Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM

247 posts, read 445,386 times

Advertisements

Anything new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
Dissapointed to hear the new Mexican place in Arlington is going to be Mazatlan. Went to the older one by hastings ford a few weeks ago & it was just alright...better places in town imo. I use to love it, but since I've diversified & tried others, I've found Azteca, Mi Cabana & Fajitas are better...just my opinion. Chicos doesn't count cause it's not really a real Mexican place.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
Anything new!
Always!

I was gonna wait until after the storm, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Fire-Rescue submitted a grant for a new Emergency Operations Center.

Greenville is still in talks with ECU about bringing up-scale mix use development downtown. This sounds like it is something else besides what ECU has planned in their master plan.

Greenville and the Pamlico-Tar River Foundation is in talks about building kayak put in/outs on the Tar. Also they are trying to improve fishing areas. ANND to increase the educational opportunities of the Tar.

I've mentioned it before, but Evans and Arlington intersection is getting repaved.

ECU and Greenville are in talks about merging their Bus system. ECU is waiting for the SGA to get going, since their bus service is paid for and ran by the students. This should cut down cost while increasing services.

Greenville is in talks with AMTRAK about a bus service to either Rocky Mt or Wilson. They could use parking over on the Health Sciences campus. Greenville is also trying to see if we could get AMTRAK service here in the future.

The Parks Dept is in talks about having a bond referendum for new stuff.

They are in the beginning stages of making a "FROGGS" equal for the parks system and each park.

Greenville is also trying to bring cultural and entertainment things that will also
serve as traffic generators downtown.

There is a steering committee out there to help with the theater downtown and its rehab.

Greenville is also starting to streamline their code enforcement. They've reduced the collections from 60 to 30 days. It is now the shortest time allowed by North Carolina General Statutes.

So there is some stuff

Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 PM

247 posts, read 445,386 times
Awesome! Thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
[quote=MrBojangles;20625138]Always!

Greenville is in talks with AMTRAK about a bus service to either Rocky Mt or Wilson. They could use parking over on the Health Sciences campus. Greenville is also trying to see if we could get AMTRAK service here in the future.

Maybe Greenville should invest the money it currently has planned on the intermodal center, and spend it on a on finding some type of way to bring Amtrak service here. I'm sure it would cost more than $11m to bring it here, but it would be a start.

I seriously doubt that Greenville would ever have Amtrak service here though because the Wilson Station has the potential to serve more than Greenville would have, since Wilson serve's Wilson, Wayne,Pitt, etc counties currently. If Greenville had one, it would serve Pitt, Beaufort, Lenoir, and a few others. It's all about money in company eyes.

And if Greenville is so serious about this intermodal center anyways, then maybe we should have a Amtrak bus service coming from the intermodal center, instead of the Heath Science Campus.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Greenville is also trying to see if we could get AMTRAK service here in the future.

Maybe Greenville should invest the money it currently has planned on the intermodal center, and spend it on a on finding some type of way to bring Amtrak service here. I'm sure it would cost more than $11m to bring it here, but it would be a start.

I seriously doubt that Greenville would ever have Amtrak service here though because the Wilson Station has the potential to serve more than Greenville would have, since Wilson serve's Wilson, Wayne,Pitt, etc counties currently.
You may never see projects like this again. Light rail costs about 10 million per mile. 11 million might do the engineering alone. Then you have land acquisitions, permits etc. To get light rail from Wilson to Greenville would probably be in the neighborhood of $1 billion. They can't even scrape up enough money to build 10 miles of 4 lane road by 2020 (SW bypass). What they do have scheduled to build is part of the SW bypass, phase 1, by 2020. There currently is no scheduled start date for phase 2 and 3 of the SW bypass.

Sorry folks, the state and federal govenment are broke. They had to steal money from the Midwest tornado relief account to pay for Irene relief in the northeast.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
Ale House is coming along.....here is their sign. Also, thanks for the update Bojangles..good info!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/315600_268974623114833_219219018090394_1051400_959 271_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM

[quote=BMOREBOY;20663042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Always!

I seriously doubt that Greenville would ever have Amtrak service here though because the Wilson Station has the potential to serve more than Greenville would have, since Wilson serve's Wilson, Wayne,Pitt, etc counties currently. If Greenville had one, it would serve Pitt, Beaufort, Lenoir, and a few others. It's all about money in company eyes.

And if Greenville is so serious about this intermodal center anyways, then maybe we should have a Amtrak bus service coming from the intermodal center, instead of the Heath Science Campus.
This bus service sounds like a "now" thing. I am sure once/if the ITC is built, the service will be moved to there.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You may never see projects like this again. Light rail costs about 10 million per mile. 11 million might do the engineering alone. Then you have land acquisitions, permits etc. To get light rail from Wilson to Greenville would probably be in the neighborhood of $1 billion. They can't even scrape up enough money to build 10 miles of 4 lane road by 2020 (SW bypass). What they do have scheduled to build is part of the SW bypass, phase 1, by 2020. There currently is no scheduled start date for phase 2 and 3 of the SW bypass.

Sorry folks, the state and federal govenment are broke. They had to steal money from the Midwest tornado relief account to pay for Irene relief in the northeast.
I am not an expert or have much knowledge of the railroads, but couldn't AMTRAK use the Norfolk Southern line, since it already goes to Wilson? I am sure there would need to be some updating, but we wouldn't need new land acquisition etc.

I always assumed the City meant using that railway line for "future" AMTRAK service. I think Carolina Coastal Railroad currently rents out that track. Too be sure they couldn't fit on another morning and afternoon train.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 53,298 times
This whole bus transfer station idea is the one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Such a waste of money. No one rides the bus system as it is... throwing money at building a place for empty buses to stop isn't going to solve that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina