Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM

23 posts, read 142,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiram1 View Post
Doesn't anyone remember Benky's deli on Warrensville Ctr and before the May Co was built it was a golf course. Anyone remember the resturant on the golf course?
Wow, that goes back a long way. It was before my time, but my grandfather used to talk about golfing on that course at Cedar and Warrensville.

And my grandmother worked at that May Company in the mid-late '60s, so the golf course would have been even older than that.

However, I am old enough to remember when the May Co was still just a stand-alone complex with large parking lots surrounding it. I worked there during the summers when I was in high school (in the '80s). Now the whole lot is crammed full of all kinds of other stores).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,979 times
Oh, the memories this thread has brought back! Having attended Rocky River High School (class of ’77) and Baldwin-Wallace College (I finally dropped out in 1982), most of my memories are from the west side. Things like:

Amy Joy Donuts
Rustic Restaurant (still just as it was thirty years ago, thankfully!)
IHOP on Center Ridge (across from the Penguin Ice Cream place, Westgate Lanes and Ed Stinn’s dealership)
The Ground Round on Lorain
The pizza place near Ingersoll Hardware – was it Rosa Mia’s?
Fairview Lanes where one could bowl three lines for a buck
Fairview Theater, where I saw Star Wars when it first ran
World Series of Rock in ’75, featuring Yes and Joe Walsh
National Lampoon Radio on Sunday nights
My favorite watering holes – Berea Café, Eastland Inn, the old Brothers Lounge, The Boarding House, Walt’s Lounge (with pictures of many of the Browns on the wall, including the eternal Don Cockroft)
Wax Stacks
Don Imus on Sunday night TV
Room 24 at the Travelore Motel in Mentor (where we dined at the table next to Sam Rutigliano and staff one night)
Some of the bands I used to work with like the Harmony Kings (featuring Ken Peplowski), Pete Zaremba and the Crewmen (playing every Saturday night at the Chippewa Lake Ballroom) and Doug Hopkins and the New Vintage Band
Nickel beer night watching Oscar Gamble, John Lowenstein, Chris Chambliss, Gaylord Perry, Dave Duncan, Ray Fosse and one special night in particular – Sohio night, when Dick Bosman pitched a no-hitter
Awesome McLawson commercials
The All-Nations Festival, which always had a band like Maynard Ferguson, Woody Herman or Buddy Rich

Thanks for the reminiscing!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM

31 posts, read 191,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat9 View Post
To all of you who remember Euclid Beach Amusement Park, do you remember
the salt water taffy and popcorn balls? Welll! you can still find them on the
Internet. The company was Humphrey's.
Check this out!
Attached Thumbnails
Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-big-chuck-hoolihan.bmp   Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-capt-penny-barnaby.bmp   Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-mr.-jingling.bmp   Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-goulardi.bmp   Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-euclid-beach.bmp  

Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-laughing-sal.bmp   Other things only a Clevelander would know/appreciate-rocket-car.bmp  

Old 07-31-2008, 04:30 AM

980 posts, read 1,147,538 times
In the basement of The West Side Market is where the butchers carve up the meat, in dark and blood soaked stalls. They have very sharp knives and they are always missing a finger.

Still, you know, they seem happy.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 AM

20 posts, read 81,905 times
We used to walk from Lincoln High school to Woolworths on West 25th for lunch. We would buy a large order of fries to eat on the way back to school. Those were the real "Good Old Days". As you said mo matter what the time was you were never afraid to walk down the streets or even the ally ways from West 25th to Fulton Road. I used to hang out with a lot of people that lived in the Projects on Southside of Cleveland down at the end of Starkweather. Does anyone remember the Lincoln Bath House across from Lincoln Park. I used to belong to a club that met at the Bath house. The name of the club was "The Delmonigo's" yes we had pink and black jackets. Wow does bring back some old memories.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:02 PM

48 posts, read 163,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Nice.

How about Gold Circle? Silverman's? Fisher's Bigwheel? Stop n' Shop?
Rini's in Middleburg Hts... I was a kid, and my mom had taken me to Rini's to see the live black angus, only he wasn't there!

My mom went up to Mike Rini and said, "Mike, I brought her to see the black angus!" It would seem Mike Rini had to stop featuring a live angus during the holidays, as the health department had a bit of an issue with it!

Anyway, Mike Rini went in back, and brought me out a stuffed black angus to take home... I had that black angus on my bed for years...

Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejane View Post
Any remember the big storm on July 4, 1969? I was only 7, but I think it traumatized me for life! I did some Googling and found the following page. I've never even heard of a derecho!

The Ohio Fireworks Derecho
I was only seven, too, and we were camping that night out off of Atkins Rd. with family friends who owned a few acres out there at the time...

I remember the thunder and lightening, and the two fathers talking in low tones as we were tucked up on the hanging cots...

No doubt they were discussing the liklihood of us getting hit by lightening, or a falling tree! The woodsy acres were wired for electricity, too!

I remember the new lakes the next day, and one landowner gingerly walking through the lakes with the highest boots he owned! No doubt, he was out there trying to turn off the power before we were all fried!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikulec View Post
Here's one I didn't see mentioned at all, sort of regional...

The Brown Derby restaurant that used to sit out by Cleveland Hopkins Airport.
I remember The Brown Derby!

Anyone remember Bober's, on Smith Rd.?

Paycheck Friday's would find our family of four at Bober's... I always ordered a plate of fries...

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Higbee's or anything else connected with A Christmas Story! But I guess that's something you think about in the winter...
My sister and I would travel with our mom on the rapid to downtown every Christmas holiday season for one special day, to see the windows of Higbee's and Halle's decorated for Christmas, and all the downtown Christmas lights...

And the Silver Grille on Higbee's 10th floor, where I would always get a cardboard oven with a nutritous meal in little metal dishes...

Anyone else remember those cardboard ovens?

Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
13. and finally---the incredibly awful song that someone tried to promote as the official Song for Cleveland. I can still remember the words!

"Oh me-oh, oh my-oh
In Cleveland Ohio
We'll all have a WON-DER-FUL time!
The sailboats galore
On Lake Erie's shore
We'll have some fun we've not had before!!!!
Glory-oski!

Remember that awful Cleveland promotion about being a plum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland