Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM

591 posts, read 866,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I pronounce all of these lazy tongued words correctly. It would be Top-sale for me. It's Green-ville, not Green-vule. When my son in law came home from work one day he said that they had worked in Rally. I said I didn't know where Rally was. He said yeah you do, it's the capital of the state. Sir Walter Rally would be turning over in his grave. :-)
Actually the pronunciation Top-s'll is from England, it was set around 200 years ago, just like bos'n, cap'n, foc's'll (forecastle) and other nautical terms. This is a not regional North vs South or Tidewater vs. Mountain thing, these are universal pronunciations in the U.S., some linguists saying that the foreshortened or elided vowels were influenced by Irish and Scots-Irish sailors (most crew was lower-class and some were impressed for debt) who had a penchant for eliding certain vowels (Nash'n vs. Nashun for nation).

And as far as SW Raleigh goes, the following were variant spellings of his name during his lifetime (proving the point that regionalism was very alive in England then): Raleigh, Rawleigh, Rawley, Rawlee (-ey and -ee were not the same in those days), Rolley, Ralley, and others. Just like the kinds of variations in pronunciation seen today between regions of the U.S. - room and ruum, roof and ruuf, (standard English versus East Anglia/Dutch) or very versus "vurry" (the Philly way of pronouncing it, also Dutch-influenced).

And BTW when I was in Raleigh, I sadly noted that most accents were transplant I was half-expecting an accent as unique as the "Yat" part of New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Another coastal town you may want to know how it's pronounce is Beaufort Its pronounced Bow-Furd.
But if you visit Beaufort SC its Bew-Furd.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I pronounce all of these lazy tongued words correctly. It would be Top-sale for me. It's Green-ville, not Green-vule. When my son in law came home from work one day he said that they had worked in Rally. I said I didn't know where Rally was. He said yeah you do, it's the capital of the state. Sir Walter Rally would be turning over in his grave. :-)
Sorry, but the "correct" way to pronounce a geographic name is how the natives do, not as it's spelled. "Top-SAIL" is just as wrong as "Rally".

Do you say Ar-KANSAS? Do you say "MARY Land"?

I confess that this means I need to learn to say "Nuh-VAD-a" instead of "Nuh-VAH-da", but I'm aware that that's my quirk, not theirs.

Quote:
And BTW when I was in Raleigh, I sadly noted that most accents were transplant I was half-expecting an accent as unique as the "Yat" part of New Orleans.
There are plenty of Southerners/NC natives in Raleigh, but the "Raligh accent" is not all that "striking". It's a "soft" Southern accent, not like the "mountain" sound that is very twangy, nor like the coastal (r-less) accent that's buttery. Just a middle-of-the-road Southern, somewhat like "Julia Sugarbaker" on "Designing Women" for lack of a more recent well-known character.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
It's amazing how the born and bred indengenious personnel from the coastal communities pronounce words like "tourist" and "developer". It doesn't sound anything like how it's spelled!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sorry, but the "correct" way to pronounce a geographic name is how the natives do, not as it's spelled. "Top-SAIL" is just as wrong as "Rally".

Do you say Ar-KANSAS? Do you say "MARY Land"?

I confess that this means I need to learn to say "Nuh-VAD-a" instead of "Nuh-VAH-da", but I'm aware that that's my quirk, not theirs.
agreed X 1 Bazillion

its one thing to say it incorrectly because you dont know better, a whole other thing to say it incorrectly after being corrected.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
agreed X 1 Bazillion

its one thing to say it incorrectly because you dont know better, a whole other thing to say it incorrectly after being corrected.
Mr. Martin has made it very clear on other threads that he has a chip on his shoulder the ways of the south.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I'm glad this thread was started because I was saying "top-sale."

OK, now how about Kure Beach? I used to say "cure" (don't shoot me)...then I heard people say "curry"...then someone told me that it's not even "curry," it's more like "cure-y" (or, Curie as in Marie)

I just go to Ft. Fisher...that I can pronounce

Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM

46 posts, read 211,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Another coastal town you may want to know how it's pronounce is Beaufort Its pronounced Bow-Furd.
But if you visit Beaufort SC its Bew-Furd.
I have always heard and pronounced the NC version of this town as Bow-Furt (not ford).

Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I didnt say ford I said Furd

Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
LOL, it's the same all over: many towns in PA and VA for instance are pronounced differently than you would think from the spelling: i.e. Lebanon, PA is pronounced LEB-nun, Staunton, VA is pronounced: STAN-ton.

I have to say though as some princess person posted, I have a hard time not saying a word the way it's spelled

I had been checking into a rental at what I thought what TOP-SAIL, now I know better. I also found out when staying in Corolla it's not pronounced like the car.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina