Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM

120 posts, read 252,756 times

Advertisements

We are interested in this housing community in Leland. The builder is Curtis Skipper Construction. Is this a good area and a reputable builder? What about bad foundations in swampy areas? Should we beware???

We are going to be checking out the Wilmington area in a couple of weeks when we come down for an interview. Looking for a good place to relocate (sorry to you locals ) from MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 PM

730 posts, read 1,317,943 times
I'll be interested in any answers you receive as we're from MA and are also interested in Leland or Shallotte areas along with Calabash. Where do you live in MA? We live on Cape Cod where it's not so easy to sell a house, but we're trying.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:48 AM

27 posts, read 89,612 times
another ma family here in western ma trying to relocate but unable to sell our home here as well. spent a week in leland with my wife and preteen daughter. every subdivision from price ranges of 200-300 thousand we looked at in leland. my wife and i liked magnolia greens and the liberty homes of wedgewood my daughter loved seabrooke development but its in very early stages. their future plans for recreational and green space was very nice. i revisited them one day and waited 12 minutes for a train to go by next to the entrance of seabrooke. springstone was not for us and just my take not a expert on housing but we didnt care for craftmanship or the lots in that development. just got a local ad from a friend in southport and the wedgewood development was giving away a new honda with every home. we were down in feb 2009 and have seen dramatic price reductions in the leland area since then. i wish you luck any questions just write back red soxs nation

Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM

116 posts, read 426,373 times
Springstone is a development in Leland off Lanvale Rd, which is off 17, across the road from Brunswick Forest. Lanvale Road is a 55 speed limit which put us off the area, people drive like crazy down here and that road is a good cut through to get to 74/76. The area isn't that great and there are no facilities in the development that I can see yet.
We are also from Mass. came down here 3 years ago. It has been a huge adjustment, but if you want to get away from new england winters this is the place to be.
We originally lived in Shallotte on Rivers Edge Golf Plantation, where we are still trying to sell our house too, its a tough market down here also, we moved to Wilmington for many personal reasons, husbands job transfer and son going to community college in Wilmington, etc, There is a big battle cry about the pros and cons of living in Leland versus Wilmington, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for as far as travel to work, cost of housing, amenities, etc but there is a good choice of homes and developments in both areas. Check out the cost of homeowners insurance, auto insurance, water and sewer rates, electricity and property taxes in both counties they can take a big bite out of your income depending on where you live.
We used to live in Methuen and my husband grew up in Malden, we do miss Boston from time to time but not those long, cold winters.
Go Red Sox! There is a bar in town that has some big red sox fans who meet there to watch every game, for all you red sox fans!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Lots of great replies here - thank you very much! It's getting so hard to know which areas to look at, and where to steer clear. I wonder how many folks leave New England for NC, and then end up moving back. Is anyone sorry they made the change?

(We are from Fitchburg, and we do cheer for the Red Sox, although we're not as fanatical as some I'm more of a Patriots fan, myself!)

Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM

160 posts, read 791,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudy68 View Post
We are interested in this housing community in Leland. The builder is Curtis Skipper Construction. Is this a good area and a reputable builder? What about bad foundations in swampy areas? Should we beware???

We are going to be checking out the Wilmington area in a couple of weeks when we come down for an interview. Looking for a good place to relocate (sorry to you locals ) from MA.
CAMA zoning will prevent a builder from constructing a house on marsh land so don't worry about the foundation on a new construction home in this area. Wilmington will have moderately higher home prices than Leland but much more amenities and conveniences. The higher end subdivisions in Leland have taken a hit over the past two years so you may get a deal on a short sale or foreclosure. Wilmington's real estate market is more stable but more expensive.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,721 times
Default Springstone is Great

I actually own a house in Springstone and have to say some of the comments I see are completely off (in my opinion). My wife and I looked at all the new developments in Leland (Springstone, Seabrooke, Wedgewood, Brunswick Forset, Magnolia Greens, Waterford, Grayson Park, and all the rest). Of all the homes, we found the most attention to detail in building, inside and out, at Springstone. Everything you see in the model homes comes standard (granite counters, hardwood floors, tile kitchen/bathroom, trey ceilings, etc, etc). Not only that, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail put into building the homes is among the best I've seen in the price range. To put it a little more into perspective, after the house was finished, the only things the we found during the walkthrough were a few paint touch-ups. Curtis and his crew are very good at working with you to customize the house to your needs and have a very good reputation across NC. He normally builds million-dollar beach homes, but thankfully has started building stuff in the mid $200k range.

Lanvale Rd. has never been an issue for us. I don't hear cars nor have I encountered excessive speeders, and I've been here since February.

Also, there are plans for a pool and clubhouse, with a workout facility, to be built in the back of the neighborhood within a year.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Do you happen to work in Wilmington, J Kode? I'm concerned with the traffic over the bridge. How's it been for you since February?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,721 times
I do work in Wilmington. The traffic isn't too bad, it just depends on when you leave. If you hit the bridges by 7:15 to 7:30, you will be ok. After that, you start to get a little bit of backup on 74/76/17, until they split off toward Wrightsville or Wilmington. That would probably add 10min to your commute (it never stops, just runs about 25 to 30mph). I usually hit that intersection around 7:15 or 7:20 and never get backed up. After 8, it calms back down, but again, the backup is never too bad.

If you work on the northern side of Wilmington, you can take the bypass via the Isabelle Holmes bridge, which cuts down on your commute even more. If not, you take Memorial (even still, not too bad of traffic). I would recommend steering clear of Market St. or College Rd. during rush hour, though.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,785 times
we are in VT, close to Stowe, must go south on account of cold and arthritis. Looking at Wedgewood as well as Springstone. Glad to hear from MA folks.I'm retired so AM traffic not a problem. Community interests ie clubs/organizations are. Must sell house with fantastic view of Green Mts from Smugglers'Notch way down to Killington. Minutes from Jay Peak and 50 miles from Burlington and UVM & St. Mikes. Glad to swap for Jan-Mar. Oh well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina