Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 PM

12 posts, read 29,675 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.. i'll apologize a head of time if this has been answered one too many times, however I haven't a lot of time to check to see if it's been discussed throughly or not.

I am living in way Upstate NY, above the ADKS and am thinking of moving to a warmer climate. I am having quite a hard time figuring out where to go however so I will list some of my "qualifications" and would love it if locals of the Wilmington area would give me some advice.

Close to a reasonably good sized city with culture, museums, parks for hiking, walking, biking, of course the beach . WARM (haha, it's 10 degrees here right now). I would like to live semi close to a downtown area where I could choose to walk to shops and restaurants. I'm not too worried about crime, I mean I am don't get me wrong however I lived in the N. Bronx for a year, taught in the S. Bronx and walked around like crazy so I'm sure it wouldn't be anything like that. I would be looking for a job in education teaching science specifically.

I know that's a long "laundry list" however I have been on this site forever and have seen many positives and negatives. I would like to get a better feel before I make arrangements to visit in person.

I'm not quite sure what my price range would be yet.. definitely renting, and thinking in the ballpark of 800's.

Any info anyone would like to share would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I would look at the raleigh area. many more jobs than wilmington and the cost of living is much lower. there is going to be a lot more to do there as well as it is a MUCH larger city. it's proximity to the mountains is also good for your hiking fix. wilmington is ok, but a larger city is going to be a better fit for you I think.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice... I am looking for a medium sized city would Wilmington qualify as such? I haven't really checked out the Raleigh area so that will be next on my list. I will be teaching, so proximity to a school (with an opening of course) would be what I need in terms of a job.

What are some positives of living in both cities??

Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,780 times
I can speak for both as I have lived in both cities. I was born and raised in Cary (right outside Raleigh). Have lived in 13 years in Wilmington. As far as an abundance of jobs, Wilmington is not your best bet. Unfortunately, there are many more jobs and higher salaries in the Raleigh area. If you're looking for teaching jobs, they would be available in both places. Not sure on the difference in pay. Someone posted a New Hanover County Schools job fair that is coming up. Use the search tool for the Coastal region to find the link or you could google. I would say rent would be about the same in both places for apartments and single family homes. Raleigh pop around 350,000, Wilmington pop around 125,000. Hope that helps

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks, it does help.. What are your reasons for staying in Wilmington as opposed to Raleigh? I do like large areas, but i'm looking for cham, close to a downtown area where you can walk around for shops, restaurants, museums... Is this possible in either area?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
wilmington is much better for the retiree, as I have discovered. raleigh is a much bigger area and it's very spread out. you will find much more to do also. there really aren't too many advantages to wilmington. some would say the beach, but during the summer, the town gets so crowded that most locals don't go. downtown has some nice homes and buildings. you really get the "middle of nowhere" feeling in wilmington. on the other hand, raleigh is a really big area and traffic can get bad.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 AM

I am not opposed to retirees, however I am young (30) and am looking to start a social life haha... or at least return to one. I suppose I am just so attracted to the idea of being near the beaches, however I don't want to be bored out of my mind like where i'm currently living.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 AM

83 posts, read 367,732 times
It sounds like your decision is made for all intents and purposes. Do not fall into the same trap thousands have with the glamour and appeal of the beach. You get here...you go a few times and fight the crowds...parking fees...cigarette butts...seaweed...dog crap among other things on the beach and it loses its appeal fast. Combine this with a horrible job market...dangerous roads and high cost of living and you bail. Don't do it. Raleigh is better and you are still close enough to visit the beach at your leisure.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Oh my decision is far from made... I have a lot of planning, research, and visiting to do. I would just love some sort of beach community near a medium sized city.. affordable of course (does one even exist? ) I am definitely going to be checking out Raleigh, have some family near the area.

I really appreciate all the info.. keep it coming!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,780 times
It sounds like you might like the Mayfaire area in Wilmington. The downtown Wilmington area also sounds like something you might like where you are close enough to walk to things.

In Raleigh, you would probably be looking possibly in the Glenwood South area, which is pretty expensive. Anything inside the beltline is going to be very expensive (more expensive than inland Wilmington). There is also Brier Creek. Raleigh is definitely more spread out. I wouldn't say that Raleigh or Wilmington have an abundance of cummunities where you can easily walk to things. Sidewalks are much more prevalent in the Raleigh area. Wilmington is slowly catching up.

I am around your same age and can attest to there being many things to do for people your age in both areas. I would say Raleigh has more of a young professionals setting. Wilmington has it too, it's just smaller. In my opinion, people in Wilmington are more laid back than Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina