Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I kid you not, that's exactly how every conversation goes unless I just say Greenville, and they automatically assume Greenville, SC. It even surprised that I can sometime go to Raleigh and people will still say 'Greenville, SC?'
To be fair we're pretty much two different states sharing a common border along I-95. Plenty of people further west still harbor the notion that the earth falls off the edge around there, and dragons inhabit the no-man's land past Zebulon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
To be fair we're pretty much two different states sharing a common border along I-95. Plenty of people further west still harbor the notion that the earth falls off the edge around there, and dragons inhabit the no-man's land past Zebulon.
I promise you that I just burst
out laughing because of that one! I must admit, when I lived in Raleigh my perception of Greenville was a bit misconstrued; I thought my mother was trying to punish me by moving there. I still have my beef with Greenville in a sense, but I accept it as my home and a growing community; I just wish others in the State looked at it that way as well.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I promise you that I just burst
out laughing because of that one! I must admit, when I lived in Raleigh my perception of Greenville was a bit misconstrued; I thought my mother was trying to punish me by moving there. I still have my beef with Greenville in a sense, but I accept it as my home and a growing community; I just wish others in the State looked at it that way as well.
When people that have never been here think of Greenville, this picture is probably what they imagine.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM

286 posts, read 653,483 times
My first thought was New Jersey, then I thought maybe Detroit.

Then I looked at the name.... sure enough, Jersey.

People not from Greenville actually probably think:

Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
In the small cities category...and honestly the quality of manufacturing job in Greenville (if its considered a small city) is pretty good. The ASMO expansion is sure to help as well. NAACO, P&G, Grady-White, etc...all good companies.
We are 5th in the Small city category, but 6th overall. Still pretty good

Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM

That same website has the 2013 best cities for job growth. In 2012, we were 148. This year we are......All Cities Rankings - 2013 Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM

I have an idea for a new police substation. It would be at the old City Market or the whole building at 3rd and Jarvis. The City and ECU could both have a joint operation there. Again, this is MY IDEA, and not coming from anyone in charge/official.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 AM

107 posts, read 175,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
PF Changs- The market doesn't seem typical, but the deal seems to be done; just a matter of time. Deal is listed on Tradecor LLC's website.
All of the proposed PF Changs on that website were built in about 2009-2010. About the same time frame that the Greenville, SC PF Changs was opened. This was obviously another mixup between Greenville NC and Greenville SC.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
There is too much volatility in those city job rankings to really be of much use. Employment is a great indicator of the economic health of a region. With some cities moving hundreds of position in a single year, that tells me that the methodology of the data assessment needs some sort of smoothing effect to be of any use. It would be like my economic health being judged on a single day out of an entire week, month or even year.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There is too much volatility in those city job rankings to really be of much use. Employment is a great indicator of the economic health of a region. With some cities moving hundreds of position in a single year, that tells me that the methodology of the data assessment needs some sort of smoothing effect to be of any use. It would be like my economic health being judged on a single day out of an entire week, month or even year.
A three- or five-year moving average would help. Or if there is some already accepted metric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina