Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 AM

2 posts, read 26,523 times

Advertisements

I got speeding ticket in cleveland ohio clicked through camera via mail. It clearly says that no points will be assessed to the driver. But my question is that my drivers license is from michigan so will they place this on my record or give me any point for that ??

Should i fight for that . Fine is $100. is it advisable to just pay it off or get an attorney, because it says no points will be assessed , will it be placed on my MI record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,742,845 times
Default Call the number on the ticket.....

Just call the number that is probably on the ticket. Ask them for the scoop. More than likely it is a simple revenue enhancement trick.

Some times you get no points unless so much over the limit by so many miles per hour. In this case there is no proof who the driver actually was, they probably only got the pix of the license number. Shakey stuff.

Once you know the facts, might be better to just pay it.

Lots of that stuff going around. In some states, even if one of the bears actually stops you, it can be bought off with no points if you play the game their way. It is all about the money. I got one in VA, supposely doing 13 MPH over the limit. Was able to fix it by mail by paying extra for no points, charge was reduced to "Malfunctioning Equipment". Go figure. Ain't cheap.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,016,929 times
yep it'll show up in mi.... i rec'd a ticket a few years back in new york, yep its on my ohio record

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 AM

48 posts, read 219,410 times
Here is the City of Cleveland Municipal Code which permits these tickets to be issued:
413.031 Use of Automated Cameras to Impose Civil Penalties upon Red Light and Speeding Violators

1. (a) Civil enforcement system established. The City of Cleveland hereby adopts a civil enforcement system for red light and speeding offenders photographed by means of an “automated traffic enforcement camera system” as defined in division (m). This civil enforcement system imposes monetary liability on the owner of a vehicle for failure of an operator to stop at a traffic signal displaying a steady red light indication or for the failure of an operator to comply with a speed limitation.

(b) Red light offense – liability imposed. The owner of a vehicle shall be liable for the penalty imposed under this section if the vehicle crosses a marked stop line or the intersection plane at a system location when the traffic signal for that vehicle's direction is emitting a steady red light.

(c) Speeding offense – liability imposed. The owner of a vehicle shall be liable for the penalty imposed under this section if the vehicle is operated at a speed in excess of the limitations set forth in Section 433.03.

(d) Liability does not constitute a conviction. The imposition of liability under this section shall not be deemed a conviction for any purpose and shall not be made part of the operating record of any person on whom the liability is imposed.

Dickson and Campbell, L.L.C. - Ohio Trial Attorneys

Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,373,896 times
I got a photo ticket last year for $100 too. I disputed it, talked to prosecutor and had it knocked down to $60.

Since then a bought photo blocker spray for license plates. Have not got another photo yet. Its all a money game to them. Screw em.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 22,782 times
Yea, not only can they not put the ticket on your record; they have absolutely no way of anforcng the fines; why you ask? Because 1st and foremost they cannot prove who the driver was when the photo was taken. What's the final answer, the state of Ohio cannot suspend your liscense, cannot send your over due charges into collections, and they cannot tow or ticket your car for non-payment. What can they do? They can send you threatening letters "asking" you to pay the fine, but there is absolutely no consequense if you don't pay the fine. This issue is actually in the Ohio supreme court for unconstituionality, and is probably going to be outlawed this year. Good luck and sorry to all of you that paid the tickets.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,282,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdabaghi View Post
Yea, not only can they not put the ticket on your record; they have absolutely no way of anforcng the fines; why you ask? Because 1st and foremost they cannot prove who the driver was when the photo was taken. What's the final answer, the state of Ohio cannot suspend your liscense, cannot send your over due charges into collections, and they cannot tow or ticket your car for non-payment. What can they do? They can send you threatening letters "asking" you to pay the fine, but there is absolutely no consequense if you don't pay the fine. This issue is actually in the Ohio supreme court for unconstituionality, and is probably going to be outlawed this year. Good luck and sorry to all of you that paid the tickets.
Excellent post. If I got one of those tickets, I would not pay it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM

389 posts, read 805,686 times
It's all a scam, do not pay it.

First of all, you are not being charged with a criminal offense, this is a civil court proceeding. For this to work for real, a police officer must witness the event. They cannot say who was driving.

Second, this will probably be repealed soon. There is an effort on the way to collect signatures and put this on the ballot which of course nobody is going to vote for it. They will be gone soon.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 21,542 times
Hi All,

I just received a speeding ticket a few days ago. They said I speed 28 on 20 school zone, the ticket is $200. The car is under my mom's name and she don't have a driver license, just a state ID. what should I do? Please advise.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,092 times
Pay the ticket. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland