Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM

59 posts, read 469,457 times

Advertisements

Hello,
It's great to be back on City-Data, it's been a while. I am seriously considering relocation to Elizabeth City, I am originally from Queens, relocated to Virginia and now I want to get to EC. I have always lived near water and I have to be near it. I was considering Charlotte for a while, I love it but it's just to far inland for me. I keep seeing these homes on the MLS for like 20k-50k for fixer uppers, and these homes are 5-6 bedrooms, WHAT!! I am sure that they aren't in the best areas but I was reading a post earlier that said that the areas near water are no the best. You see I grew up in a HOOD area back when crack first hit the streets of NY and that, my friends was rough enough and although I am not trying to live in a bad area, I can live in an area that is up and coming. Any information on rent to own homes, bad areas, fun things to do in EC, anything will help. If you grew up there or currently reside there, please tell me whats good and bad about EC. I have a salon here in Virginia and I will continue to make the commute, I will be taking a trip there before the summer is out as I need to move before school is out. If you know of someone looking to do a rent to own deal, please let me know. I have two ten year boys and a Chihuahua, whats good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,865 times
Hi, I noticed that no one had responed to your post and I thought that was so sad. I don't know anything about Elizabeth City, and I think perhaps most of the others on this site don't either as I rarely hear it mentioned. Mostly people talk about New Bern and south on down towards Willmington. So... I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that most of us just don't know the answer to your questions.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
I am planning a move to EC next yr. But I will be renting not buying...
Have you contacted any Realtors in that area to help you?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:34 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,536 times
The whole town is on the Pasquotank River, but of course some houses are closer than others. You can pretty much walk or bike down there from almost anywhere in town, except the suburbs.

I haven't lived there in many years, but there are two neighborhoods closest to the river. Riverside (the name of the street, too) is a nice place to live, a few blocks from town and over one of the bridges. Behind the nicer river homes is a neighborhood of older craftsman type homes and simple cottages. Then a few blocks just north of town, right on the water, are some very old houses in rough shape, but basic Victorian two-story, with the blocks of that neighborhood leading away from the river.

That commute is going to be tough, though, to and from Virginia, unless you just commute once a week. When you come down to visit, be sure to time it out and give it some thought. There are plenty of towns in Virginia on rivers and such.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 13,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisimone View Post
Hello,
It's great to be back on City-Data, it's been a while. I am seriously considering relocation to Elizabeth City, I am originally from Queens, relocated to Virginia and now I want to get to EC. I have always lived near water and I have to be near it. I was considering Charlotte for a while, I love it but it's just to far inland for me. I keep seeing these homes on the MLS for like 20k-50k for fixer uppers, and these homes are 5-6 bedrooms, WHAT!! I am sure that they aren't in the best areas but I was reading a post earlier that said that the areas near water are no the best. You see I grew up in a HOOD area back when crack first hit the streets of NY and that, my friends was rough enough and although I am not trying to live in a bad area, I can live in an area that is up and coming. Any information on rent to own homes, bad areas, fun things to do in EC, anything will help. If you grew up there or currently reside there, please tell me whats good and bad about EC. I have a salon here in Virginia and I will continue to make the commute, I will be taking a trip there before the summer is out as I need to move before school is out. If you know of someone looking to do a rent to own deal, please let me know. I have two ten year boys and a Chihuahua, whats good?
kisimone,

I have read the forums for a while.. Stopping reading, and have now rejoined. I am now just reading your post. What part of Elizabeth City exactly are you looking to reside? I currently live in Elizabeth City and have been here for the past 5 years. I can tell you much of what you need to know.

B in NC

Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 68,644 times
White Lake is very close and until two weeks ago I had never been there, but friends of ours bought a get away house at Camp Clearwater and we were there for the weekend. I loved it.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 AM

144 posts, read 679,906 times
Hey Kisimone, sorry for not seeing your post but I've not been on in a while. I live in Moyock but I go over to E.C. on occasion and even tried to buy a home over there once but was out bid. If you are seeing large homes that are cheap and designated fixer-uppers then you are probably finding homes around the historic part of EC which is for the most part in walking distance of the waterfront. These are mostly older southern style homes that have been let go sometimes way too long. These sections of town are nice but many of the homes are in dis-repair. Many of the people who live around here think of these areas as being rough neighborhoods, but if you are from Queens you will probably think they're crazy. There is a bit of a crime problem in these areas and there have been some gang problems. Though EC is one of the bigger towns in the area to someone who has been in cities like Philadelphia, NYC, Richmond, and Norfolk--EC is pretty small potatoes. If you look into some of those homes you may want to be careful as some of them are considered to be in the historical district and though they may need extensive work may be hindered severely by city ordinances and codes. All in all there are some nice homes there and some worth the work to fix them up. EC has a tremendous nostalgic quality to it and is a neat town. It has some of the signs of a growing community and some of the signs of a dying small city.
I've never been in a town that has so many homes up for sale like EC has all the time. It is rather near a Coast Guard base and it seems that many of the homes turn over rather quickly.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,651 times
I have an Elizabeth City address ... but technically I live in Weeksville. Just a few miles past the Coast Guard Base. I live on Symond's creek in a small community ... the area I live in has few houses ... but small communities dotted along the river.

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=symond's+creek+nc&sll=20 .797201,-63.896484&sspn=53.954235,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=36.16937 3,-76.222372&spn=0.023524,0.038452&t=h&z=15]symond's creek nc - Google Maps[/url]

Not sure about the whole rental thing ... but I recommend you drive around to see signs in the yards. this is not a high tech community and still functions like a small town in many ways.

p.s. I make the commut to Chesapeake 5 days a week. It's not that bad now that gas prices have gone down. You might want to consider relocating your salon ... Even kuntry folk like to get their hair done.

~M

Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,797 times
I am a Midwestern who is looking to the Elizabeth - Edenton are to relocate upon retiring. I will retire June 1, 2010 and will be moving around August 1. I have a 13 year old so I am quite concerned about the crime areas and the schools. If anyone has any helpful info it would be greatly appreciated!

cd2

Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM

144 posts, read 679,906 times
Hi "chryld623" I would keep coming east to Camden Co. or Currituck Co. as the schools are better. Edenton is not a terrible crime area but E.C. is. Camden is small town USA but pretty nice and still close enough to EC for essentials. Currituck is pretty nice also but more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina