Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,678 times

Advertisements

Looks like Beaufort may be the place I am moving with my family. Could anyone tell me some of the bad sides of town my family and I do not want to live?

Also are there many furnished homes in Beaufort? Coming from WV I dont want to bring all our stuff with us since it is expensive to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,128,387 times
Since no one has responded to your post yet, I'll give you my two cents. My wife and I just returned from a trip that started in Fernandina Beach, FL and ended in Wilmington, NC. Prior to this trip, we checked out the upper Gulf Coast. We are looking for the "perfect" place to live, like most on these boards! Having lived in Slidell and Lafayette, LA, we are no longer interested in the Gulf coast, and we've just never been Florida people. We loved Saint Marys, GA and were feeling like we had finally found a town that had the chemistry and atmosphere we were seeking. That is until we saw Beaufort. It blew us both away. It has a great reputation as a polite and cordial town. Everyone we encountered was sincere and friendly. It isn't as "swampy" as Saint Marys. Higher ground means less likely to suffer from tidal surges. Lady's Island was the clincher. I mean we are very close to making an offer on a lot. Of all the places we've looked at, this area made the best impression. $280K gets you a nice home on a large lot. There is the full spectrum of home types and prices, but the area is a bargain compared to where we live in Northern Virginia. You can see that there is growth, but not the sprawl we are trying to escape. Beaufort's waterfront is exciting and is being renovated for an updated look. We had dinner overlooking the river and can't wait to return. A new Publix store on Lady's Island, plenty of shops and restaurants. No Lowes or Home Depot yet, but even better, there are two large local lumber yards ready to help build your home. Port Royal has a lot going on as well. I'm not kidding, look no further. It's close to Savannah, Hilton Head, and Charleston is an hour and a half north. I don't know your situation, but if I were you, I'd take a trip down there, and see for yourself.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 PM

726 posts, read 3,605,523 times
The Beaufort Lowes is on SC 170 near the Walmart
and being a water front area good means on the water. Across the street is less desirable and three blocks off of water front is "getto"

Old 07-14-2006, 01:44 PM

35 posts, read 173,659 times
Default Beaufort Places

Hi!
I live in Beaufort. What you are able to spend on a home will determine the various areas you can live around Beaufort. There are a number of surrounding islands that are technically a part of this small city. Have you explored real estate in Beaufort? Home s range from around $130,000 to several million.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:32 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,128,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh
The Beaufort Lowes is on SC 170 near the Walmart
and being a water front area good means on the water. Across the street is less desirable and three blocks off of water front is "getto"
bg.,
We've found an area on Lady's Island that we are close to making an offer on.
You seem to live there, any advice?

Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 PM

35 posts, read 173,659 times
Default Ladys Island

We live on a small peninsula on Ladys Island in what is descrbed a s a marine forest. It's like living in the country, yet only a block from the Coosaw River.
Ladys is a nice place in Beaufort to live.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:02 AM

11 posts, read 104,006 times
I live on Lady's Island in the Telfair neighborhood. We just moved here in June. I love it! Great neighborhood. Beaufort is a very friendly place. And we do have a Lowes in Beaufort! It's about a 10-15 minute drive from Lady's Island if you take the Paris Island bridge instead of the draw bridge. It's near a Wal-Mart & Staples.

School Districts were our biggest factor when deciding where to buy a house in Beaufort. After much research, we went with the schools on Lady's Island-Beaufort High and Lady's Island Middle School.

There isn't a Mall in Beaufort. We had to drive to Savannah, Georgia which is about a 35-40 minute drive but worth it. I think there is also a Mall in Hilton Head but haven't been there. However, the beaches are wonderful! You can catch sand dollars and starfish all day. Of course, we don't take them out of the water onto the beach. We catch them, look at them, and put them back in the water. Kids love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina