Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:11 PM

56 posts, read 324,446 times

Advertisements

Hi ~

My daughter and I are moving to Port Royal (Beaufort) as I've accepted a job there.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice about moving into the area?
I'm not military nor am I wealthy, just a single Mom who just finished her Bachelor degree in Accounting.
Are people kind towards single parents?

What does this area offer (things to do on a limited budget)?
Looking for suggestions pertaining to almost anything about living in Beaufort.
I've already rented a decent apartment in Port Royal, so I'm alright there.
Any advice will be appreciated as we are moving there in a week!

Thanks for your time!
Laura

Last edited by LauraerieL; 08-18-2006 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 06:38 PM

35 posts, read 173,592 times
Default Things to do?

I live on Ladys Island in beaufort, and have friends in Port Royal. Moved here three years ago from up North. The elementary school in Port Royal is very good I hear. I'm sure there are plenty of single moms here, just as everywhere else. Great YMCA, with lots to do for children and adults. What kind of things do you like to do? Good luck with your job. I'm guessing you might be working for the town.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:40 PM

56 posts, read 324,446 times
I'm a little older (pushing 40) and this degree comes late in life after a career loss due to the fall of the telecom industry (WorldCom). My daughter is going into 11th grade and will attend Beaufort High School. While down there earlier this week, I noticed that the school has made major improvements and seems really nice.

As for what we like to do... well, personally I was enrolled in 16 credit hours each semester while in college (and 8 in the summer) so I did not have a social life at all. I'm hoping to make friends and live a little, whatever that means. and my daughter will continue in chorus, band and maybe join the swim team, which might be difficult because they have no late busses and I can't just leave work (feeling guilty about limiting my daughter's activities).
We are going to be living at The Preserve at Port Royal (apartment complex just past one of the bridges). It seems close enough to Beaufort High School.

I moved from upstate New York a couple years ago to attend Guilford College in Greensboro, NC and it was the most difficult move as people were not too kind. I will not post the comments that I heard as they were too mean.

So...I'm just looking for any tidbits of information or advice...anything at all.
Thank you sooooo much!

Old 08-19-2006, 10:13 AM

35 posts, read 173,592 times
Default Beaufort Living

I emailed you directly with some info

Old 08-19-2006, 05:12 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
With all of the other yankees here you will be aok.
Southerners are fast becoming a novelty.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
laura, I can't tell you too much about the Beaufort area, but it seems to be a really cool place. I know a good bit of people from the area (from college), and they all seem to be normal, laid-back people. Some of them attended Beaufort High, and some went to Beaufort Academy. From what they've told me, it would probably be worth your time to check out Beaufort Academy. But like I said, I don't know much about either school. I get the impression that Beaufort is a very outdoorsy place. The guys I know are all very much into the golfing/fishing lifestyle.

I recently moved from South Carolina (Columbia/Sumter) up to Greensboro. I don't really understand what you mean about the people's attitudes towards you. To me, people seem slightly colder here in Greensboro, but it is similar to places I've been in SC.

I think being a single mother will be a non-issue. If anything, people may sympathize with you. But I highly doubt that it would cause a problem with anyone.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
Default Welcome to Beaufort

You are probably in Beaufort by now and know we have beautiful parks and a lovely waterfront, and of course Hunting Island beach is wonderful. As far as affordable fun, oh well Beaufort is a very exprnsive town to live in. Make friends, you will not find a large population of single moms but we are here, just look hard. I am a single mom with 2 left at home, Henry 7 and Millie 9. If you would like to get together and grab a bite let me know. How old is your daughter? Hope you adjust well and I look forward to hearing from you.
Corinna

Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,147 times
"With all of the other yankees here you will be aok.
Southerners are fast becoming a novelty"

They are not being replaced by yankees so much as they are being replaced by illegal aliens. Beaufort is indeed great but illegals are everywhere esp in Port Royal. Go shopping at wally world on Sunday morning where you will see literally hundreds. This is a huge problem for the area thats only going to get much worse.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 43,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by not4long View Post
"With all of the other yankees here you will be aok.
Southerners are fast becoming a novelty"

They are not being replaced by yankees so much as they are being replaced by illegal aliens. Beaufort is indeed great but illegals are everywhere esp in Port Royal. Go shopping at wally world on Sunday morning where you will see literally hundreds. This is a huge problem for the area thats only going to get much worse.
Here you go again. Are you going to post this in every Beaufort/Port Royal thread?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...-beaufort.html

Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 81,708 times
Talking The south and parts there of

Beaufort /Lady Island I love the lay back , gone fishing, crabbing, shrimping and life. If you look for a fly speck in pepper , yep you will find it.
Having lived in about 15 places growing up as a service brat. I bought a home on Ladys Island, most of the locals in my area are, part time transplants. MA,CN,NH,M,NY and the list goes on.
The worst thing is waiting for the bridge to turn, or running out of bait for the crab pots. I'm retired or tired, and spend time on both coast. I must admit the worst time on Ladys Island is better the best time, any where else. Yep it's warm Yep got some bugs, Yep got some illegal's, Yep got some grumppy folks. Yep your wellcome any time to set a spell, put you feet in the Beaufort river.Splashing you feet in the river is for kids of all ages.
My mom had a saying " Food's in the icebox, and if you do not like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass, when you out." Our house was always full, of nice people and a few grummpy ones. Life is what you make it, and when you make it life is great
As my daddy once said "horses are smarter than humans, you will never see a horse bet on the human race"
O yea if you in you boat , just wave , and no wake.
If you in you car slow down, they write tickets for 7 mph over the speed limit. ( for real , hick ??)
I was going to say that the top speed at HHI on weekends but will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina