Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times

Advertisements

If you are going to collect U.S. coins, I suggest buying the Red Book (which is updated every year). The Red Book gives you the value of what coins are worth. That way if you decide to purchase a coin, you will know what is a good price and what is a rip-off. When I first started to seriously collect coins, I bought a bunch and yeah, I paid WAY too much but I didn't know any better. Most sellers are counting that the fact that the buyers don't know any better.

And whatever you do DO NOT CLEAN COINS!!!!! Chemicals that are used can hurt the value.

As for myself, I mostly collect U.S. coins even though I have some foreign and paper money.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey92 View Post
I recently began collecting old coins and don't really have a clue what to look for other than old coins but it keeps me entertained. Ive got some "war pennies" that are silver looking instead of copper which are pretty cool, and I have all the new state park quarters so far.
what should i look to find in the future or are there any new mints that are worth collecting?
There's really no way to predict what is "worth collecting." I mean, most of the current commemorative releases by the mint will be worth next to nothing in the future because they made so many coins and they are made of such worthless material.

Now, if a crazy disaster happens and wipes out most of the state quarters, for example, their value goes up. But you can't predict that.

Collect what's fun for you. When I started coin collecting I just grabbed whatever I could. I built up complete collections of nickels, pennies, etc. Nothing in high quality, of course, but it was cool to just have a "complete" collection. Then I started paying attention to grades and mints and whatnot.

Collecting is a long-term proposition, so don't be too worried about getting it "right" immediately. Just have fun with it.

Also, as to coin values, don't trust any one source. There are Red Book, Blue Book, Grey Sheets, etc. I personally like Red Book and Grey Sheets (what dealers buy and sell their coins for), but I've rarely seen these books as accurate. Get out there around some coin shops and see what things are selling for.

Honestly, unless you're wealthy, don't go out and buy the high-end coins. Keep an eye out and you can usually find a few (over time) valuable coins. That's part of the fun. Now if you're looking at something for investment purposes, then by all means go out and buy a PCGS certified slabbed coin.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 AM

382 posts, read 336,679 times
Anyone know how much a 1870 octagon California liberty quarter is worth?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
^^^Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques