Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
garfield 1-2323 was for aluminum siding or windows
there was no pool or bowling at goldengate... it was at the Eastgate Coliseum..
That's right - I forgot which one it was. I did move in 75 (when I joined the AF) and never moved back. It's interesting to go there and see what's still there, and what's gone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
interesting is that the eastgate coliseum was built on all mob money

Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 26,812 times
Are we seriously the only ones that call them treelawns? Thats crazy! What do other people call them?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,704 times
Default Too many memories

I live in Lorain now and reading all of these posts brings up a great point. We, as Clevelanders have pride in our city and our heritage. You just don't see that in many other cities around the country. Here is my list:
Higbee's
May Company
The Silver Grille
Fanny's restaurant-it kills me that they are closed!
Slovenian sausage from Riddell's-east side
Terminal Tower
Old Municipal Stadium
Rini's,Fazio's,Heinen's-no place else has had the grocers and food we have
Joe's in Rocky River
Bernie and the Browns
Uncle Bill's
Gold Circle
The RTA rapid-the memories of taking it downtown at Christmas chokes me up today
Slovenian Christmas parties at the home on St.Clair
Benny Shapiro's corned beef
The Brown Derby by the airport
Teddi's restaurant in Parmatown and southland
The old flats
Howard Johnson's
Just so many more-too many to list!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
DID ANYONE MENTION THE jEAN cARROL SHOW ON SUNDAY MORNING? IT FEATURED tHE jEAN cARROL DANCERS!!!!! and those sunday morning used car comercials with the guy talking so fast about each car thAt drove in front of him ,then he would yell get it out of here and another car would drive up...

Old 11-21-2008, 05:53 AM

20 posts, read 81,791 times
Default Remember Nela Park

Do you remember the General Electric Nela Park Christmas light display on the East side of Cleveland. I remember our parents making a whole evening affair out of our trip to Nela Park. The lights were beautiful. It really got you into the Christmas spirit. I just moved back to Ohio after being gone from here for 25 years and have and a lot of things you mentioned brought back a lot of old memories.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Wow, I just read through all 41 pages. I hope this isn't dead. I was happy to see Happy Charlies mentioned. If I'm not absolutely mistaken, it was located on Euclid Ave just west of the Willo-Plaza sort of across from the hospital. Of course there may have been more than one. That's the one I remember. You would get a little plastic brown Happy Charlie Buddha figurine. I've been looking for one for years. We lived in Willoughby and I still remember the ride home one day after going there and getting the little plastic buddha. Being from Willoughby, I recall The Utopia just past downtown Willoughby and on Thursday nights they would have teen night. We called it kool-aid night. I was at the races in Painesville when the 4th of July storm hit. I was 8 but I remember how dark it got and power lines down. My folks have a pic of a big tree branch on top of our car. Amazingly it did little damage. Faflik shoe store also had a monkey. I think it was in Willowick? A big built in cage at the back of the store. The Fafliks at the Great Lakes Mall had a myna bird, While everyone listened to WMMS I recall that in the morning we all listened to Mudd in the mornings. (105?) He had a call in thing sort of like the Gong Show. It was always interesting and then he would sign off with "Piggies" by The Beatles. We played baseball in sort of a field in the middle of nothing in Kirtland that had a snow fence as the outfield fence. There were spots busted out and the Kirtland kids would tell us that was where the melonheads crashed through at night. Standing out in Lake Erie in January and listening to the ice creak and groan. I still recall that sound. Sitting in class at Eastlake Jr High and listening to the ice on the river getting dynamited. We moved in 78 but I still get up there every now and then.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
anybody remember the wizards inn on chardon road in willoughby.. all you can eat crab legs for 12 or 13 bucks.. burnt to the ground around 1993.. still nothing there.. was told it was arson and owner had something to do with it

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverhoof View Post
Are we seriously the only ones that call them treelawns? Thats crazy! What do other people call them?
YES, that's us!!!!! I said that term to my husband a few years back, and he said "huh? what the heck is a tree lawn?"

It's b/c in Cleveland suburbs, most all of the trees were not on the front lawn, they were on the "tree lawn". The tree lined streets that we think of. Try to remember where all the big oaks were...lining the "tree lawn". I think that is why the term is for us, and not many others.

I really do miss Cleveland, and am trying to get my hubby to move there. We are in FL, so most people think I'm nuts...but I don't want to raise my kids in FL...I want them to experience all the great things I did and all of you did (which is obvious by this post)

You will never find a "other things only a Floridian would know/appreciate" post. LOL

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar77 View Post
I had a wonderful childhood growing up in Cleveland Heights. I remember riding our bikes up to Noble Road where we kids would go to Franklin Ice Cream store for cones, which were only a nickle. ( yea, I'm dating myself a bit. There was a Washington's Drug Store and Stonebreakers Drug Store. We would buy lemon cokes ( my favorite at the time) at either place. They both had fountain counters back then. Some other places I recall on Noble Road, Swift Dry Cleaners, Fisher's Grocery store, Frank's Deli, Nela Florist and Hough Bakery ( the thought of their coconut bars and custards still makes my mouth water!)
Thinking about it all almost makes me want to plan a trip up north and visit the area as I've not seen it in many many years. I'm sure it's all changed by now.
Googled "Washington Drug Noble Road" and got your post. I used to ride my bike down to Washington Drug to go to the soda fountain too - my favorite was the vanilla phosphate - 10 cents plus a penny for a pretzel stick out of the jar on the counter. This was the mid to late 60's. Used to sneak into Nela Park once in a while too. I remember "tree lawns" and slate sidewalks, and playing in the ravine behind Caledonia School. Hough Bakery was a great place, and I remember Franklin Ice Cream as well. Most of those places are probably gone now, but it was great place to be a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland