Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,073 posts, read 5,080,526 times

Advertisements

Hi, i wanna move to cleveland after i graduate high school in 2011?
i live in central minnesota
i know the city is getting worse and the population is declining
and i know what the crime is like
but how easy is it to get a job there? should i have college education first
i think finding a cheap apartment would be no problem
i just want to move there because it is an awesome city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 AM

37 posts, read 128,139 times
I've lived in the Clevland area my whole life, and I have to say I'm perplexed as to why you would want to move here... Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great things about Cleveland! But unless you have a great job lined up... now is not the time. The job situation here right now is awful. Unemployment is up to 11% and there it is SO hard to get a job right now, to many applicants per position. To put things in perspective, a school, south of Cleveland, that had an opening for a janitor received 700 applicants in one day! Don't move here without a college education. It's very difficult, when the job market is like this, to make it without one since you'll be competing with more educated people for any job you apply for. I don't have a BA, and I'm leaving Cleveland because I can't get a job. As far as cheap rent, yes, it's very cheap here and, as long as you employed full time, you'll be able to get something decent.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,309,229 times
^Yeah but employment is much worse in many other cities right now. California has cities over 20% unemployed for example.

Either way, I'd get an Education.

But hey, why not CLEVELAND STATE UNIVERSITY??

Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71196 View Post
I've lived in the Clevland area my whole life, and I have to say I'm perplexed as to why you would want to move here... Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great things about Cleveland! But unless you have a great job lined up... now is not the time. The job situation here right now is awful. Unemployment is up to 11% and there it is SO hard to get a job right now, to many applicants per position. To put things in perspective, a school, south of Cleveland, that had an opening for a janitor received 700 applicants in one day! Don't move here without a college education. It's very difficult, when the job market is like this, to make it without one since you'll be competing with more educated people for any job you apply for. I don't have a BA, and I'm leaving Cleveland because I can't get a job. As far as cheap rent, yes, it's very cheap here and, as long as you employed full time, you'll be able to get something decent.

I used to live in a small town that had about 1000 people a couple years ago. I Applied at subway, they had over 400 applications.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 PM

129 posts, read 347,482 times
Cleveland has lots of opportunities, but you have to look for them. Education helps, of course; there are lots of openings in the tech and health care fields here. I'd suggest looking in the cleveland.com classifieds or on monster.com to see the kinds of jobs available.
And as costello_musicman noted, we've got Cleveland State here, a good urban university with lots of student jobs available.
I'm one of those Cleveland optimists that love the city & encourage people who want to move here. And hey, you're already used to winter, so you've got one of the negatives beat!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM

78 posts, read 326,214 times
Cleveland is a wonderful city, but I would suggest that you go university and get an education (unless you can find a good job without a degree) before you move here. Since you want to move here, you can always attend CSU, which is a good school and since it is downtown, you are well connected to the best parts of Cleveland (Downtown, Ohio City, Shaker Square, University Circle, Little Italy, etc.). Also, I would like to correct something that you said in your original post; the city is not getting worse, it is getting better. There are a lot of new developments going on or that are being planned. With that, the population of the region is stagnant, Cleveland and the county are losing population (although the city's pop loss is slowing and might reverse in the future), and Downtown Cleveland is one of the fastest growing downtowns in the nation.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,870,197 times
Yeah, you need an education for sure, preferrably not liberal arts if you don't wish to go on to grad school. Anyways, CSU is nice, urban, cheap, and well-respected, and you could get a nice dorm and try the city out while you're here.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew0816 View Post
Cleveland is a wonderful city, but I would suggest that you go university and get an education (unless you can find a good job without a degree) before you move here. Since you want to move here, you can always attend CSU, which is a good school and since it is downtown, you are well connected to the best parts of Cleveland (Downtown, Ohio City, Shaker Square, University Circle, Little Italy, etc.). Also, I would like to correct something that you said in your original post; the city is not getting worse, it is getting better. There are a lot of new developments going on or that are being planned. With that, the population of the region is stagnant, Cleveland and the county are losing population (although the city's pop loss is slowing and might reverse in the future), and Downtown Cleveland is one of the fastest growing downtowns in the nation.
ya, well im sure it isnt getting worse, its just with the news and everything people think it is

what do you need for cleveland state to get in?
is a 2.4 gpa good enough?

thank you all for ur responses!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,500,804 times
Take your right hand and put it against your other wrist along the veins. Do you feel a slight thump? If so, you are in at CSU.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,309,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
ya, well im sure it isnt getting worse, its just with the news and everything people think it is

what do you need for cleveland state to get in?
is a 2.4 gpa good enough?

thank you all for ur responses!
GPA doesn't matter too much. It's more your ACT/SAT scores. and also extracirriculars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: