Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,545,070 times

Advertisements

Looking for a "Good" +++ "Descent"++++" Professional" Antique Dealer specializing in American China/English Silver with in 100 miles of Orlando Florida. That's not a rip off...

Last edited by ontheroad; 11-12-2007 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: unreadable colour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM

299 posts, read 1,334,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Looking for a "Good" +++ "Descent"++++" Professional" Antique Dealer specializing in American China/English Silver with in 100 miles of Orlando Florida. That's not a rip off...
I would say try the Mt. Dora area - Renningers. As for rip off, are you referring to price or repro. Renningers outside area has an extravaganza weekend where you may be able to get some better pricing then at their regular inside booths. I'm looking for a good antique auction - I think we'll both have a hard time finding what we want

Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Renningers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
I would say try the Mt. Dora area - Renningers. As for rip off, are you referring to price or repro. Renningers outside area has an extravaganza weekend where you may be able to get some better pricing then at their regular inside booths. I'm looking for a good antique auction - I think we'll both have a hard time finding what we want
Thanks...... I was trying to get a good appraisal for insurance and or maybe sell the items. I may even go the EBay route,"BUT" that some times is a hassle on high dollar items with insurance and shipping damage or loss.... I just have a trust issue...... not knowing

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks...... I was trying to get a good appraisal for insurance and or maybe sell the items. I may even go the EBay route,"BUT" that some times is a hassle on high dollar items with insurance and shipping damage or loss.... I just have a trust issue...... not knowing
If you need a written appraisal for insurance that will be tough to find that expert but if you want to find the value to sell the items you may want to check out the eBay discussion boards where I have found people really know their stuff. Another option, if you really have a high end item, would be to contact a very well known auction house & ask them what their consigning policy is. Some auction houses like Sotheby's will even give you an idea of what your item may go for.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Sotheby's

Quote:
If you need a written appraisal for insurance that will be tough to find that expert but if you want to find the value to sell the items you may want to check out the eBay discussion boards where I have found people really know their stuff. Another option, if you really have a high end item, would be to contact a very well known auction house & ask them what their consigning policy is. Some auction houses like Sotheby's will even give you an idea of what your item may go for.
About a year ago I called Sotheby's and got a very snotty lady! I have some English Silver. Unless it's worth 7k minimum she didn't want too discuss it.......then hung up on me! I went threw the Canadian firm on line where you pay $9.00. Upload 1-8 photo's and a description showing hall marks and dimensions,They blasted me with 10-20 e-mails on when was it made,who made it,.I said that's why I'm paying you too tell me.I found out later they have appraiser's world wide and the place in Canada is the clearing house that sends the photo's out too the appraiser.I would just like too trust some one with a truthful appraisal......Thanks for your input....

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Thumbs up eBay discussion boards

Quote:
I have such odd stuff that's part of the problem....Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I have such odd stuff that's part of the problem....Thanks.
Okay, I can't help but ask - what kind of odd stuff do you have? You don't really have to answer but being the antique nut I am I'm curious when you say odd. As for Sotheby's, I had a great experience. I filled out an application & sent pictures with it. They accepted my "stuff" & the value was less then $1,000 per item; I guess I just lucked out. Have you done any online research I guess you can tell from the lack of answers to your question that this part of Florida is not a hot bed of antique enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:35 PM

Smile Odd Stuff

Quote:
Okay, I can't help but ask - what kind of odd stuff do you have? You don't really have to answer but being the antique nut I am I'm curious when you say odd. As for Sotheby's, I had a great experience. I filled out an application & sent pictures with it. They accepted my "stuff" & the value was less then $1,000 per item; I guess I just lucked out. Have you done any online research I guess you can tell from the lack of answers to your question that this part of Florida is not a hot bed of antique enthusiasts.
One item a "Toast Rack" from the hall marks I would guess 1798-1804 English, the Silver Smith is unknown, Their is a hall mark but no reference I.D. yet.made in a small town out side London,from what I have been told depending on date and silver smith mark it could be a silver smith too the King/Queen.All depends on the finding the mark.and date.... Yes not a hot bed for anti-q

Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
One item a "Toast Rack" from the hall marks I would guess 1798-1804 English, the Silver Smith is unknown, Their is a hall mark but no reference I.D. yet.made in a small town out side London,from what I have been told depending on date and silver smith mark it could be a silver smith too the King/Queen.All depends on the finding the mark.and date.... Yes not a hot bed for anti-q
Don't believe it - I just sold an English toast rack!!! Direct message me with the marks & I'll see if I have any info I can give you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques