Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,129,724 times

Advertisements

From an outside, Vol football used to be fun to watch. It used to a combination of speed, hard hitting, and fine coaching that allowed Tennessee to climb the polls every year.

The huge number of arrests, instability in the program, and poor choices in coaches have lead to a stunning demise.

Why was Kiffin hired-----anybody could see this guy was a gunslinger---assassin who was not a Vol--or an SEC guy. Kiffin is stricly a California dude-----good wordsmith, cocky, and pushing buttons all the time without substance.

When he bailed on Tenn, couldnt the Vols have made an interim selection for a year and than focused in on a major candidate for the job?? Kiffin left them at the alter in a lurch, and they had little or no prep time to compile a stratedgy for his replacement.

Nobody know if Dooley is the right choice------he seems like a firm but fair guy who wont allow the arrests to pile up and the program to get involved in massive scandal. The vols need to recruit a guy who can wing it and stretch the field----their qbs for the past five or six years have not knocked the sox off.

I am from the midwest and now reside in Florida----so not a Vol fan. Yet we have spent enough time in Tenn to come to respect the good folks there and their passion for the vols. I hope that you can sing many more happy versus of Rocky Top in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Alright Chief, here ya go...

Dating back to 2000:

Arizona:
2006- 45-3 LSU L
2003- 59-13 LSU L

Arizona State:
2009- 20-17 UGA L*
2008- 27-10 UGA L
2005- 35-31 LSU (played in the SEC cHamp.) L*

Cal:
2007- 45-31 UT (played in the SEC Champ.) W
2006- 35-18 UT L

Oregon:
2010- 48-13 UT W
2003- 42-34 MSU W
2002- 36-13 MSU W

Oregon State:
2004- 22-21 LSU L*

UCLA:
2009- 19-15 UT W
2008- 27-24 UT W
2001- 20-17 Bama W
2000- 35-24 Bama W

USC:
2006- 50-14 Ark (played in SEC champ)W
2005- 70-17 Ark W
2003- Aub W
2002- 23-0 Aub W

Washington:
2009- 31-23 LSU L

Washington State:
2006- 40-14 Aub L

Now, let's break that down. Since 2000, the Pac-10 leads the SEC 12-9. The babbling about the Pac-10 only beating lower level teams is garbage. In fact, during those years, the SEC teams have a record of 158-98. The PAC-10 teams have a record of 147-104. From the looks of it, it is the SEC teams that tend to beat up on the bottom feeders. Even if you take USC out of the equation, the Pac-10 holds it's own going 8-9. But, since SEC fans are so rational, I'm sure they would say it is only fair to take arguably the SEC's best team of the last decade (vs. the Pac-10), LSU...thus bringing the record back into the Pac-10's favor at 9-5.

The asterisk *, are games that the Pac-10 let slip away and should have won. Since I watch a ton of football, I can tell you all about OSU's Serna missing a million extra points to lose to LSU in a deluge, or the Hail Mary pass LSU had to complete to defeat ASU in 2005. I can also tell you about the curb-stopping USC put on an Arkansas team that was led by some running back named McFadden something and who eventually played for the SEC championship.

So, I would say the Pac-10 more than holds it's own vs. the SEC the last 10 years. Yes, the SEC has more NCs, but that is never really argued. However, anyone who is not an id**t knows that football goes in cycles and things will change.

Oh, and South Carolina? Are you serious? Now they are a top SEC team... Maybe this year, and only this year, but in reality land they still blow!
by top 10 I mean AP or Coaches poll Top 10...

My point is Top 10 teams from any conference do not beat Top 10 SEC teams... I could care less about their overall record and tradition. Who is good at the time they play is all that matters... and no other conferences top 10 teams beat the SEC's top 10 teams.

Check the rankings of those teams sir and do your analysis again...

"Beyond that – look at history. When you compare the number of all-time Bowl Appearances; Bowl Victories; National Championships; National Rankings; and just Plain Old Wins – SEC Football is #1 in them all.

The SEC has the most alumni playing in the NFL. The SEC has led all conferences with the most NFL players every year since 2001.

The SEC has led the nation in football attendance for 11 straight years – averaging 75,816 fans per game in 2008! Amazing. Really, that fact alone says it all."

Last edited by Mr. GE; 09-23-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
The SEC has led the nation in football attendance for 11 straight years – averaging 75,816 fans per game in 2008! Amazing. Really, that fact alone says it all."
Not arguing with any of your facts or contention, but the above MIGHT just mean there's nothing else to do...

Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Not arguing with any of your facts or contention, but the above MIGHT just mean there's nothing else to do...

Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,197,976 times
Quote:
Just pointing out that logic is flawed. Again,

Relax.

It is just a game.

We all know the SEC is almighty.

All other conferences bow down to the SEC.

Always.

Are you old enough to remember when this wasn't the case?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Relax.

Rolling my eyes warrants a "Relax" and "are you old enough"?

I think you need the relax. It's forum for discussion... I'm discussing. what are you doing?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,350 times
Quote:

My point is Top 10 teams from any conference do not beat Top 10 SEC teams... I could care less about their overall record and tradition. Who is good at the time they play is all that matters... and no other conferences top 10 teams beat the SEC's top 10 teams.

"Beyond that – look at history. When you compare the number of all-time Bowl Appearances; Bowl Victories; National Championships; National Rankings; and just Plain Old Wins – SEC Football is #1 in them all.

The SEC has the most alumni playing in the NFL. The SEC has led all conferences with the most NFL players every year since 2001.

And when the heck have the SEC top teams ever played any of the Pac-10 top teams? Oh, wait, didn't USC play one of the SEC's top teams, Arkansas, and r**e them? No wonder Arky wasn't a top 10 team...they were gutf**ked by the Trojans. Oh, and Cal slapped around another one of your SEC Champ. runner-ups (Tennessee) and they ended up going down the toilet that year too. And it looks like LSU played in the SEC champ and needed a Hail Mary to beat ASU (and they blew). Gee, it looks like a few of your top SEC teams can beat on the bottom of the barrel Pac-10 teams, but also still struggle with middle of the road teams. You can narrow down the parameters (all the yammering about only media Top 10 teams please) to make it look like the SEC is so dominate, but I think the Pac-10 matches up well with the SEC. I'm not saying the Pac-10 is better, but the b.s. about how superior the SEC is is exactly that, b.s. And from the record of the last 10 years, it shows.

You still have the NCs, but that is also based on the media's lovefest for y'all and the opponents you have faced in those games. But, I'm not bound to get into that as reason evades many SEC fans.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 PM

6,095 posts, read 9,135,629 times
I agree "Come on Vols"

you had 13 players on the field!!!!! You all are stupid

of course the LSU player that threw his helmet on the field should have been pentalized!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,129,536 times
That was a demoralizing lost that should have been a win.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,268,972 times
Quote:

OK fine SEC, get your Bama on the field right now...Ducks win 58-36, for that matter, Boise St Whacks you 42-38. Put up your Dukes, will put up our DUCKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football