Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 12:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Cleveland media suffered 2 major deaths in the last 2 weeks. Just days ago, it was longtime newscaster Jeff Maynor from the 1980s era. He seemed like a decent guy who his peers really liked.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...ies-at-75.html

... and the week before that, we lost Fred Griffith, co-host of the legendary "The Morning Exchange," which was a model for ABC's "Good Morning America" -- with original host, David Hartmann, attempting to fill the classy/folksy Griffith on a national scale. I grew up, heading to school, watching The Morning Exchange. Fred was such a friendly face who really understood how to treat people with respect, something we've sorely lost these days.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...ies-at-91.html
Wow! I'm shocked. I liked those two especially Fred Griffith. R.I.P. to both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:56 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
We used to call Newberrys the "five and ten". My friends and i would check out the fish and animals in the back and inevitably, if i had the cash, I'd walk out of the with a chinese throwing star or record album. I miss that place.
Nice! That place sold Chinese stars, knives, swords.... everything. Kids would go in, and then be responsible owners of their new weapons. These days places have to sell toy guns that are bright green or orange and cannot even be painted black. It wasn't a problem back then for kids to have toy guns because police knew the difference between a real gun and a toy gun.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Uncle Bills “is for the people “.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 AM

4,533 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Uncle Bills “is for the people “.
Heck, how about just "Uncle Bill's"? I grew up going to UBs... I just love the quirky, folksy, simple and down-to-earth names Cleveland has used over the years, like:

The Plain Dealer. You can't get more down-to-earth and folksy than calling your major newspaper this. I believe Winston Churchill said it was his favorite newspaper name in the world. We can definitely see why.

Terminal Tower... It is a skyscraper over a railroad terminal, hence TT. Over the years, though, some here realized the obvious ominous connotation quietly phased in the more generic "Tower City". Terminal Tower is still a, or perhaps The symbol of the City, but it's now recognized as just a mere building in a large complex and not the whole complex, as we tended to blur it as in the past. Smart move.

Public Square -- no unique or quirky name or name of a famous citizen (ie Tom Johnson Square, or Rockefeller Square, etc)... Nope, just Public Square... That's what it is. That's who it's for... Simple. Nothing fancy... very cool!

Chagrin Falls (Chagrin River)... were the people who founded it actually chagrined?

Twinsburg -- of course nationally-recognized with the annual Twins festival hosting twins form families all over the world.

Strongsville (yeah, I get it was named after a guy who's surname was "Strong"... it's still kinda funny).

Street names like Tungsten, Train, Railroad, Steel -- (yep, Cleveland's an industrial city alright)

Marginal Road...

The Rapid (pretty cool; other cities call their train systems names like the L, the T, Metro, BART, etc... our name Rapid is simple, unique, and nearly 100 years old).

271, 77, 480, etc. (freeway names after people aren't big here like they are other places ... too formal, ditto things like the beltway, etc, although we do have the Shoreway, which has stuck. We called I-77 south "The Willow Freeway" at times when I was a kid, but that's faded away).

We call that big Shoreway bridge over the Flats the Main Avenue Bridge. Why? Because it actually it's eastern portion is elevated over Main Avenue... simple; very Cleveland.

... these are just a few.

Last edited by TheProf; 08-04-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Nice! That place sold Chinese stars, knives, swords.... everything. Kids would go in, and then be responsible owners of their new weapons. These days places have to sell toy guns that are bright green or orange and cannot even be painted black. It wasn't a problem back then for kids to have toy guns because police knew the difference between a real gun and a toy gun.
I loved the Newberry's in Mentor. The store itself was a disaster, but it had the best record store and the pet department was awesome. Plus they had a pet monkey for sale that we always had to stop and see.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 13,036 times
Interestingly Newberry's in Mentor was the one and only place I was ever stopped from buying a cassette tape because it had a parental advisory sticker on it. Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91 in 1991 if memory serves me correctly. I remember being dumbfounded and thought I was on candid camera. I simply couldn't believe they wouldn't take my money.

I ended up buying it at the Galleria downtown and had no issues. After that day I knew Newberry's/Record Den was in trouble.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
Note on the username: 'from Coventry' a loooong time ago. Like 50 years.
I rented an apartment on Hampshire. I understand Irv's is gone but that Hts Hardware lives on

Have only returned to Cleveland to change planes. Never visited.

Does anyone remember Adele's, Deans Diner, The Brick on Euclid in University Circle. Those were my favs

Old 05-20-2023, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 697 times
I know I'm pushing it, but does anyone remember the pickles that Stonebraker's Drugstore on Noble Rd used to give with their sandwiches? Specifically, toasted cheese? Not dill, not sweet gherkins, not bread and butter. Had unique taste. I am trying to find them online.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:27 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Did a little googling, found this:

"Noble and Nela View had the most shopping opportunities. That included Fisher Foods, Woolworths, Fred’s Bakery, a barber shop, a record store, a florist, and a great drug store. That drug store was Stonebreaker’s. Mr. Stonebreaker was the president of the East Cleveland School Board and much loved in the community. He is the one who signed my diploma, when I graduated from Shaw High School in 1958. He was known as “Stoney” to the neighborhood and he and his store filled the same niche as the Tobin Brothers did at Tobin Drug at Taylor and Euclid. "

at https://eastclevelandhistory.blogspo...8_archive.html
you might be interested in some of the other info in that blogspot

Can't find anything on the pickle recipe though. You might try experimenting.

I used to live near Cleveland Heights Blvd and Monticello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland