Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 136,523 times

Advertisements

Gracious! Wilmington is a nice area with many small towns within a short driving distance. I would not turn down a career advancement based on opinions here. You really have to visit the area and see it for yourself. A four hour or less trip on a weekend would be worth your time. While here, check out the
small towns around Wilmington. Hampstead is to the north on 17, Burgaw is to the west on 40. My take is that the congestion is worse for commuters when you go south and throw in the bridge openings.
A gorgeous area and you'll find the traffic is nowhere near what you have in Charlotte. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 16,631 times
thanks Bill for your input. My twin sister and I are CNA's. I know we will probably need to be certified in NC. I am in the midst of selling my home here in Palm Harbor, Fl. We will be renting in NC. Our desire is to be able to live and support our lifestyle as close to the beaches as possible. How are the rentals? In Jan. we will be doing a road trip up to you. First job then housing. We are packed down here and ready for the move! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 20,453 times
I have never lived in an area that has so many toxic air and water pollution releases. Doesn't anyone but me notice the discusting toxic air and water in and around Wilmington? WAKE UP PEOPLE THEY ARE RUINING THIS TOWN RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Most of the politicians are corrupt and are getting paid off to attract high polluting industry at the health expense of us and our childen. The DAQ is also corrupt and allows it all to happen. After Carolina Cement/Titan opens the plant in Wilmington this area will be nearly as toxic as Elizabeth/Newark New Jersey. Get pissed like me and lets oust the corrupt Pirates out of office and do our best to get good people who support the interests of the working families who will protect and repair the environment (if it's not too late). I like the people here, they are good people for the most part. Too bad this area had/has potential to be a nice coastal city instead it's turning into a toxic waste port. I am also trying to leave because of pollution and corrupt politicians who are ruining this town. Donate to Stop Titan.org. fight now don't just sit there and let gov't and big business screw us again and again. No offense to others, I'm not a beach person because of the depleated o-zone you can't go out without gettings the beginings of skin cancer, so what you have left is strip malls. To me that is not really beautiful. You want beautiful visit the Adarondacs in NY. FIGHT NOW STOP TITAN FOR STARTERS. Don't say I didn't warn you

Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,765 times
A Youth, traveling to yon city, stopped at a bridge, where sat an old man.
"Old man," said the youth. "What sort of town lies ahead?"
"What sort of town did you come from?" replied the old man.
"Oh, the people there were wonderful! Kind, loving honest, & generous."
"You'll find the people in the town ahead the same", the old man said.
Later, another young man arrived at the bridge.
"Old man, what sort of town lies ahead?"
"What was the town like from whence you came?" ask the old man.
"OH the people there were horrible, mean, selfish, lazy, liars," the youth replied.
"You will find the people there the same", said the old man.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Daisy View Post
I agree with you 100%! Wilmington is being taken over by New York/New Jersey retirees, and now it is the highest place to live in North Carolina. It has become crowded, and the traffic is ridiculous. It isn't the town that I remember anymore, and I am so sad about it that I am sick. My parents live there now, but if they were moving there now they wouldn't be able to afford a home. Everything is expensive. Move to Burgaw in Pender County.
Southerners love to blame 'yanks' for the high cost of everything. Yet, i'd be willing to bet they also shop at the high end malls, eat at the high end resturants and are more than willing to sell real estate to the 'yanks'. They also don't mind selling their homes for double what they paid 10 yrs ago.

Hypocrites.

When i lived there i had no problem with the realistic southerners even though i'm from upstate NY. Most of the girls where loving the fact that i wasn't a local. Since most of the locals where total losers w/o jobs or aspirations of more than surf boards and bud 6-packs.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM

4 posts, read 12,166 times
I have lived all over (Baltimore, Vegas, San Fran, Sarasota, etc) but Wilmington will always be home for me. It has grown from a small town to a thriving city over the past 20 years and with all that growth come unwanted problems, but that can be said of everywhere.

Wilmington used to be an island of civilization for years because you had nothing but rural towns and farms for a 2 hour drive to the west, and a 1 hours drive north or south. It HAD to become a self-sustaining town so you could get what you want when you wanted it.

People fell in love with the beaches, and made plans to move there after they retired, so you have lots of older folks running a city full of younger folks stamping their feet and whining about noise laws. Sure there are delis now, you just have to deal with the Yankee that moved down to run the place.

Downtown is thriving, but that is mainly due to the nightclub scene. A few bars starting doing a lot of business, which made more and more open up. That brings in the Marines and Army guys chasing after UNCW and tourist tail, which can cause problems after dark. Daytime has cute boutiques, restaurants, theater and historic sites to keep you occupied, if you can find a place to park.

Schools in NC all have the same problems, overcrowding, outdated buildings, underpaid teachers. Living on the outskirts of town isn't a bad idea, unless the kids have to be schlepped across town for school or activities or you have to deal with a traffic-filled commute.

Some of the smaller towns (Burgaw, Rocky Point, Castle Hayne, Leland) have the redneck factor, which brings it's own problems.

Crime? Yes in some areas. Traffic? You betcha, talk to neighbors and find alternate routes cause there are lots of tricks and back roads to getting somewhere fast. Schools? There are several new ones built in the past 10 years, ask your realtor. Pretty? Heck yes. Friendly? Most of the time, especially if you find a true local. Variety, quality of life, peaceful surroundings? You bet your bippy. If not, it will build character.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,384 times
Hi! I am relocating down to north carolina from wyoming and am looking for a place to rent. I have two little boys and am not sure where to go. I am trying to get into the prison so iam lookin in Wilmington. Theres a place on Bragg st, whats it like there???

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,023 times
I am 25 years old and a single mother of a 5 year old and 3 year old. I live in Wilkes Barre, Pa and hate it, I lived here my whole life, and realized that this is a dead end, there is nothing here for me and have been looking into moving down to Wilmington. I have always wanted to move down south, and something is pulling me toward Wilmington. I want to get my kids out of this dead end city, and give them a better life. I have a degree in Human Services, and can't find a job in my field(due to all the government corruption) and I am working at a call center. I didn't go to school to work dead end jobs. Any advice as to moving to Wilmington, and about social service/ non profit agency jobs available down there?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM

61 posts, read 293,629 times
There are crowded streets such as College and Market, but there are also totally UNDER utilized streets like MLK Parkway, Independence Blvd., I-40 and even 17th St moves pretty well.

College Rd can be heavy, at 5:00 takes me about 15 minutes to go around 6 miles from Market down to Monkey Junction area. At 7:30 ish in the morning I sometimes drive that same distance north without even stopping for one light. On a slow day, may stop 2 or 3 times, most days always get stopped for the light at New Center. If there's an accident, then can be horrendous, but other than the handful of days a year that happens, the other days it's heavy, but moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
A lot of highways to get you there, but once you're in town, traffic can be horrendous. No freeways within the city, just crowded streets that are not enough to handle the increased population. Keep that in mind. Especially if visiting on a summer weekend.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,053 times
Default Maritime Field

Where should I look for opportunities in the Maritime field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina