Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 AM

13 posts, read 41,240 times

Advertisements

My question is where would you live if you didn't have to worry about schools, taxes, or any of the long term issues. My husband and I are taking three months for him to prepare for a board test and since the last rotation was in the state, thought we might stay in the area.

The only things we would be concerned about are local attractions, be it beach or musuems, ease of finding a nice furnished rental for three months and a library where he could spend significant amounts of time without any problems.

We would like to stay in smaller towns (under 200,000) just because we don't want the hassle of trying to learn a new city and we are absolutely not partiers...bars and even restaurants are not that important to us. We've been looking at Wilmington and Southport, but it would be great if someone could point us in a different direction.

So for three months in NC, what city would you move to in a heartbeat???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
I don't necessarily have your answer, but am very interested in what others say.

I too was going to suggest considering Wilmington, but western areas of the state might be pretty interesting as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM

201 posts, read 593,967 times
I think if you want quiet-the mountains are good-Boone, West Jefferson, beautiful areas!

The beaches might be easier to find rental properties but will get crowded soon which means prices go up too.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM

73 posts, read 458,196 times
The nice thing about the Outer Banks of NC is the variation...from terrain and water to population and traffic. You can go in the 'four wheel drive area' (Northern Outer Banks, and yes, you need a 4WD to get there...but there are AMAZING homes and wild horses on the beach and such...) or you can stay in Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills and have a more bustling time of it...or go to Old Nag's Head for a bit more isolation...etc. etc.

The area has history AND beach AND calm water (Currituck, Albemarle, Kitty Hawk Sounds...) and good restaurants too!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,676 times
Default Move to Southport...

No over crowding here - about 5,000 people. And for studying, you can walk to the library, but as quiet as the community is, you could study on your porch or deck. I know of some rentals...what time of year. Realize if it is spring/summer time you are planning to head this way, this is a peak rental season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvalpo View Post
My question is where would you live if you didn't have to worry about schools, taxes, or any of the long term issues. My husband and I are taking three months for him to prepare for a board test and since the last rotation was in the state, thought we might stay in the area.

The only things we would be concerned about are local attractions, be it beach or musuems, ease of finding a nice furnished rental for three months and a library where he could spend significant amounts of time without any problems.

We would like to stay in smaller towns (under 200,000) just because we don't want the hassle of trying to learn a new city and we are absolutely not partiers...bars and even restaurants are not that important to us. We've been looking at Wilmington and Southport, but it would be great if someone could point us in a different direction.

So for three months in NC, what city would you move to in a heartbeat???

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
What time of year were you thinking? If it is not in the summer season, one of the beach areas could be really nice.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM

35 posts, read 72,196 times
Default Southport gets my vote, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkc1972 View Post
No over crowding here - about 5,000 people. And for studying, you can walk to the library, but as quiet as the community is, you could study on your porch or deck. I know of some rentals...what time of year. Realize if it is spring/summer time you are planning to head this way, this is a peak rental season...
We lived in Southport for almost three years and absolutely loved it. Try to find a place close to "downtown" to have shopping handier. Or grab a place on Oak Island for a true beach experience -- they even have a library branch! Either way, I'm sure you'll find the living to be peaceful and relaxing.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I have lived in the Southport area so I understand what they are recommending, but i would say ASHEVILLE would be the best for three months. Would not want to live there long, but late spring, summer, in to fall, I do not think it could be beaten.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina