Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times

Advertisements

We will more than likely be relocating to the Wilmington area. Can anyone give me insight to the public school system? Are the schools good? Specifically, are there any Honor School of Excellence/School of Excellence/School of Distinction,etc rated schools in the area? If so, can you please list them? My budget is $500k for a home and I definitely want to move to a good school district. Also, feel free to list the schools/areas to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
We will more than likely be relocating to the Wilmington area. Can anyone give me insight to the public school system? Are the schools good? Specifically, are there any Honor School of Excellence/School of Excellence/School of Distinction,etc rated schools in the area? If so, can you please list them? My budget is $500k for a home and I definitely want to move to a good school district. Also, feel free to list the schools/areas to avoid.
If you can afford a $500,000 home why would you even consider a public school? You can put your kid in a private school here for as little as $5,000 a year and avoid the 75% graduation rate that the NC public school system considers acceptable.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
If you can afford a $500,000 home why would you even consider a public school?
i share your perspective that a quality private school is a tremendous advantage for a kid, even in a place like Wilmington where the public schools are not bad. I definitely wonder why so many people will spend half a million dollars on a house, instead of sending their kids to a private school.

That said, we really don't know the OP's situation. They may have a huge family of 5 or 6 children, where $500k is stretching the budget to buy a big enough house, and sending 5 or 6 kids to a private school is unreasonably expensive.

Last edited by le roi; 05-25-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM

I never realised that private school was that inexpensive. I am origionally from Cary and Cary academy costs $21,000-23,000 each year and Ravenscroft in Raleigh costs $17,000-$19,000 each year. Maybe the private schools in Wilmington are more affordable? I find it hard to believe you can find a good private school for as little as $5,000/year. Almost sounds too good to be true. I have no problem spending $5,000 each year, however, $20,000/year is rediculous to me.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I find it hard to believe you can find a good private school for as little as $5,000/year. Almost sounds too good to be true.
it is possible, since they exist in other places, mostly small towns with small economies. I don't know if there is a quality one for $5k/year here in Wilmington.

Last edited by le roi; 05-25-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
In my research the less expensive private schools are usually religious with less qualified teachers. The non-religious schools with accreditation seem to be around $15-20,000 a year with the majority of their staff holding master's degrees or higher. Obviously, there can be good religious schools and bad accreditated schools, but it seems like you usually get what you pay for!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
In my research the less expensive private schools are usually religious with less qualified teachers. The non-religious schools with accreditation seem to be around $15-20,000 a year with the majority of their staff holding master's degrees or higher. Obviously, there can be good religious schools and bad accreditated schools, but it seems like you usually get what you pay for!
That statement puts public education in it's proper light.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM

How did we get so off track from the origional question? My question was about quality public schools, not public versus private.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Just FYI....Wilmington Christian Academy....very strenuous in academics....is anywhere from $3500-$4770/year (depending on the grade level of the child). My husband's aunt sends her daughter (now in 7th grade) there, and they LOVE the school!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM

76 posts, read 162,093 times
We are house hunting now. People (realtors, friends, co-workers) tell us to look in the Parsley, Grise/Hoggard High district for a house with quality schools. If there are any Honor/Schools of Distinction here in town they sure don't advertise it like I have seen them do in other states/communities we have lived in. DH and I have heard nothing but good things from friends whose children attend both of year round schools - Codington, Eaton but you can only get in by the lottery and with today's economic cut backs these same friends say it will be near impossible to get in unless you start in kindy. We have applied twice (last year and this year) to Codington for our DD and both times have not received a spot.

The other thing you might consider is Topsail. Apparently Topsail Elementary and High School (not sure about the middle school) are excellent. We have friends who moved up there strictly for the schools. They love it. However DH wants to least amount of communte (he works right near downtown) he can possibly have so that is not an option for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina