Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You think this would worK?
Yes 4 15.38%
No 13 50.00%
Maybe, but it needs tweeking 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,918,744 times

Advertisements

Last night, some forumers brought something up that I found interesting. Since the Mountain West may not become a BCS conference, some are suggesting that the top MWC schools and Boise State could join BCS conferences.
Also, there's talk of Mizzou leaving the Big XII, and someone brought up Colorado leaving, so why not? Let's see how it might look....

Green = new school

BIG XII

North

- Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St.

South

- Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Pac 10

Northwest

- Boise St., Cal, Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, Washington, WSU

Southwest

- Arizona, ASU, BYU, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Utah

Big Ten (really twelve if Mizzou is added)

East

- Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Penn St., Purdue

West

- Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Wisconsin

And some one's gotta fill that spot U of H will leave behind, so maybe put North Texas or one of the Louisiana SunBelt schools..... or move one FCS school up, like UT-Arlington, Texas State maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
I like it.

But could Boise State really be competitive in the Pac10 in other sports ?

( I haven't researched Boise State's other sports )

Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Well this is just based on football and what people have been talking about and what they want.

I'm not sure how Boise St. would fair in other sports.

If there were a re-alignment, I think this would be best.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,028 times
I would have no problem with that re-alignment. That would make the Big 12 north more competitive and the Big 12 south would remain competitive with TCU and Houston added.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,410,981 times
Awesome thread. I like most of what I see, but I will share my ideas when I get home. I am super busy here at work.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,098,643 times
I like it a lot - especially Mizzou to the Big 10. Since Notre Dame refuses to come to the adult table to eat, Mizzou would be a neat addition. I've also heard Louisville I think it was considering joining the Big 10.

I also think Boise State could compete with the Pac-10 in basketball in short time. They have a legitimate college basketball arena - a nice, new facility - and I'm sure a lot of kids would consider them moreso if they were in a major conference. It's a no-brainer due to how bad the Pac-10 is this year in basketball - that conference is god-awful this season.

I like this a lot actually.

The one caveat I had was that I felt the Pac-10 were given a lot of teams. I probably wouldn't add Colorado to the Pac-10 - their football program has been in shambles for 5 years now and their basketball program is almost non-existent. Maybe they should move to a lesser conference.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,659 times
Overall interesting.

Still the Big 10 will have major balance issues. PSU, OSU and Michigan in one division? That's worse than the Big XII south.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM

I guess the Pac 10 could ax Washington State out of the conference and Colorado could go to the Mountain West....

Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,461,244 times
Interesting realignment. I could see the Pac-10 taking Colorado and Utah. Other than academics, it is a simple case of how much of the tv market and revenue from ticket sales that a college will bring to the Pac. Idaho (Boise) is a rather small market. Colorado and the Plains region is much larger, which will add both money and exposure. Boise adds very little to the Pac. Sure, they have been competitive in football, but in every other sport, no way! Basketball is a very rare exception this year. BYU has some non-sport restrictions that would prevent them to join the Pac-10 (i.e playing on Sundays).

Now, looking into academics, only CU offers as much as Pac-10 schools in terms of research, rated programs/schools, and reputation.

IMO, only CU and Utah would be a good fit. Wazzu could get axed and we could add Long Beach Poly. The Jackrabbits would be more competitive and probably have more fans at their games.

Last edited by Acuda; 01-12-2010 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM

8,983 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Overall interesting.

Still the Big 10 will have major balance issues. PSU, OSU and Michigan in one division? That's worse than the Big XII south.
This is likely to happen regardless who the Big 10 invites as the 12th member, unless they create some bizarre north south allignment

north:

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern

South:

Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Mizzou/Rutgers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football