Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Welcome to the Big Ten!

Nebraska is getting too much love this offseason. What will Martinez do when they Big Ten teams load the box (and stop the run, which most good big ten teams can do). The Big ten has been chasing Denard Robinson and Terell Pryor around for the past two years- Martinez is just another guy. Nebraska's style on offense plays in right into the hands of all the other good Big Ten Teams.

I think Wisconsin and Ohio State are better teams and are balanced across the board. Newsflash to all the Buckeye Haters- they recruit 4 and 5 star talent every year they have depth and guys waiting (playing now) that can start and thrive in most places. I wouldn't be shocked if they go to another BCS game this year. The 4th best team in the Big Ten stuff has got to stop and will eventually.

Nebraska would also have their hands full with Penn State and Michigan St.

I think Nebraska matches up well with Michigan and Northwestern.

Wisconsin's Oline vs. OSU front 7 will tell you everythng you need to know about the Big Ten this year. That battle will decide the conference.
I'll give you Wisconsin and Ohio State but to say that Nebraska is on the same level as Northwestern or Michigan is just ridiculous. The Huskers went 10-4 two years in a row while. Meanwhile Michigan has won a total of 12 games and Northwestern 15. Are you telling me that there's a five game to seven game difference between the Big XII and the B1G? Remember, this ain't the SEC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,867,015 times
BTW, I never said they were going to be a bad team, I just don't think they'll win the conference. They had it pretty easy in their old conference in recent years since they usually only had maybe one or two other teams in their division that were any good.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 AM

3,399 posts, read 2,847,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I'll give you Wisconsin and Ohio State but to say that Nebraska is on the same level as Northwestern or Michigan is just ridiculous. The Huskers went 10-4 two years in a row while. Meanwhile Michigan has won a total of 12 games and Northwestern 15. Are you telling me that there's a five game to seven game difference between the Big XII and the B1G? Remember, this ain't the SEC.
Where did i say they were on the same level? I said Nebraska matches up well with Michigan and Northwestern. I think both UM and NW are capable of beating Nebraska- if Nebraska beats itself.

8 loses in two years- not exactly something to hang your hat on. I know this isn't the SEC but contrary to what national pundits will tell you- Ohio State has SEC talent and Wisconsin is a challenge for anyone because of their tremendous size and strength up front. Michigan State finally has a coach and they are recruiting better. If Michigan wakes up (sadly I think they will) and Penn State finds someone to energize their program- we could see SEC soon.

I don't know Nebraska's schedule but if and when they Wiscy, OSU, Penn St. and Mich St. no matter where they play- there D better come to play because I don't see their one dimensional offense getting it done.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,207,644 times
A few things talent doesn't mean everything for Ohio St. Texas recruits the best talent out of anyone in the country and went 5-7 last season. Nebraska was pulling top 5 recruiting classes when Bill Cahallan was coach and couldn't win, it takes more than 5* recruits.

Also the Big 12 North has won 2 BCS games. The B1G Ten Legends division teams have won 2 BCS games. So the Big 12 North wasn't much less competitive than the Legends has been recently.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM

200 posts, read 296,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Most of the talent in the Big 12 was in the South division. I think there's just a big jump in competition from going to the Big 12 North to the Big 10. Some of those North division teams probably should be in a mid-major if you just take into consideration their level of play.

And at this stage, the opinions of all the various sportswriters and voters mean about as much as mine does.
Top to bottom, the Big 10 has more parity than the Big 12, but I don't think there's much of a difference in terms of quality of play. This past weekend, the Big 12 as a conference won all of their season openers while the Big 10 lost 2 (granted, one of those was at USC). I don't think the Huskers will have too much of a struggle adjusting to the Big 10 the next couple of years. As a former member of the Big 12, the Huskers were 7-1 against Big 10 opponents, and 5-1 since 2000 which was the Huskers' worst decade since the 1960s. None of those opponents included tOSU or Wisconsin, but this year alone will give us a chance to see how we match against the best of the Big 10 currently.

For this year, I expect the Huskers to finish with around 3 or 4 losses. The Huskers will most likely lose at Camp Randell but where the other losses come from, are up in the air for me. Ohio State is still loaded with talent despite Tressel and Pryor gone, but its a home game so who knows. I'm thinking we lose to Penn State just for the fact that Happy Valley has never been kind to us in the past. I'll have to wait and see on Michigan as its only been one game (don't need to be reminded of last season), while at Minnesota could be our trick game much like Iowa State the last couple of years. Should we make it to the conference championship game, it would be hard to predict the outcome given its never easy beating the same opponent twice unless that team was just dominant throughout the season.

A lot of you don't need to be reminded, but our season will hinge on our offense again. The defense should be fine, but our offense needs to improve throughout the season not regress like the last 2 years. We definitely need to work on our passing so were not too reliant on the run, so hopefully that will click later in the season. If our defense is as good in years past, then the offense just needs to be good not great, but certainly not mediocre, to make it to a BCS game. As a end result, I would be very satisfied with a trip to the Rose or Fiesta Bowl, but even the Capital One Bowl should we get there.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,218,092 times
Well this Penn Stater is excited to see Nebraska in the Big Ten and look forward to games every year with the Huskers. Will definately need to make a trip to Lincoln and look forward to your visits to Happy Valley!

The Big ten was an adjustment for PSU, think the week to week solid opponents wear a team down more, that is waht makes it harder. No big difference among the top teams but the overall schedule is more consistent and probably more fatiguing, think that is the big adjustment

Welcome though!

PSU Crowd Bounces on Big Play - YouTube

Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Any thoughts on the Fresno State game? This should be a relatively easy win but they're definitely better than Chattanooga. They also have that any team, any time, any where mentality. Hopefully, the Huskers aren't looking ahead to a re-match with Washington. In the end, I just don't see David Carr's little brother being able to pull it out. My prediction is 27-10.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,867,015 times
It depends on which Bulldog team shows up. In the past they've had a habit of playing BCS schools very tough, but I think it's been a while since they've had that type of performance. They didn't play all that well against Cal last week.

I'm thinking you're probably right, not a blowout, but not really close either.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,207,644 times
Actually I see a more dominant performance than we did last week. Beck showed us more of his offense in the Red-White game than he did last week and it showed. It was a glorified practice.

Think the Husker D shows up in a big way with multiple turnovers and Carr completes less than 15 passes and they score in the single digits.

The offense shows the same big play ability, but sustains drives a little better.

45-9

Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Actually I see a more dominant performance than we did last week. Beck showed us more of his offense in the Red-White game than he did last week and it showed. It was a glorified practice.

Think the Husker D shows up in a big way with multiple turnovers and Carr completes less than 15 passes and they score in the single digits.

The offense shows the same big play ability, but sustains drives a little better.

45-9
I like it! Here's to your prediction being better than mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football