Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 84,915 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Based on a good amount of research I've narrowed down my next move to either Beaufort, NC or Beaufort, SC. Looking for historic/charming town setting (with a downtown)and close to the beach. Hoping to find a bungalow or craftsman style home and can spend up to $350K. I am a psychotherapist so I'm pretty mobile re: career. I get the feeling that these two towns are very similar but would so appreciate any feedback re: any differences between the two. It looks like Beaufort, NC might be closer to the beach (10-15 minutes?).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
I believe Beaufort NC is the oldest town in NC. I know one is pronounced Beeeuufort and one is pronounce Boford but am always getting them confused as to which is which. Suggest you look up their websites and their on line newspapers. also look at the citydata town info from the topleft city-data.com link.

I am not from that part of NC so not much to really offer. Interesting selection of towns though. good luck

Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM

186 posts, read 330,906 times
BOW-fert North Carolina.....

BEYOU-furt South Carolina....

And by the way, its called "orrey" County in South Carolina....the "H" is silent (in Horry County).

Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Bath is the oldest in NC.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:33 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtherapist View Post
I get the feeling that these two towns are very similar but would so appreciate any feedback re: any differences between the two. It looks like Beaufort, NC might be closer to the beach (10-15 minutes?).
You can find some obvious differences in their C-D profiles. The SC Beaufort is larger, like 12,000 versus 4,000. BSC has riverfront and marshes, while BNC is on the Intercoastal Waterway which is salt water and is closer to the ocean. BSC has a large Navy/Marine presence while BNC has some military families because it is close to Camp Lejeune. BSC is more affluent than the state average with household income of $46.9K, while BNC is poorer than the state average household at $30K. BSC also has a significantly younger population at about 34 years old versus BNC at 46.8 YO.

If you were making strictly a business decision, I'd go with South Carolina because of a larger and more affluent population being able to afford the services of a therapist. There's probably a better tax picture in SC also.

While I haven't spent time in either town, I prefer the scenery in BNC. I don't like marshes. However, I think you should be talking to an accountant or business adviser about which town has the better business future. I think that SC has the clear advantage with a more affluent population.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-06-2014 at 06:19 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Beaufort SC, is has beautiful Hunting Island close by. It's also near Bluffton SC, which is full of transplants, as is Hilton Head. There are also lots of therapists there as well.

You'll have to have residence in NC to get your license. I'm not sure about SC these days.When I moved there in the 90s I was able to transfer my LCSW license before moving.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Both towns are lovely. I live in the NC one. We could use your services..we're all quite eccentric here. Bless our hearts.

BNC has a nice melting pot of people who are locals and people who have moved here from "off." PhDs and salt of the earth boaters and cruisers from all over the world. Duke Marine Lab and NOAA facilities bring some interesting folks to Beaufort.

Rachel Carson spent time here. Wrote about our area.

And pirates? Yep...Blackbeard is famous in these parts...you can see parts of his ship in the Maritime Museum. His ship, The Queen Anne's Revenge was scuttled just off shore. Another active pirate is our Capt Sinbad--the only state-sanctioned pirate in any state. In fact, our Pirate Invasion happens this weekend. Come if you dare: The Beaufort Pirate Invasion - Meet the Pirates

Me? Well I visited BSC but ended up here instead. I fit right in. Most writers do. There's lots of inspiration and wackiness to feed the muse.

Come on down, you'll like it.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 84,915 times
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone for such wonderful feedback! I guess it's up to me now to visit these and other surrounding areas.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Both are beautiful. You might have trouble making up your mind!

Also, FYI, if you are Tricare provider, Parris Island is next to Beaufort. Lots of brand new Marines.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM

336 posts, read 716,123 times
We went to Beaufort SC just a couple of days ago as the pictures we've seen have been gorgeous and we were considering moving there. We were very disappointed. Driving through the main street things looked unkept and all we saw were marshes. We drove through several parts. It was a real let down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina