Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
If the area acquires more residents and things really get going downtown, I think a good idea for UNX would be a fresh food market and Ficklen being lofts.
I wonder what kind of environmental toxicant are in that building/land. UNX had a lot of chemicals, plus everything a tobacco warehouse brought in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 PM

145 posts, read 266,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Information about the Dickinson Avenue Market and Planning Study

It will (hopefully) include:

To turn Dickinson Avenue into a commercial corridor and gateway to the city.

It will focus on the road from Reade Circle to 14th Avenue.

Analyze the potential for the area to support new office, Tech, Institutional uses, and residential uses.

Public/private investment such as a Technology Transfer facility

Advance manufacturing center/park at the Imperial Tobacco site

Passenger rail station

Feasibility/Development of the Millennial Campus, which is ECU's Warehouse District. The 20 acre site could house the Performing Arts Center and Work/Life Center

Adaptive re-use options for UNX/Ficklen building
-----

This is feasibility/cloud 9 stuff. But it would be pretty awesome for it to all work.
I like hearing that word...Technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
If the area acquires more residents and things really get going downtown, I think a good idea for UNX would be a fresh food market and Ficklen being lofts.
I have said many times that those warehouses should be used for something other then UNX. Seems like they are so old that a lot of the inside most likely would have to be gutted and restored (which may make the clean up easier?) but the exterior looks like its in fairly decent condition.

I think the tobacco warehouses are such a important part of Greenville's history that we should re-purpose them so they won't just fall apart or get demolished.

Your fresh food market idea sounds cool and a old warehouse is a cool place for lofts and apartments.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
When the city was considering where to put the transportation center, UNX said they'd be willing to move out of downtown if the city ever wanted another purpose for their building. The city would have to pay to move their operations of course. If UNX did move, their building would have to be cleaned out no matter what took its place.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
They just started putting up the walls for the new McDonald's next to the new Wal-mart today. I'm sure they'll be up and running in a few short months.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 PM

277 posts, read 436,275 times
I've heard that the old tobacco warehouses are being bought out by the city. Anyone know the truth to this?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:05 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
The Daily Reflector reported that Ribeye's Steak House will be going where the old Daily Grind building is.

I don't know whether this has been reported but Bruebaker's Bagels is gone.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Ribeye's might actually do pretty go at that location. There are no other steak places around that area & the Daily Grind didn't go out of business because it was a poor location or poor food..the service was horrendous & I believe the owners had some person problem come up or something if I recall correctly?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Information about the Dickinson Avenue Market and Planning Study

It will (hopefully) include:

To turn Dickinson Avenue into a commercial corridor and gateway to the city.

It will focus on the road from Reade Circle to 14th Avenue.

Analyze the potential for the area to support new office, Tech, Institutional uses, and residential uses.

Public/private investment such as a Technology Transfer facility

Advance manufacturing center/park at the Imperial Tobacco site

Passenger rail station

Feasibility/Development of the Millennial Campus, which is ECU's Warehouse District. The 20 acre site could house the Performing Arts Center and Work/Life Center

Adaptive re-use options for UNX/Ficklen building
-----

This is feasibility/cloud 9 stuff. But it would be pretty awesome for it to all work.
Some of that is cloud 9 stuff...doesn't the ECU master plan put a performing Arts Center on 1st St? Much better location IMO.

Only to 14th Avenue? What about Dickinson from 14th to Memorial Drive? That needs A LOT of work as well.

And I have said this about the Ficklen Warehouse before...if you want an idea that would be revolutionary...ECU should buy up the site, apply for every grant it can to stabilize and clean it up and then...TURN IT INTO THEIR ART BUILDING. It is adjacent to the Art Museum and Go-Science Center and would be a catalyst for an Arts District. The old Art Building can be torn down and new student housing can be built on 5th St to mirror the other student housing on 5th St. The Jenkins building looks hideous and out of place.

If you did this, then more private student housing would come and more re-development would come to the whole district. The other warehouses can be used for technology. The Imperial area would be good for a train station. And it should be noted that some of that corridor needs to be cleared. That's what the City should focus on, clearing dilapidated properties...vacant lots are better than vacant or underutilized buildings.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
I would think ECU would want a bigger Arts building than the Ficklen warehouse.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
I really think the Dickenson Ave. corridor directly beside downtown could be a really awesome area to redevelop. The Ficklen warehouse, could be a central piece to that puzzle. The warehouse could definitely be turned into a great mix of shops/offices/restaurants similar to the Brightleaf square area in Downtown Durham.

Greenville needs a start. the GO Science center should bring some traffic to that immediate area. If the Ficklen warehouse cannot be used, I would be all for the very small section of buildings across the street from "Tony's automotive" on Dickenson to be completely demolished and rebuilt in a warehouse-style building that houses offices. Then do the same with the set of buildings right beside (Ficklen Drive) the GO Science center. Use a mix of coffee/sandwich shops, art galleries, small book stores, restaurants, and legal offices. Even a bar or two (21+ only after 9pm!) and start to transform that area. LED streetlights, bricked crosswalks...just really go all out!

This is all cloud 9 stuff, but I think it can happen. Looking at the Brightleaf square, it was opened back in 2004 and is pretty popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina