Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,628 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking for some assistance. I am originally from a barrier island off the coast of NJ. So, I am well aware of what it is like to live on a desolate winter island, I love it! I am also familiar with high taxes. That being said, my husband and I are looking to relocate from the north to the NC coast. I have seen posts indicating Carteret County/Beaufort as nice places to live. How about areas in the outer Banks? I need a place with good schools, low crime and close enough to areas with employment. I am a healthcare worker so being close to a hospital or social work office would be ideal. Any input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTorzsas View Post
I have seen posts indicating Carteret County/Beaufort as nice places to live.
Agreed they are nice places. Perhaps you should read thru the forum and search on "relocation". About two dozen other posters have asked the same questions in the last 6 months, and been given the same advice-- concentrate on locating a job first. Any place you can find a job is probably a good place to raise a family. I suggest looking at Jacksonville, Newport, Havelock for military-related positions.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 AM

Thank you for your help! I will look into employment in those areas and check that forum.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
I will look into employment in those areas and check that forum.
The Jacksonville newspaper is at News Source for Jacksonville, North Carolina - jdnews.com . The Wilmington paper is at Wilmington NC: Latest news, sports, weather | StarNewsOnline.com . Another good resource is at: Onslow County North Carolina (NC) Jobs / A Onslow Employment Opportunities Directory Some Camp Lejeune jobs are listed here: Marine Corps Community Services, Camp Lejeune: Job Announcements However, there is a whole art and science to finding Federal jobs, and veterans and spouses get priority in many situations.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,033,751 times
The North Carolina Employment Security Commission has a fantastic site for job postings. You can do a state search, region search or a county by county search
https://www.ncesc.com/default.aspx
Click on "Individual services" then "Find a job" then click on "Find Jobs with NC JobConnector" and last but not least click on "Preview job listings".
You can submit your resume/job history and the Commission will match you up with potential jpbs.
Good Luck!
Bill Hitchcock

Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM

79 posts, read 318,666 times
Quote:
Hello! I am looking for some assistance. I am originally from a barrier island off the coast of NJ. So, I am well aware of what it is like to live on a desolate winter island, I love it! I am also familiar with high taxes. That being said, my husband and I are looking to relocate from the north to the NC coast. I have seen posts indicating Carteret County/Beaufort as nice places to live. How about areas in the outer Banks? I need a place with good schools, low crime and close enough to areas with employment. I am a healthcare worker so being close to a hospital or social work office would be ideal. Any input is greatly appreciated!!
Sounds like the Outer Banks is right up your alley.Medical jobs do exist in the immediate area at the Outer Banks Hospital and Regional Medical Center.There's a large hospital in Elizabeth City that some locals commute to for work,about 50 miles away.We have great schools and the vast majority of crime is non violent.
Unlike the old days,most of the businesses do remain open during the winter from Kitty Hawk to Manteo.I've lived here since 1988 and it truly is a wonderful place,especially if you enjoy the beach and the outdoors.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks so much for all your input. I have checked into the area hospitals and military bases so far. I do not think I will have difficulty finding employment in the area. It also seems like there are decent year round rental homes. I have mostly checked real estate agent websites. If there are any great rental resources that would also help. I'm excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina