Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 30,148 times

Advertisements

My husband & I currently live in Albany, NY & am looking to relocate to a less expensive area by the water.
We haven't started a family yet & would rent a place a while to be sure of the area prior to buying.
My husband recently immigrated from Scotland here. He found work pretty easily in Albany as there is quite a few base level jobs in labor, warehouse etc.
We are looking to move somewhere quiet and non obtrusive with friendly (not nosey/gossipy) people. We are homebody types who enjoy the sea & beaches and keep to ourselves for the most part.
I telecommute so we are able to move anywhere really. I've vacationed in NC and loved it and decided to research the area.
Can anyone suggest some areas where we would be comfortable & possibly put down some roots? Are there any towns close to the water with reasonable rent? (750-900 range)
Thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM

wow, 25 views & no suggestions, bummer!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,930,079 times
Well I will tell you what I can! I am a NC native and familiar with the coast. The Outer Banks are lovely but there is really not a town/city of any size close by..and not a lot of employment opporunities unless in tourism maybe, or commercial fishing.....moving south, there is Beaufort, a very pretty and quaint town & Atlantic Beach, close to Morehead City, a bit larger city.

Further south, getting closer to Wilmington, the largest city on the coast, but it is not really that big....there is a university there and a major hospital and a nice downtown, with a boardwalk on the riverfront. There are lots of tourists too...this city probably has the most to offer overall. Closer to the SC line, there are a no. of beach towns....smaller but in driving distance of shopping etc. They might have cheaper rents than say Wilmington, as there is a lot of competition there due to lg. no. of college students.

Good luck!

Not sure of rents anywhere..but you could google online and see for the areas above..or check the real estate sites in those areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie! View Post
My husband & I currently live in Albany, NY & am looking to relocate to a less expensive area by the water.
We haven't started a family yet & would rent a place a while to be sure of the area prior to buying.
My husband recently immigrated from Scotland here. He found work pretty easily in Albany as there is quite a few base level jobs in labor, warehouse etc.
We are looking to move somewhere quiet and non obtrusive with friendly (not nosey/gossipy) people. We are homebody types who enjoy the sea & beaches and keep to ourselves for the most part.
I telecommute so we are able to move anywhere really. I've vacationed in NC and loved it and decided to research the area.
Can anyone suggest some areas where we would be comfortable & possibly put down some roots? Are there any towns close to the water with reasonable rent? (750-900 range)
Thanks in advance for any input

Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 AM

7,156 posts, read 12,714,953 times
Just looked on Craigslist for you and if you search under "Eastern" NC you'll find 1-2 bedroom apts. and homes in Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores and Morehead City within your price range. With the beach rentals, you'll want to make sure you can get a long-term lease and it's not just an off-season rental.

Check out the Wilmington postings and see what you find. I'm not familiar with Wilmington.

The beach towns on Bogue Banks (Atlantic Beach, PKS, Emerald Isle, etc.) will be busy during the summer months of June, July, August and during major holidays and pretty quiet otherwise. Sometimes, in the late fall and winter, you can walk on the beach and be by yourself. During the summer months you'll have company but nothing compared to NJ beaches...

My favorite town is Beaufort, for many reasons, mostly the quaintness and lots of free music and a lively art scene...while on the water, B'fort is 15 minutes from the ocean. Fun to bike around town...Morehead City, across a couple of brdiges from B'fort, is closer to the beach and has all the big box stores for shopping, the chain restaurants for eating, while B'fort has the locally-owned boutiques and non-chain eateries...depends on what you want...

You might want to visit to see which community captures your heart...

Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Thank you for the information & taking time to actually look on craigslist- honestly I never thought of that =) I did look on some realty sites, but as you mentioned, they were primarily aimed @ tourists/summer rentals.. You've given me some great information and things to look into
Thanks again!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 PM

431 posts, read 1,143,753 times
Josie, I moved from near Albany last year. I highly recommend it. It's the complete opposite of up there. I live in Wilmington and it's perfect for me. Maybe visit and tour some apartments?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,868,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie! View Post
wow, 25 views & no suggestions, bummer!
Patience is a virtue...

Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,805 times
We just moved to Swansboro, NC this past May. We love it! We are on the intercoastal, have 2.4 acres and enjoy the small town atmosphere. Beach is about 15 minute drive. Jacksonville, Wilmington and Morehead City are all close by for shopping if you can't find it in Swansboro. As for labor jobs, houses are being built left and right so he might be able to get onto a crew. The people are friendly but not obtrusive. We think it's a great place to live. Of course I'll let you know more if Irene hits us. Fortunately, neighbors have already called and offered to go in and get any valuables we want out and pull down the hurricane shutters and lock them for us so we should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina