Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 PM

786 posts, read 3,931,102 times

Advertisements

Bay Village is an awesome place to live and raise kids. We lived there for three years and we did not find it snooty as one poster said, at all. Like another poster said, not many new houses in Bay but great schools, friendly people, and wonderful neighborhoods. You'll find houses in Bay Village with character instead of being cookie cutter like many new developments. The Lake Erie Nature and Science center is great as is the village pool in the summer. Great parks & rec. The great thing about Bay is you can live close to the shopping in Westlake without the hassle of living close to it. We were so sad to leave Bay! We've lived in many cities across the country and this was by far our favorite place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
Default I Love St. Bernadette School!

My three children are currently enrolled in St. Bernadette School and I couldn't be happier. There are so many great qualities: strong leadership, great academics with Catholic teachings in every lesson; wonderful office staff. My oldest son just received an academic scholoraship (the best one offered) to one of the local Catholic high schools and St. Bernadette has prepared him very well. He is also accepted into the honor's program.

I really get a sense of family here at St. Bernadette and I am so very lucky to be giving my children this experience. For more information about the school, go to [url=http://www.stbernadetteparish.com]St. Bernadette Parish - Home[/url]. National test scores are posted and you can even find your way to Edline to get the lastest school news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by still looking 62 View Post
I lived in Rocky River for 10 years and my child went to St. Christopher School. It is a very good school with alot of community activities and is one of the biggest churches in the area. Lots of opportunities in getting involved. Here is their site for you to view:

<[url=http://www.stchrisonline.com]St. Christopher Parish[/url]

St. Bernadette's is also a good community church in Westlake Ohio. Not as large as St. Chris's and may be more appealing to a smaller feel. Their site is: <http://www.stbernadetteparish.com/>

I haven't been to St. Raphael's so can't comment on their Parish/School.

Rocky River and Westlake are wonderful communities and, in my opinion, the best suburbs of the westside. Not only are the Catholic Schools excellent, but both the Rocky River and Westlake Schools Public Schools are ranked the best in the State.
The reason why I chose to send my child to a Catholic School is because although the Public School System in Rocky River is one of the best, a child would have to go to 4 schools in Rocky River to complete their High School Education. So for example: The Primary School goes from K - 2. Then they are off to Kensington from 3-5. Then to the Middle School from 6-8 and finally Rocky River High from 9 -12. I am exhausted just saying that! lol So I chose a Catholic School to keep from going to so many schools. St. Christopher's goes from K thru 8. Alot easier as far as less moving around. It is expensive though.
Good luck.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM

4,683 posts, read 5,011,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Good enough to use. North Olmsted. You get more house in N.O. but the schools are merely good instead of great.
Strongly disagree with the last part. I don't think there's anything River, Bay, Avon Lake, etc. offer that North Olmsted doesn't. In fact, being a larger school district, I think North Olmsted offers more. I personally know a few families who chose North Olmsted because of the district's gifted program, for example.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 PM

211 posts, read 980,298 times
Rocky River, Bay Village, Westlake, Avon Lake, and Avon are all VERY VERY nice communities. To keep taxes low, you may want to consider Lorain County. Rocky River, Bay Village, and Westlake are in Cuyahoga County. We get taxed to death.

As far as property tax rates:

Bay: 2.43%
Rocky River: 2.03%
Westlake: 1.83%
Avon Lake: 1.73%
Avon: 1.66%

Avon Lake houses can be pricey; they have a great library and excellent new rec center (I think it's complete now). However, be careful . . . It is a known fact that housing close to the power plant is questionable. There have been high instances of cancer to the population around there. It is easily searchable on the net.

Hands down . . . I'd move to Avon. This city did it right. They have built the area up with classy-looking commercial industry and the taxes are low because of this. Great school system too! The Cleveland Clinic has plans to build a new Trauma Center once they put the new interchange in at Route 83! This would be very convenient for anyone in the healthcare field! If you need to complete your degree once you are hear, Lorain County Community College is right around the bend. If you stay in Cuyahoga County, then I'd suggest completing the degree at Cuyahoga Community College. They have a Westlake Campus, but I believe the majority of the classes would be at their campus in Parma . . . that is a hike and out of the way for anyone near the lake!

Bay is expensive, but nice. Excellent schools. Rocky River is beautiful too. Older homes.

Westlake has a great tax rate, but see my comments on the schools under the original posting by *ProudCavalier*.

I noticed another posted mentioned North Olmsted . . . don't want to be rude, but I wouldn't move there. My girlfriend lived there for 15 years and couldn't wait to leave. Schools stink and even though they have the commercial industry, they keep raising taxes. No fiscal responsibility exists there.

Good luck to you. Welcome to the area!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland