Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,363 times

Advertisements

Greenville City Council moves forward with plan to look at further development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 AM

275 posts, read 330,949 times
I say that everything east of Evans in Uptown should serve the students first while everything west of Evans serves everyone else first. Do more updates along Dickinson (ie Trollingwood pass through Saturday that place was packed) and I can see that side of Uptown prospering.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I say that everything east of Evans in Uptown should serve the students first while everything west of Evans serves everyone else first. Do more updates along Dickinson (ie Trollingwood pass through Saturday that place was packed) and I can see that side of Uptown prospering.
The Millennial Campus borders up to Dickinson, so Evans isn't really the barrier. As well the two new mixed use complexes will border Reade Circle.

Honestly, I don't see how putting more housing both market rate and student can hurt anything. If anything there is TOO MUCH commercial space, much of which is being renovated or constructed...there needs to be more people to justify the business investment into that commercial space.

What the City needs to focus on is the Dickinson corridor...the streets and streetscape is the worst in the city. Completing an overhaul similar to what happened at MLK is necessary.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:03 AM

26 posts, read 25,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

What the City needs to focus on is the Dickinson corridor...the streets and streetscape is the worst in the city. Completing an overhaul similar to what happened at MLK is necessary.
Agreed, although I hope it's done with some sensitivity to what makes that neighborhood special. Right now it's pretty fantastic because it doesn't look like a city project -- it looks like individual landowners (and one awesome sculptor) have shaped the street bit by bit. It looks real, because it is. A new road surface would be appreciated, but I hope they don't try to give the sidewalks a unified fancy-brick makeover like they did on MLK. This ain't Disney World.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,510 times
Quote:
Agreed, although I hope it's done with some sensitivity to what makes that neighborhood special. Right now it's pretty fantastic because it doesn't look like a city project -- it looks like individual landowners (and one awesome sculptor) have shaped the street bit by bit. It looks real, because it is. A new road surface would be appreciated, but I hope they don't try to give the sidewalks a unified fancy-brick makeover like they did on MLK. This ain't Disney World.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion & preferences so I'll throw mine out there. Dickinson Ave. currently looks like crap. Once they resurface the street & get the apartments going it will make a drastic change for the better.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
kagi,

good points. I think the city should definitely be methodical with their approach to Dickinson. The sculptures are great and I'm sure will become an artsy focal point in that area. But the entire road system for Dickinson and its connected streets are in immediate need of repaving/improving. I'm not looking for cobblestone streets, but freshly paved streets and fancier sidewalks won't hurt. Bricked crosswalks would be a nice touch.

I hope some sort of overhanging marker is installed to distinguish the "Dickinson Avenue Corridor" or "Imperial Tobacco District" (whatever they choose to call it) similar to the ATC and brightleaf markers in Durham.

And i really hope they decide to have a plaza area in the Imperial/Dickinson district that will take the place of 5 points. I know they've spent good money on making that space usable, but it still screams "parking lot" to me and doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I go there for an event. I wouldn't mind seeing that entire lot sold by the city and turned into a mixed use development.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM

FWIW, I was referring to much more than just the stretch from Reade Circle to the new 10th St bridge. I'm talking past that where from 10th to 14th it looks like a war zone and from 14th to Memorial Dr where there is residential/commercial/industrial mix.

It ALL needs to be done...a MASSIVE project as a corridor to downtown. Surfacing, sidewalks, lamp posts, tearing down vacant structures and the final stretch (most are referring to) can have the sculptures, artwork, etc...with the historic component.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:05 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
FWIW, I was referring to much more than just the stretch from Reade Circle to the new 10th St bridge. I'm talking past that where from 10th to 14th it looks like a war zone and from 14th to Memorial Dr where there is residential/commercial/industrial mix.

It ALL needs to be done...a MASSIVE project as a corridor to downtown. Surfacing, sidewalks, lamp posts, tearing down vacant structures and the final stretch (most are referring to) can have the sculptures, artwork, etc...with the historic component.
True. Once the Imperial site gets done and the area starts to be filled in and the 10th street connector gets completed , I believe you'll start seeing the immediate areas surrounding it to become hotter spots for development. I would hope they would start at the Reade Circle end first when repaving by the state happens, but we'll see how that works out.

All those junky used tire places and dilapidated houses/businesses will one day get sold and turned into condos and office buildings and mixed use projects. People are going to want to be able to walk to the district and be able to feel safe doing so. I don't think it's that far off seeing that happen.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:23 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,510 times
Quote:
And i really hope they decide to have a plaza area in the Imperial/Dickinson district that will take the place of 5 points. I know they've spent good money on making that space usable, but it still screams "parking lot" to me and doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I go there for an event. I wouldn't mind seeing that entire lot sold by the city and turned into a mixed use development.
The uptown area has already out grown the 5 points area. I have stopped attending events down there due to the crowded and loud conditions for most events (food trucks / Football Game Fridays / etc...) outside the things like the open air market. They need to develop a better place to hold these events in the future if they want them to grow & increase the amount of people who attend. I understand it's in the heart of uptown & they want people to go there so they'll visit all the businesses in the area, but once Dickinson Ave gets going in the next few years, they should be looking at a better place to hold these type events.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 PM

There is no reason for a parking lot there. There is a parking deck a half block away now. And there seems to be plans to build a parking deck on the Dickinson side in the future.

That parking lot should have been converted into a PARK all along...Five Points Park. Classic overthinking.

This would encourage walking...and you would have a grass/tree link from 5th St to Dickinson. This would also link City Hall and the Library with a park...it could be a NATURAL centerpiece without a bunch of asphalt and cars.

Could have saved a lot of money and still held festivals, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina