Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 PM

139 posts, read 379,848 times

Advertisements

I have been collecting for about a year, I have a lot of coins ranging from the basic wheat penny to the very unique wartime nickels and all the way to modern quarters. What is an essential coin that every coin collector should have? Also is there a website where I could get an idea about coin values, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanbears View Post
I have been collecting for about a year, I have a lot of coins ranging from the basic wheat penny to the very unique wartime nickels and all the way to modern quarters. What is an essential coin that every coin collector should have? Also is there a website where I could get an idea about coin values, etc?
Get the "red book of coins", this will inform you of the prices and what coins to aquire.

Amazon.com: coins red book 2011: Books

What you ask, is up to the perosn collecting....

I would love to have the 1987 "w" silver eagle....worth around $3500 right now...when it sold it was not much more than they are now....

Just google coin collecting, you will find NUMEROUS sites to check out.

I only collect american coins....I don't get into anything else like forgein...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Get the "red book of coins", this will inform you of the prices and what coins to aquire.

Amazon.com: coins red book 2011: Books

What you ask, is up to the perosn collecting....

I would love to have the 1987 "w" silver eagle....worth around $3500 right now...when it sold it was not much more than they are now....

Just google coin collecting, you will find NUMEROUS sites to check out.

I only collect american coins....I don't get into anything else like forgein...
Yes I only collect American coins also, I have the red book giving me information regarding nearly every coin the U.S. has ever minted. Do you think there is a market for 2010 pennies?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Those "unique" wartime nickles aren't as unique as you'd think.

Website for valuation:
PCGS The Standard for the Rare Coin Industry

Note that their values aren't to be presumed to be real-world values. A coin is worth what someone will pay for it, and not a penny more. Collectibles are one of the first areas to get hit in a bad economy, and coins are no exception.

As for an "essential coin that every collector should have," every collector will give you a different answer. It's about your own personal preferences. When I was active in the hobby (that was many years ago), I focused on Lincoln pennies and Washington quarters. A lot of people like liberty dimes, Morgan dollars, etc. Collect what you're interested in. I'd probably pick the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent as my "holy grail" coin. I'm sure you'd pick something different.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Those "unique" wartime nickles aren't as unique as you'd think.

Website for valuation:
PCGS The Standard for the Rare Coin Industry

Note that their values aren't to be presumed to be real-world values. A coin is worth what someone will pay for it, and not a penny more. Collectibles are one of the first areas to get hit in a bad economy, and coins are no exception.

As for an "essential coin that every collector should have," every collector will give you a different answer. It's about your own personal preferences. When I was active in the hobby (that was many years ago), I focused on Lincoln pennies and Washington quarters. A lot of people like liberty dimes, Morgan dollars, etc. Collect what you're interested in. I'd probably pick the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent as my "holy grail" coin. I'm sure you'd pick something different.
That is near to impossible to attain these days

Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
I'm with swagger. Collect what interests you the most. I've dabbled in collecting since I was a kid, but not real serious or professional. In my collection of have a full cigar box of wheat backs. Silver quarters, silver half dollars, Proof set american coins. I have a bicentinial silver half dollar from Vermont that is somewhat rare. And I also like ancient Roman and Greek coins which can be very affordable to purchase. I do possess a couple of 5 ruble gold russian coins also from the old dynasty days. I also take interest and possess American paper money too. I have a few perfect bills from the early 20 century and a few misprints that I really like.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
I would pick a few coins, study them and find out what is "the coin" then go from there....

If your made of money, you can collect all American coins, I have stuck with the silver eagles, and the state quaters....

I also collect silver bars, I even have a standard size silver 2 dollar bill...pretty cool....and weighs quite a bit...pure silver of course...

My state quaters. I have all of them from the begining, P&D encapuslated...then I have 2 more sets that are gold and platinum....

So 4 sets of quaters for each year...all uncirculated...

Just a little hobby that can get out of control really quick....

Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm with swagger. Collect what interests you the most. I've dabbled in collecting since I was a kid, but not real serious or professional. In my collection of have a full cigar box of wheat backs. Silver quarters, silver half dollars, Proof set american coins. I have a bicentinial silver half dollar from Vermont that is somewhat rare. And I also like ancient Roman and Greek coins which can be very affordable to purchase. I do possess a couple of 5 ruble gold russian coins also from the old dynasty days. I also take interest and possess American paper money too. I have a few perfect bills from the early 20 century and a few misprints that I really like.
i found an 1800s greek drachma, im greek so i fully understood what it said

Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Is there a market for 2010 pennies??

Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
i found an 1800s greek drachma, im greek so i fully understood what it said
Nice find. The greek coins I refer to are thousands of years old. I was watching a documentary about those who hunt for treasure using metal detectors. This English guy was walking along the Thames River in London and stumbled across a coin from Henry the VIII's day, it was dated in the 1500s and in good enough condition to make out the date. That is a hell of a find to find something stamped out by man so many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques