Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM

645 posts, read 1,543,468 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was in Cleveland about 2 years ago, (in the winter) and thought overall it seemed like a nice place... Lots of parks, the lake, interesting areas with a definite ethnic flair, good food, etc....

I grew up just outside of Pittsburgh and as it happens, my wife is interviewing with companies in both locations, and I ask you folks who have lived in both cities to please give me your thoughts about how they compare to each other.

Comparison issues such as: Cost of living, taxes, traffic congestion/bad drivers, the friendliness/attitude of the people, which did you prefer, or anything you might think would be helpful. I am currently living south of Indy, and have not lived in PA for many years, so what I think P'Burgh is like/my perception is I'm sure very different than the reality.

Thanks a lot, and I'm very much looking forward to your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM

332 posts, read 2,253,402 times
Hello!! Both cities are currently rebuilding their regional economies especailly in the medical and bio medical fields. Cleveland is a large banking, insurance and law center. I've never lived in P-burgh so I can't tell you how the traffic compares, but Cleveland doesn't have bad traffic at all and is only tight at a few choice spots throughout the Cleveland-Akron metro area. Cleveland's not as hilly as pbgh, until you get on the east side. Cleveland is a more diverse area than Pittsburgh and has more cultural riches I believe. The eastern side of the Cleveland metro gets alot more snow than Pbgh because of the lake.

The cost of living is about the same in both, but Penn has no sales tax while Ohio does.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
I think both cities are very similar. I've never lived in Pittsburgh, but have spent plenty of time there with family. The natives' attitudes and friendliness are similar. The cultural offerings, professional sports, etc. are similar. It's my experience that traffic in Cleveland is a little less hectic and the highways seem better planned. Cleveland does have that big ol' lake going for it, which also keeps the smog and allergens down, unlike in Pittsburgh where the valley keeps everything in.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 98,591 times
I have lived in both cities and I prefer Cleveland over Pittsburgh. Both of them have traffic but I think Pittsburgh may be a little worse because of all the tunnels that they have. Everyone has to slow down when a tunnel approaches. And there is tons of traffic if you are leaving Pittsburgh to the south. And Pittsburgh has the infamous "Pittsburgh left" where drivers make a left hand turn before the oppossing traffic at stop lights even though the opposing traffic has the right of the way. In Cleveland a majority of the traffic is around dead man's curve and the shoreway. It is much easier to navigate Cleveland than Pittsburgh. The streets in Pittsburgh don't make a lot of sense when you first drive on them and they are narrow. It took me a year and a half to find my way around Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has a lot more hills than Cleveland and they dont like to plow the streets that much. Cleveland seems to take care of the snow much better. Both cities are crazy about their football teams, but Cleveland has an NBA team while Pittsburgh has none (if that matters). And the Pittsburgh Pirates have not been good for a lonnnnnnng time (the stadium is nice though). A nice thing about Pittsburgh is that things in the area are generally close. I would say people in both cities are friendly. Especially if you talk about the Steelers/Browns in the respective cities. But overall I think the main difference is that Pittsburgh is a hillier version of Cleveland. It all comes down to whether or not you want your house on a mountain.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
It is much easier to navigate Cleveland than Pittsburgh.
Well, you can only go so far north ... LOL ... I was thinking about this as I wrote my original post -- Does it help or hurt traffic that Cleveland has only three sides to it? Not to get off topic or anything; it just kept me wondering. Perhaps I need to get a life ...

Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,865,676 times
I definitely have to give Pittsburgh props for the hills. I love hills! That's one more thing I miss about my own hometown. Very nice decision on the part of our Colonial forebears, to build Fort Pitt in the middle of the Alleghenies!

However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschvy View Post
It is much easier to navigate Cleveland than Pittsburgh. The streets in Pittsburgh don't make a lot of sense when you first drive on them and they are narrow.
That's for darned sure! At least Cleveland's street layout makes, sense at least. Pittsburgh's streets & highways border on dysfunctional.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 98,591 times
Does it help or hurt traffic that Cleveland has only three sides to it
It may hurt the fact that Cleveland only has 3 sides because it would provide more options for people who work in Cleveland to live. This would work as long as the amount of jobs in Cleveland stayed the same. If there was a fourth side then there might be more jobs which would mean more people living in the area. Therefore the traffic would remain about the same. Even though there are only 3 sides to Cleveland I have seen traffic worse in other places. Especially in Pittsburgh where some of the highways have a speed limit of 55mph and some highways only have 2 lanes.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 PM

332 posts, read 2,253,402 times
I think another thing about Cleveland's layout is its grid system of numbering streets North and south you have either East or West X street and east to west you have XAvenue. ALso we have alot of streets that go from the Northern side all the way across town to the southern sides. Additionally many avenues go from downtown all the way to the 'burbs and beyond, so as long as you know the major streets in Cleveland, you know where you are.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 PM

645 posts, read 1,543,468 times
Thanks everyone!

Very interesting information, and perhaps a few more folks will contribute.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM

61 posts, read 234,553 times
Def cleveland is a better choice!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: