Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM

203 posts, read 326,752 times

Advertisements

This is more of a dream league

champ from each conference goes into a 8 team tournament
D1-A and D1-AA teams can play post season bowl games
D1-AA can earn a D1-A spot in their column by out performing a D1-A team over a period of 8-10 years (various measures used)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,456 times
NCAA:

20 team SEC mega conference.

SEC West:
Missouri
Ole Miss
Mississipi State
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Vanderbilt

SEC East:
UNC
Duke
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Florida
South Carolina
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky

Old 12-21-2012, 05:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I would make the SEC four divisions of eight

SEC North
Kentucky
Louisville
Vandy
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina St
North Carolina

SEC West
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas
Texas A&M
SMU
Arkansas
Oklahoma St
TCU

SEC South
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Miss St
Southern Miss
Georgia Tech
Georgia
LSU

SEC East
Clemson
South Carolina
Florida
Miami
Duke
South Florida
Florida St
Wake Forest

A team would play everyone in their division, plus four teams from another division. For example Alabama's schedule would look something like this for 2013.

9/7 Colorado State
9/14 Georgia
9/21 @LSU
9/28 @ Miami
10/12 Ole Miss
10/19 Tennessee
10/26@ Miss St
11/2 @Georgia Tech
11/9 Southern Miss
11/16 Texas
11/23 @Auburn
11/30 Conference Playoff
12/7 Conference title game

The winner of each division would play in a playoff format that would rotate. Even years would be North vs West, South vs East. In odd years North vs South, East vs West.

The winner of those two games would play in the conference title game.
This is darn near perfect with a few amendments necessary.

Remove Mizzou and replace with Texas Tech. And it's a toss up between SMU/Baylor....with SMU having more success historically and Baylor ascending in the present.

Either way, great job. This would be the Conference to End All Conferences.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
This is more of a dream league

champ from each conference goes into a 8 team tournament
D1-A and D1-AA teams can play post season bowl games
D1-AA can earn a D1-A spot in their column by out performing a D1-A team over a period of 8-10 years (various measures used)
I don't post much these days, but had to delurk for this.

Why would Fresno be in D1-AA? They're the co-champion of their conference this year and easily beat a lot of the teams you have listed in the Mountain conference. Just seems weird that they would be dropped down a level while teams like UNLV, New Mexico St., etc. would still be in D1-A. Bulldogs just never get respect....

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
I'd call it "The Big Country Conference"

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina

Alabama
Tennessee
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
BYU
USC
Washington
UCLA

Of course, no one would make it out of any of these mega conferences without 4 or 5 losses. lols.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM

996 posts, read 1,898,705 times
Big XVI: (Big 16)

Big 12 East:
West Virginia
Notre Dame
Clemson
Florida State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Louisville

Big 12 West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston
SMU

Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't post much these days, but had to delurk for this.

Why would Fresno be in D1-AA? They're the co-champion of their conference this year and easily beat a lot of the teams you have listed in the Mountain conference. Just seems weird that they would be dropped down a level while teams like UNLV, New Mexico St., etc. would still be in D1-A. Bulldogs just never get respect....
...and after the way we played against SMU, I guess we don't deserve it! Fresno State often plays poorly in bowl games, but this was one of the worst in a while. I heard they were partying too much, although a lot of is just it's really hard to beat a June Jones team in Hawaii, even if it's some other team from the mainland.

We still had a good regular season I guess.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM

203 posts, read 326,752 times
Update from by previous "Dream League" outline
This is brought over from another thread since it fits here better.

Three step process could actually make this happen

1) THE ROSE LEAGUE: BigTen and Pac-12 decide to merge (an aliance was discussed recently, but failed) to form a "League". Along with the merger they also invite Pitt, Boston College, and Navy with the understanding from Notre Damn that if this all goes through, they will join as the 30th member since every major rivalry (except Army) will be scheduled yearly in this new League. Divisions within the league can be made made for other sports, but not for football.

2) THE SUGAR LEAGUE: Following this example the SEC, Big12, and ACC merge. Syracuse requests to opt out and join the Rose League, meaning the Sugar League has 35 members, and the Rose League is considering expansion.

3) The two league negotiate a new system of bowl games, league tournaments, scheduling (6 protected rivalry games [with a few exceptions], 10 league games [no exceptions], 2 more [FBS only] games scheduled at will), and a national championship game that pits the two league champions against each other (like the old MLB system). Also the leagues expand to 40 teams so all legit playoff contenders are in a league, and nearly all traditional rivalries are accounted for.

I found complete FBS rankings data from 1-120+ a while back, and used this to find average BCS-era, and last-5-year rankings of every team. Then the top teams that I actually thought the leagues would agree on where added (i.e. N.Ill and Toledo were passed over for better football+academics+TVmarket+rivalries options) to get the leagues to 40 each.

Here is what that produces

Columns of teams show how they might group basketball divisions, or other sports.

I had a list of traditional rivalries in college football, so I did a quick cross-schedule to see how each school would probably try to lock in their yearly rivalry games.... Red/Blue are major traditional rivals, lighter colors are traditional conference foes, or sometimes a new matchup of interest made to meet the 6 game minimum.

Here are the Sugar League rivalry games:

And here are the Rose League rivalry games:

Here I also added randomized games (the extra "1's") to fill out the remainder of the schedule so each teams has 10 league games. just to see how it might play out.

Last edited by jasomm; 02-22-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,281,777 times
The Big Ten, as I think it should have been:

East Division
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame

West Division
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri

Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,670 times
I wish there were 8 nine team conferences. 4 home 4 away games play every team every year. Champions go into an 8 team playoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football