Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 PM

326 posts, read 470,843 times

Advertisements

one of my hobbies, by the way, is collecting old antique electric fans. generally, i do what i have to do to get them running right and i use them to keep cool on hot days. (sorry, none of them are for sale.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Whew! For a moment, I thought you were referring to me. I'm definitely an antique, and if Jimmy Buffet makes it back up here, I'm definitely a fan.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
JavaPhil funny! I saw a program on tattoos and such and this girl got a pic of her granny's old fan (cherished childhood memory) and had it branded onto her shoulder. Whew. Not for me lol

Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
I have a number of old fans I've rebuilt, I wouldn't call myself a collector as much as I just like quality and not plastic crap they sell nowadays. I have a number from the 40's and 50's a few from the 20's and 30's and a couple of the old brass and cast iron models from the turn of the century, all running in tip top shape. I've been offered quite a bit for the old iron fans but I turn them down, I like them.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
When I saw antique, I thought you meant the really old ones...hand held. Liz

Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
LOL ~ me too!

Actually, *somewhere* I have a very old ivory hand carved folding fan: am pretty sure it's from late 19th century China...
Mmmm now let's see, where did I put this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
When I saw antique, I thought you meant the really old ones...hand held. Liz

Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
I have three quite old fans which all work, but one especially needs attention because when I unplug it (that's how one turns it on & off: by plugging and unplugging...) a Pretty Big spark comes shooting out from the plug. Anyone?

So ~ I just have them, because they have always been in the family. Not really a collector. I like them because they work Much better than the modern plastic stuff which have so many guard strips the air doesn't really get fanned out....

And . . .none of Mine are for sale either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
one of my hobbies, by the way, is collecting old antique electric fans. generally, i do what i have to do to get them running right and i use them to keep cool on hot days. (sorry, none of them are for sale.)

Old 07-20-2007, 09:01 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Yeah, me too , I got all excited when I saw this post, but I collect the smaller more delicate "hand held" fans. I have quite a few that I inherited from my grandmother's side of the family, that are rather almost falling apart at this point. I wish I had been a little older (and more careful) when she gave them to me to begin my collection... oh well!!!

So there are people that collect, electric fans? lol... why is a mental image of that bringing up scenes from "The Brave Little Toaster"

Ya'll have a great day!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:26 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Hi
I don't collect fans, but I envy you who do. All those old fans from way back have such unique designs, they are some of the biggest appliance works of art I have ever seen. Frequently I look in antique stores and if I find an old fan I will holler at you OP!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,270 times
I've just found a fan that belonged to my mother. It is a "National Reinforced Plastics Corp." Berry Field, Nashville, TN "Executive 50" fan. It looks like it was used under a desk to cool off a person's legs. I can't find anything on it and was hoping you might have a clue about it. Gene gene@grhouse.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques