Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM

27 posts, read 64,773 times

Advertisements

Thanks Dad!! This reinforces why we are moving from the Philly area!! Especially the
traffic comments I always found them funny!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow.honda View Post
Thanks Dad!! This reinforces why we are moving from the Philly area!! Especially the traffic comments I always found them funny!!
These folks can be ridiculous about the traffic. One of my neighbors told me that if she can drive on Greenville Blvd at rush hour then she can drive anywhere. Greenville Blvd is a cakewalk at rush hour.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,864 times
Thanks for your post. I will be moving to Wilmington next week from a small town north of the Triangle. I lived in the Baltimore metro region for 10 years and I laugh when people talk of traffic being bad in Raleigh. Wilmington didn't seem bad either when I have been there. So far my main 2 drawbacks/cons of moving will be starting over with vacation time at work and it's further away from family in DE.

Looking forward to the proximity of the beach and living in a small city with happenings and not driving 45 minutes for shopping/restaurants.

Although - I must say I don't know much about the baseball stadium discussion but I enjoy baseball and would love if there was a team there as I frequented the Durham Bulls games.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
These folks can be ridiculous about the traffic. One of my neighbors told me that if she can drive on Greenville Blvd at rush hour then she can drive anywhere. Greenville Blvd is a cakewalk at rush hour.
are you talking about greenville rd? i don't think there's a greenville blvd in wilmington.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
are you talking about greenville rd? i don't think there's a greenville blvd in wilmington.
In Greenville. The thing about traffic seems to be universal in Eastern Carolina.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 15,846 times
Dad6Kiddo's post is rational and accurate.

I'm outside Raleigh and visit Wilmington frequently. The place is not big, about 100,000. I don't think it is especially pretty. Locals will complain about traffic, but it is nothing compared to any location in the northeast, west coast, Atlanta, Chicago, etc., etc. I mean, how bad could it be with only 100,000 people? Market Street and other main roads often descend into never-ending strip malls, which is not pleasant.

Downtown is small. The riverfront is great, but only about a mile long. All cities in NC have relatively small downtowns because growth is recent and almost entirely suburban.

Summers are hot and humid. Winters can be beautiful, or they can be gray and wet. Usually both every few days. Snow? Phfft. OTOH, there is a reason for those Hurricane Evacuation signs along the highways.

It is f-l-a-t. If hills are important to you, go elsewhere.

The beaches are entirely covered with condos, timeshares, etc.

Every city of any size in North Carolina has seen a large influx of non-TarHeels in recent decades. Some Professional Southerners may still go out of their way to snub other people. But, in my experience, Wilmington and the rest of North Carolina are full of people who are far more polite and friendly than people I grew up with in the midwest or lived around in DC.

The cost of living is significantly lower than any major metro area in the U.S.

Poltics: Urban areas are Blue. Suburbs are Red. Rural NC is very Red. Except where it isn't. NC is morphing into a purple state. Unless you start things, politics won't come up in routine conversation.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 174,902 times
Default Thank you for this thread!

We moved to Asheville NC from the Charlotte area 2 years ago. I had visited Asheville many times before moving and thought it had a wonderful energy and would be a great place to live. I was wrong. We are now considering the coast to make our new home and Wilmington came up. After reading this thread I feel like I know a WHOLE lot more about the Wilmington area and can add it to my list of places to seriously consider. So thanks!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM

158 posts, read 345,722 times
Default Don't know what to make of this???

I have read all the posts on this thread and can only now wonder what to do. We have recently visited Brunswick Forest in Leland and were impressed with the community. This would be a permanent move for us from the NE, so we really have to do our due diligence and make sure we are doing the right thing.

Can anyone give me an opinion on Brunswick Forest? I would appreciate your input and can then weigh it against all the posts on Wilmington that I don't know what to do with at this point. Thanks...

Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
Can anyone give me an opinion on Brunswick Forest? I would appreciate your input and can then weigh it against all the posts on Wilmington that I don't know what to do with at this point. Thanks...
BF is one of the best communities to consider for retirement. It's far enough from Wilmington you can ignore the complaints about crime and traffic. Sure, the summer weather, with humidity and hurricanes is a negative about the coast. But 9 moths a year the weather is delightful.

Just look at BF by itself and ask whether it is what you want in a retirement community.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM

158 posts, read 345,722 times
Thanks Goldenage for the good advice and positive report on Brunswick Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina