Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times

Advertisements

According to this website, it would take 64 to 17. So basically it would four lane from Williamston, past Windsor and Edenton. Pick up the Elizabeth City bypass, then continue into VA.

It is a project that makes sense to me. But, if I was a decider, I would allow it to take the 264 route. Greenville needs interstate access. And for it to not be a spur, but to connect two large metros would be even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM

196 posts, read 575,832 times
With federal funds as tight as they are and simple highway maintenance hard to keep up with I would think major highway initiatives are pretty far off.

Here is another website about highway plans. http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/ncfutint.html

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,509 times
Two large metros would be Raleigh and Norfolk not Greenville and Norfolk unfortunately. Once Greenville attempts to attract industry then maybe a interstate or spur of I-95 will be built here but until then, leaders don't see the point of a interstate here and I'm beginning to take their side on the issue. The interstate program virtually has no funds but when needed new interstates, spurs, etc will be built. An addition that, what does Greenville have to offer that would need a interstate here? Goldsboro only got a Spur because of a air force base. Wilson County is better funded on highways than Pitt is (at least it appears to be), they now have electronic traffic signs, a spur, a interstate, and new exits for existing highways are planned all because Wilson is not far from Raleigh, and industries of size are already there.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
I read a while back about this proposed interstate. It will probably never see the light of day during our lifetimes due to lack of funds and more important highways in other parts of the state. If it ever were built, it would probably be a more direct route. From the look of that map it would probably take longer to get to Norfolk from Raleigh with that new route rather than just going on 95 and then getting on US 58 in VA.

I think it's more likely that NC upgrades US 1 to a freeway between Raleigh and I-85.

Greenville is the largest city in NC without interstate access but I don't think it really needs it. At least not right now. US 264 is already a four lane freeway between Greenville and Raleigh. To get the interstate designation (like a I-95 spur or something), NC would have to widen some of the shoulders to interstate standards and that's about it.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times
What would be the point? US 17 and 13 are already part of STRAHNET, and there's not enough direct traffic coming from either city. There's no way anyone's building an interstate grade bridge over the Chowan river any time soon either.

There's a much better case to be made for a direct limited access highway linking Charlotte and Wilmington.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM

286 posts, read 652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
There's a much better case to be made for a direct limited access highway linking Charlotte and Wilmington.
Isn't this already in the works? Years ago I drove 74 from Wilmington to Laurinburg and there were "Future I-74 Corridor" signs up all along the way.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Isn't this already in the works? Years ago I drove 74 from Wilmington to Laurinburg and there were "Future I-74 Corridor" signs up all along the way.
74 goes up through Winston-Salem into VA.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
74 goes up through Winston-Salem into VA.

I-73/74 is a spur that goes to Greensboro. It then kinda spits and sputters to W-S and Mt. Airy.
I-77 goes from Columbia, to Charlotte. Then intersects I-40 at Statesville.

US 74 is the current road that connects Charlotte with Wilmington. It is mixed with I-74 in some places.

Last edited by MrBojangles; 02-29-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Two large metros would be Raleigh and Norfolk not Greenville and Norfolk unfortunately. Once Greenville attempts to attract industry then maybe a interstate or spur of I-95 will be built here but until then, leaders don't see the point of a interstate here and I'm beginning to take their side on the issue. The interstate program virtually has no funds but when needed new interstates, spurs, etc will be built. An addition that, what does Greenville have to offer that would need a interstate here? Goldsboro only got a Spur because of a air force base. Wilson County is better funded on highways than Pitt is (at least it appears to be), they now have electronic traffic signs, a spur, a interstate, and new exits for existing highways are planned all because Wilson is not far from Raleigh, and industries of size are already there.
I know, I meant the two metros would be Raleigh and Norfolk. But Greenville would benefit immensely by being apart of this highway, as opposed to the spur we have now. But also, you're all thinking in the now. IF this project occurs, it probably won't be for 20-30 years. Looking at the history, Greenville would definitely need interstate access, via this change in the route, by then.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I-73/74 is a spur that goes to Greensboro. It then kinda spits and sputters to W-S and Mt. Airy.
I-77 goes from Columbia, to Charlotte. Then intersects I-40 at Statesville.

US 74 is the current road that connects Charlotte with Wilmington. It is mixed with I-74 in some places.
The poster who asked was talking about I-74, not US 74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina