Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 32,553 times

Advertisements

I moved from New York a couple of years ago to the Charlotte area. I'm thinking of moving to Nags Head or Kitty Hawk. I have 2 teenagers and a ten year old. Do you think it would be wise to wait until they're all out of school or is this a good place to raise a family? It looks like Nags Head has more crime than Kitty Hawk but we want to be where there are things to do. I'm just not sure if it's something that would be better for my husband and I to just come down after the kids are in college. Hurricanes are another concern. But it seems like people do it or there wouldn't be anyone living there year round. Would it be wise to look 20-30 minutes inland and not have the beauty of the beach right there. Way further down someone else mentioned Cape Carteret. I don't know much about that area either.
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,777 times
We moved from Kitty Hawk to Las Vegas to escape hurricanes. We had to leave, thats spelled evacuate, once per year. Oh the horror stories I could tell you. We were there 10 years.

The school system is good, but too strung out distance wise. There aren't many people there year round. You have the rich and the poor. There is no in between. The rich make good money and travel during winter. The poor are stuck there year round with nada to do. My wife dedicated 10 years to a realtor with no pay increase and the health benes cost a lot. The business owners LORD over the peasants.

Any where inland is hicksville. I can say that as I earned the right, having grown up in Elizabeth City. I once lived in Charlotte and liked it. Be sure you are moving for the right reasons. I'd wait till the kids were out of the house, if at all possible.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,850 times
Smile Cape Carteret is a good year around area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyathrt View Post
I moved from New York a couple of years ago to the Charlotte area. I'm thinking of moving to Nags Head or Kitty Hawk. I have 2 teenagers and a ten year old. Do you think it would be wise to wait until they're all out of school or is this a good place to raise a family? It looks like Nags Head has more crime than Kitty Hawk but we want to be where there are things to do. I'm just not sure if it's something that would be better for my husband and I to just come down after the kids are in college. Hurricanes are another concern. But it seems like people do it or there wouldn't be anyone living there year round. Would it be wise to look 20-30 minutes inland and not have the beauty of the beach right there. Way further down someone else mentioned Cape Carteret. I don't know much about that area either.
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks!
Five years ago we looked at living in Nags Head, Hatteras, or Ocracoke. We decided the northern Outer Banks were just too exposed for us and too crowded in the summer. I am sure there are year around neighborhoods in the Nags Head area, but we never found one that we liked.

The Crystal Coast from Beaufort to Cape Carteret-Emerald Isle-Cedar Point is a great place to look. Locals sometimes refer to the area as SOBX or Southern Outer Banks.

The Cape Carteret area which you asked about has several advantages especially if you have children. The schools are very good. Croatan High School which covers the Cape Carteret area recently won a national award as one of the top six hundred schools in the country.

One of the key advantages in my mind is that the area is actually a group of loosely connected small towns. That means the area is rich in community activities and the kind of events that provide entertainment to whole families.

I interview a few students for college each since my alma mater is committed to putting a person face on admissions. I have been very impressed with the young adults who have come out of Croatan High.

The Cape Carteret area also has the advantage of being from five to ten minutes from the beaches of Emerald Isle. You can get a feel for the area from this map. Just zoom down to street level. We live on the White Oak River in a subdivision called Bluewater Cove. It takes five or six minutes to get to Cape Carteret and another five to get to the first beach access on Emerald Isle.

One of the other good things is that we have modern services. We have a new Lowes Home Improvement Store, four supermarkets including one Lowes, two Food Lions, and one Piggly Wiggly within ten minutes of our home. They also just opened a new Harris Teeter on the west side of Morehead City. We can be there in under twenty minutes.

That is also the location of Walmart, Belks, Sears, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Best Buy, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx.

Of course we have plenty of water to enjoy. Bogue Sound, Shackleford Banks, the White Oak River, Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean are all on our doorstep.

This slide show, Mackerel Morning, from our dock out to the Atlantic is one of my favorites. It is less than twenty minutes to the Atlantic by boat from our dock.

The area beaches themselves are hard to beat. This is one of my favorite collections of pictures from early last summer and this slide show is from mid-summer.

We also have wonderful kayaking in the area. I can just slide my kayak in the water from my back yard and be in the middle of the White Oak River in less than ten minutes. The river is almost two miles wide where we are.

Our area is also blessed with some wonderful hiking trails and the 158,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest which I believe will help protect us from over development.

One top of that we have a number of interesting places to visit like the Maritime Museum in Beaufort, Fort Macon, the
the Beaufort Historic Site, the Core Sound Museum, The History Place in Morehead City, Tryon Palace flower gardens, and the NC Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores. We even went to a wonderful open house at the Duke Marine Lab near Beaufort. We really enjoy events like the Swansboro Arts Festival and the Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day Festival.

Crime is very low in the area, we have a strong set of barrier islands to protect us in all but the most severe weather.

If you love natural beauty and being able to actually surround yourself with it while living a more sane relaxed way of life, I do not think you will be disappointed with the Cape Carteret area. There are homes to fit almost any budget, and it is an area which is very accepting of new comers.

The first summer we were here, Cape Carteret threw a cookout for their forty-eight birthday. We were new and showed up at the park. I went over and asked the guy cooking burgers where the party was. He pointed to the building and told us to go there. It turned out he was the Mayor. We had a nice chat later after he finished cooking.

Even the tourist traffic here is not nearly as heavy as it is on the Northern Outer Banks. On top of that almost all of the restaurants and business in our area stay open all year. Some restaurants will close for a week or two in January for vacations.

It is a great area, just visit and you will fall in love. You might find my blog about the area interesting. This a link to past posts.

This is a travel guide for Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link), one for Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link) and another for Swansboro. Both Beaufort and Swansboro have more than their fair share of cute shops.

Swansboro is home to my favorite restaurant for grouper, Riverside Steak and Seafood. Beaufort has lots of very good but somewhat expensive restaurants. Visiting Beaufort is how we ended up down here. My wife and I came to Beaufort for our 30th anniversary and had dinner at the Blue Moon Bistro. We fell in love with the area then and moved down three years later

I will be glad to answer other questions. That is part of my job.

Last edited by dsobotta; 04-03-2009 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Left out link

Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
KH/NH are the quintessential great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there places. Pretty dead in winter, crowded in summer. The earlier poster is correct, basically have and have nots. If you are a have not, sledding is rough. If you are a have, move to Naples, FL.

Swansboro, Beaufort (again, if you are a have), or MHC might be better choices. But.. in all of these regions, you really have to love or be willing to love the coastal/tidewater way of life. There are not a lot of support services, though MHC is getting there. And again, even these spots are pretty bleak in the winter.

lln

Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for you insight. I may look more into the cape carteret area. It looks like more year round living. For all I know, I just may go back to NY and just vacation at the shore! Thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks for all that information. It was very helpful. I am going to check it out in April and hopefully figure out what I'm going to do. It's either here or back to New York. Just not sure yet. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:36 PM

148 posts, read 611,263 times
If you are considering Cape Carteret, then who better to tell you about the schools then my kids...My kids have been thru all of the schools that serve Cape Carteret, and they love them.........

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-06-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: solicitation

Old 04-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,809 times
Default reply

you have offered your kids as a sales tool in several posts. That is so cheesy and over the top. And I am a professional salesman with 22 years working straight commission. Most folks can do their own homework without having to consult with a Realtor's children.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 AM

807 posts, read 2,515,283 times
Beaufort and Morehead City are great towns IMO!
I need a motel recommendation for Kitty Hawk/Nags Head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina