Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 19,502 times

Advertisements

What was the name of the show, Saturdays around 6 pm, the kids from differend high schools went head to head academically.
Academic Challenge???
Who was the emcee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Back in 1969, Cleveland Hts. opened a skating rink. I believe it's called the South Skating Rink now. At the time it was a really big deal.

I won a contest to be the very first person to ever skate on the ice as part of a story for the nightly news. Two people actually won the contest (how many candies in a jar). The other winner was a local priest, Father Halaiko from St. Ann Church. I was amazed to think that a priest would be ice skating!!! For some reasons I thought they just sat in a church 24-hours-a-day, praying.

I hear a fancier rink has now been built, and the South Rink has fallen out of style. But in its day it was the place to go for fun; we went there day after day in the winter.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 19,502 times
In the 60's and early 70's, we used to spend many hours at the Euclid Ice Rink at Memorial Park. We took lessons, skated in shows, spent our Friday nights holding hands and skating, then sneaking
off to some pizza place and getting back before the second session ended and our parents came to pick us up - they never knew we left. In the summer we would ride our bikes and swim at the pool, the big poo, not the little ones at the playground like Willow. The big pool had two diving boards and a diving platform where you could go off a ladder type set up at any of several levels. Talk about dangerous.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 AM

I also remember going to basketball games with the Capelletti family--Jim Capelletti was the coach for Cleveland Hts. High. In 1971 or maybe 1972 Heights High went all the way to the state championship.

At the end of the division championship about 50 fans stood up, saluted the coach, and yelled "I can't believe we won the who-o-o-le thing!" (A parody of a popular alka seltzer commercial at the time.)

Man I wish we had video cameras back then, that's the sort of thing I'd love to see over and over.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Another place I remember is Red Raider Camp. They used to have field trips out there to watch maple syrup being tapped from the trees (and usually you could also see the sap being made into sugar). Every year local fifth graders had a week-long camping trip at Red Raider. We'd hear rumors about strip poker and other risky stuff going on but the kids always assured us it was nothing but rumors... just a squeaky clean camping trip, mom. Yah, right....

Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonow View Post
In the 60's and early 70's, we used to spend many hours at the Euclid Ice Rink at Memorial Park.
I remember that place--before they built the rink in Cleveland Hts., we went to Euclid. Or sometimes if it got really cold they'd flood the parking lot at Cumberland Pool and turn that into an outdoor ice rink. But parking lot ice is too uneven to be much fun.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 AM

19 posts, read 90,681 times
Smile More memories!

I think Christmas brings out the nostalgia in me and as I was reading over some of the postings, I couldn't help but remember some items I don't think were mentioned.
Halloran Park Outdoor Skating Rink- Ice in winter and roller in summer
Dragway 42 in Lodi
Whipps Ledges
Peanut Butter Burgers either at Bearden's or Kenny Kings, maybe both.
I dated a guy who loved them
Berardi's French Fries at Cedar Point. You'd eat them with malt vinegar sprinkled on them while they were hot then salted.
OMG! I'd give my left arm to have them again.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,166 times
I left Cleveland in 1977, but I have fond memories of

Mr. Jing A Ling
Big Chuck and Houlahan
WMMS Home of the Buzzard
Hanging out at Rocky River Park "the valley"
St. Colman's elementary school especially Sister John Boscoe
Apple Cider from Lawson's
Chippewah Lake
frozen custard stands that close in the winter
SNOW!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonow View Post
What was the name of the show, Saturdays around 6 pm, the kids from differend high schools went head to head academically.
Academic Challenge???
Who was the emcee?
Academic Challenge and i believe the host was Don Webster.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,347 times
the corral was on cook rd in olmsted falls, what a great place. i miss cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland