Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 08:53 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
TCU was ranked and heavily favored in this one. I was listening to Mad Dog radio after the game. The downside of success at Colorado might mean Deion is gone after this season. And his kid could go pro. His son completed 80% of his passes for over 500 yards. I am a Buffalo fan until they play UCLA on Oct 28th. They have Oregon and USC back to back 9/23 and 9/30. . That will be a good benchmark to how good they are.
Yeah I really wasnt sure why TCU was ranked honestly. We lost our QB and a few other weapons to the draft. But I did think they would be able to edge Colorado especially playing at home, shockingly enough the offense wasnt bad but good God that defense was just atrocious. Totally opposite of what I was expecting.

This is going to be a very interesting season for Shedeur. He's been essentially handed the QB spot at every school he's been at thanks to his dad, yet you cant say that it's purely nepotism, the kid can actually play. He was great at Jackson State, but now we get to see him for the first time against real big time defenses. I feel bad for him honestly. It's hard enough being a D1 QB in a top conference, but with the added pressure of fighting the perception that he's only playing because of his famous dad makes it ten times worse. He was able to handle it at Jackson but the spotlight and pressure is going to be 100 times more intense at Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 10:55 PM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
[quote=biafra4life;65779641]TCU alum and Deion fan here.
Great win by Colorado. With all the drama in the offseason I was afraid it was going to be a horror show this season, and while it's still too early to write that off completely, you always take the wins when you get them.

Only clouds in this win is giving up 40 points to a rebuilding TCU team. If it's going to be shootouts all the time then eventually the Buffs will end up on the wrong end of a few of them. But again, great win. This will be the only game in which I was hoping Coach Prime loses. Pulling for him the rest of the way![/QUOTE

I was really pulling for TCU in the championship game and was really bummed out at not only the outcome, but the final score. TCU was the obvious Cinderella story and earned their spot by winning the Big 12 and beating Michigan. But in their loss, made the Bulldogs look way better than they were.

That being said, the Buffs are back. TCU was a great test because they should have had all the motivation to come back on fire. My personal opinion of some of those wacky teams in the Big 12, such as TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, etc., defense is an afterthought.

Back in the day, when I used to be a huge CU Buff fan, I was impressed by that team and their ability to play more like a pro team, winning games by scores such as 21-20, 21-17, etc. The rest of college had seemed to become a track meet and there again, defense was an afterthought.

In a game like this, but Buffs just did what was necessary. They came to win, and I credit Prime for that, as well as every player who bought into his system.

For most teams around the NCAA, it's cupcake week, with the Sooners scoring 73, the Ducks scoring 80. I am much more impressed with a good old showdown with TCU battling a foe from the Big 12 when the Buffalo used to roam supreme.

Go Buffs.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:19 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yeah I really wasnt sure why TCU was ranked honestly. We lost our QB and a few other weapons to the draft. But I did think they would be able to edge Colorado especially playing at home, shockingly enough the offense wasnt bad but good God that defense was just atrocious. Totally opposite of what I was expecting.

This is going to be a very interesting season for Shedeur. He's been essentially handed the QB spot at every school he's been at thanks to his dad, yet you cant say that it's purely nepotism, the kid can actually play. He was great at Jackson State, but now we get to see him for the first time against real big time defenses. I feel bad for him honestly. It's hard enough being a D1 QB in a top conference, but with the added pressure of fighting the perception that he's only playing because of his famous dad makes it ten times worse. He was able to handle it at Jackson but the spotlight and pressure is going to be 100 times more intense at Colorado.

You can't read too much into one game. But if you are a Buffalo fan last year they won 1 game. And that took overtime against Cal. They fired their coach mid season. They gave up 40 points in all but 2 games. Now they gave up 42 yesterday too. So that is a concern. But when you match last years win total the first game of the year at least this year won't be worse. They are now favored against Nebraska previously they were a 10 point underdog. I think they blow Nebraska out. What happened to Nebraska? I remember in my college days going to see UCLA / Nebraska at the Rose Bowl. They blew us out and were one of the elite teams in the country year after year. Seemed like there were more Nebraska fans at the game. But yes I would take the Buffaloes next week. But they need to play better defense.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:36 AM

A Buffs fan wouldn't torture themselves with that thing the Boulder program put out last year.

In fact, a decent new coach might do something drastic such as drop about 80 players and start over. Oh, what a coincidence.

Playing TCU and other Big 14 teams around the Red River Valley leads to shootouts, example TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, etc. Recall the TCU game versus the resurgent Kansas Jayhawks. They scored 55 on Oklahoma and 51 on Michigan last season. Catch my drift? If not, no matter, I'm not gonna splain it again.

I'm not so concerned about Coach Prime's plan to coach up the defense going forward.

I don't expect the Buffs to be automatic Victor's of any game this season, but if the cannot be very successful against the Cornshuckers and the Rams, they are in trouble for the next two after that with the ducks and Trujans.

Old 09-03-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
A Buffs fan wouldn't torture themselves with that thing the Boulder program put out last year.

In fact, a decent new coach might do something drastic such as drop about 80 players and start over. Oh, what a coincidence.

Playing TCU and other Big 14 teams around the Red River Valley leads to shootouts, example TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, etc. Recall the TCU game versus the resurgent Kansas Jayhawks. They scored 55 on Oklahoma and 51 on Michigan last season. Catch my drift? If not, no matter, I'm not gonna splain it again.

I'm not so concerned about Coach Prime's plan to coach up the defense going forward.

I don't expect the Buffs to be automatic Victor's of any game this season, but if the cannot be very successful against the Cornshuckers and the Rams, they are in trouble for the next two after that with the ducks and Trujans.
Oh I think they lose to the Oregon and USC. My guess is going 6-6 would be a great season for Coach Prime, especially given they won just one game last year. The key for him as a coach going forward is can he recruit the elite linemen on both sides of the ball. Yes, he will always be able to pull the receivers and DBs but the great teams need lineplay. So far I dont know that he's been able to recruit top talent at those positions yet, but its early days.

Old 09-03-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You can't read too much into one game. But if you are a Buffalo fan last year they won 1 game. And that took overtime against Cal. They fired their coach mid season. They gave up 40 points in all but 2 games. Now they gave up 42 yesterday too. So that is a concern. But when you match last years win total the first game of the year at least this year won't be worse. They are now favored against Nebraska previously they were a 10 point underdog. I think they blow Nebraska out. What happened to Nebraska? I remember in my college days going to see UCLA / Nebraska at the Rose Bowl. They blew us out and were one of the elite teams in the country year after year. Seemed like there were more Nebraska fans at the game. But yes I would take the Buffaloes next week. But they need to play better defense.
Yep, I remember the old Nebraska teams well too. Eric Crouch, Ahman Green, etc. I think Nebraska's downfall has been a combination of the times changing, other schools improving, and for whatever reason, the powers that be thinking that the brand name would be enough to keep the school relevant and competitive. That has clearly not been the case. Combine that with the fact that there is no talent rich pool near by to recruit from. They've always had to go to the south or elsewhere to pull talented players. That worked as long as they were winning. Once that ended, so did the interest. I really dont know if that school will ever come back to what it once was. It will require an AD who's willing to think outside the box, maybe grab a young, innovative coach who can recruit well and make the team attractive, to heck with all the old traditional crap, and everyone, especially the fans over there would have to be patient, and more importantly, accept the fact that this isnt 1980 anymore. Nebraska at best can aim to be a middle of the pack team in the BIG. Nothing more. Dont hold your breath on that one though. I think their fans are still living in the time machine.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
...especially given they won just one game last year...
Prime made a few changes... water over the bridge... in the past, buried.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:58 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Like most college programs, the CU football program has had its ups and downs. Going back to the early 60's and the Sonny Grandelius era, Sonny won a big 8 championship and got to the Orange Bowl. He had a 20-11 record and was into his third season and was fired when it was discovered that he had created a slush fund for recruits. They were put on probation for 2 years and no games would be televised regarding CU games. He went on to be an assistant coach with a couple NFL clubs, Detroit and Philly.

Eddie Crowder brought the program back to respectability. If it wasn't for Nebraska and Oklahoma, I honestly believe that CU could have been in a position for a national championship. One of the games I always remember (I was there) was when CU curb stomped Penn State 41-13. He coached for 11 years, went 67-49-2, then became the athletic director. His last real great moment was beating Oklahoma in his final season, whipping 2nd ranked Oklahoma 20-14.

Bill Mallory came along and coached them to a 35-25 record and won the Big 8 championship in 1976. And was dismissed because CU felt that Chuck Fairbanks could put them to the top of the heap.

Big mistake. Chuck Fairbanks set that program back a couple decades .He was a national championship coach with Oklahoma, coached for the New England Patriots for a few years and then went 7-26-1 with the Buffaloes. The one game I never forget is Oklahoma 82, Colorado 42 in Fairbanks last season. CU had paid a bonkers price to get him, but after Chuck left football, he was doing just fine money wise, opening several car dealerships. UGH!

I'll work on the last few decades in the next few days or so.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Yep, I remember the old Nebraska teams well too. Eric Crouch, Ahman Green, etc. I think Nebraska's downfall has been a combination of the times changing, other schools improving, and for whatever reason, the powers that be thinking that the brand name would be enough to keep the school relevant and competitive. That has clearly not been the case. Combine that with the fact that there is no talent rich pool near by to recruit from. They've always had to go to the south or elsewhere to pull talented players. That worked as long as they were winning. Once that ended, so did the interest. I really dont know if that school will ever come back to what it once was. It will require an AD who's willing to think outside the box, maybe grab a young, innovative coach who can recruit well and make the team attractive, to heck with all the old traditional crap, and everyone, especially the fans over there would have to be patient, and more importantly, accept the fact that this isnt 1980 anymore. Nebraska at best can aim to be a middle of the pack team in the BIG. Nothing more. Dont hold your breath on that one though. I think their fans are still living in the time machine.
Looking at their coaching history. Tom Osborne. He was there for 25 years. Never lost more than 3 games. Bob Devaney. He was there for 10 years before that and really turned them from an average team to an elite one. Then they just made a lot of questionable coaching hires. Now they have not had a winning season since 2016.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Oh I think they lose to the Oregon and USC. My guess is going 6-6 would be a great season for Coach Prime, especially given they won just one game last year. The key for him as a coach going forward is can he recruit the elite linemen on both sides of the ball. Yes, he will always be able to pull the receivers and DBs but the great teams need lineplay. So far I dont know that he's been able to recruit top talent at those positions yet, but its early days.
I think 6-6 is doable. Nebraska and Colorado St are at home. I think they win both. USC and Oregon they have no chance. WSU, ASU, Arizona and Stanford. They could go 2-2 in those games. And UCLA, Oregon State who is ranked 18th and Utah. The might win one of those games. That would put them at 6-6. They could go 7-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football