped out like 1000 times, I'll ask anyway. I am semiretired 62 years old working from home on my PC, my wife,same age a retired registered nurse. I grew up in the mountains of Europe, my wife is originally from TN.
We are dying to leave NJ and move into the mountains or a small town. We don't need any schools or serious employment, maybe something part time, my wife Jeri is too restless to stay home, she always must do something constructive, like building a nuclear plant or something.
Will appreciate any suggestions or advice

Thank you

frank

Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan47 View Post
Hi everybody,

I know this question must have popped out like 1000 times, I'll ask anyway. I am semiretired 62 years old working from home on my PC, my wife,same age a retired registered nurse. I grew up in the mountains of Europe, my wife is originally from TN.
We are dying to leave NJ and move into the mountains or a small town. We don't need any schools or serious employment, maybe something part time, my wife Jeri is too restless to stay home, she always must do something constructive, like building a nuclear plant or something.
Will appreciate any suggestions or advice

Thank you

frank
Frank, ... Check out Morgantown. It is a great place for retirement. Being the location of a major university, there are cultural activities galore, there is lots of new housing and some nice older homes too, the mountains are close by, and there are world class walking/hiking trails with dozens of restaurants. It's a vibrant place with a small town feel and the amenities of a larger city of 100,000 or more having received awards from several national publications/organizations for quality of life.

Morgantown Awards Continue to grow

Plus, if you want to get to a larger town Pittsburgh is a relatively short drive up I-79. You can live in small college town safety and visit top flight cultural attractions with ease.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
A couple of other places to consider, if living with twenty thousand college kids doesn't appeal to you.

Elkins, in Randolph County, and Lewisburg, in Greenbrier County, are both smaller than Morgantown and places where the pace of life isn't so fast.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Default Retire in WV

Mountaineer and Snorpus,

Thanks both of you for your help. We currently live in a small town in NJ, population about 7000, looking for something similar or smaller, possibly with 2+ acres..
Back to educating myself with the towns you mentioned.. Elkins is nice,we spent a week couple of years ago in Davis, which is not too far.
Thank you again. The speed of your replies is unbelievable. I thought that West Virginians are more relaxed.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Grafton is the little town in NCWV that is overlooked. Just a skip from Morgantown...Pittsburgh is 'just up the road for that big city feel with all the trimmings. You will do ok!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Grafton is the little town in NCWV that is overlooked. Just a skip from Morgantown...Pittsburgh is 'just up the road for that big city feel with all the trimmings. You will do ok!
Thank you David. Looks like a cool little town.That could be one of the options. I also looked at the vicinity of Grafton, like Bridgeport and Farmington, where there are more choices with houses that have some land around.
What about the area around the National forest like Marlinton, Webster Springs or Dalley?

Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown