Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 AM

17 posts, read 97,263 times

Advertisements

Hello NC! I'm trying to plan my eventual escape from New Jersey. I was originally hoping to land on Topsail Island but am now considering going just a few miles inland to Holly Ridge, since I've fallen in love (online) with the Cottages at Holly Ridge. I've never been to NC but love everything I've read about this area. I'm planning a trip down there, hopefully next month.

My biggest question right now: Would it be feasible to own and maintain a property in this area even though I can't move there until I can retire in about 10 more years. I was thinking that it should be doable if the HOA covers outside maintenance. Otherwise, it may be tricky. Can you think of anything else I need to factor in? I don't know if it's insane to even consider doing this, but I really want to get my retirement home purchased and paid off so I can retire at the earliest possible date that I'm eligible. Then I could sell my home here and live off some of the proceeds from that until my pension kicks in (I'd have to defer payments for a few years in order to not be penalized).

Also would like to know if Cardinal Builders a well-known and reputable developer? I usually favor older more solidly built homes over new construction.

Would it be a quick ride to the beach and could I park easily, even in season? Proximity to the beach is a huge part of my choosing this area.

Any other info that I should consider?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 AM

451 posts, read 1,916,960 times
I've looked at those houses and was impressed with the neighborhood. Careful about adding options to the houses though...they get expensive quickly!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM

No doubt! If the pictures accurately represent what you get at the base price, it's a pretty nice package. It even includes extensive landscaping and irrigation system.

I'm more hopeful since I spoke with the sales office. They said they could maintain my lawn for $25 per cutting, and that I could probably arrange for them to check on the house for me periodically. But I think I'd be able to get down there often enough that that shouldn't be necessary. Still, it's good to have the option. Also, the HOA fees are only $25/mo. Awesome! I also got info on taxes and insurance, which will likely be less that what I'd pay in NJ just for RE taxes, so it sounds good! I can't wait to get down there to check it out in person.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM

451 posts, read 1,916,960 times
They were definitely nice and seemed like a good deal for being so close to the beach. Plus, the neighborhood was on a little hill which was surprising...don't get me wrong, it wasn't much of a hill, but was nicer than some of the surrounding topography.

The houses and landscaping looked very good in person.

The realtor representing the builder was very nice and helpful.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM

291 posts, read 871,256 times
I hope you enjoy your trip to explore - I would look at those homes and also at:
Mill Creek Sneads Ferry, NC

I have several friends who live in that area and they enjoy these homes very much - and also so close to the beach!

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Important question:

How would the drive to the beach (Surf City) be and would parking be tough? I know it's just a 3 mile ride down Rt 50, but can you actually find a place to park or is it a hassle? I'm asking because there is a tiny little bunker of a house that's for sale just off the beach and I may decide to opt for convenience over a sweet house at the Cottages which would require driving everywhere.

Also, is Surf City a year round community or is dead in the winter?

Lastly, any recommendations for a good buyer's agent in the area?

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM

107 posts, read 257,615 times
Always see what the Standard Features are that the builder is offering, and incorporate them into your Offer ALWAYS...Remember, if you want any upgrades, they must be paid upfront after acceptance of your Offer, and it is usually cheaper to get an upgrade NOW when the home is being built, than years later when you want to change something...

Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM

414 posts, read 702,943 times
I live in Surf City and it is a year-round community, though the population is much smaller in winter. It's a short 5-10 minute drive (unless the bridge opens) from the cottages to the beach. I don't have to worry about parking here, so I can't testify as to how hard it is to find at high season, but I think there's a lot of it and it's free. One advantage to buying a house on the beach would be that during the 10 years 'til you retire you could rent it in the summer to help with some of the expenses. That's what I did with my townhouse in Surf City (I bought 6 years before retirement). I put it on several internet rent-by-owner sites and managed to fill it for 10 -12 weeks a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina