Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,894 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I've had an awful time trying to find any info on both of these suburbs (Avon and Avon Lake). We are relocating to either of those 2 areas and can't seem to figure out which one is better than the other? It seems Avon has more traffic and shopping...but is he school system better in Avon Lake or does anyone have any experience with the people of Avon Lake and schools? We are leaning to Avon Lake but I guess it's just terrifying moving to a place you know nothing about (with a soon to be highschooler). I've heard Avon lake is older crowd too...any help is appreciated! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
They're pretty much the same. Avon has a freeway running through it. Avon Lake is north of it and on the lake. Avon is slightly more "retail" oriented while Avon Lake is slightly more industrial. Both are about the same in population (~21,000) and both have well-performing school districts, low crime and low poverty rates.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Agree. Not much difference at all.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:10 PM

19 posts, read 31,634 times
Wow, these communities are quite different. Avon is growing rapidly. It has the most growth in the state for the last couple of years. Avon Lake is more established with a much slower growth rate and a wider mix of single family housing.

Differences- Avon's growth is a double edged sword. The downside is that Avon is continuing to have to build new schools. That costs money. Avon's road are needing major upgrade to handle the traffic, starting by making Detroit Rd. four lanes. That costs money. Avon doesn't have its own water supply. Increased usage comes with growth. They upgrading supply lines from Avon Lake. That costs money. Avon does not own its own sewer system. Continuing expansion costs money. You can see the trend here. All the nice retail does not cover the upcoming tax requirements. Avon Lake, OTOH, has a better industrial base with 1/2 the Ford plant, the power plant, Poly One HQ, and Lubrizol plant. All are large employers.

Schools are a wash. My kids went to AL schools through high school. They were well prepared for college where they excelled. Avon's schools are excellent also but are no better. Avon has a special needs program which is a big plus if you have a special needs child. Avon Lake contracts with Avon and others to educate their special needs students. Hence the difference in the schools ratings.

Bottom line- Avon is growing and has lots of transient move-ins, better shopping, and special needs education. On the down side it has higher taxes going higher, lots of traffic, more costly utilities.

Avon Lake- less traffic, lower taxes, direct access to Lake Erie, 2 ways to get to downtown Cleveland, lower utilities, better services, lower crime (one of the lowest in the state at 57), full time professional fire department, cheapest water in the state, inexpensive sewer rates. On the down side is that has some industrial confined to west of the city, some lower end cottage district housing,

In summary you can't go wrong in either community. The total cost of living in AL is likely to be lower when you factor in all your costs.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 19,119 times
Biggest thing I was always afraid of was cancer vs. not cancer.
Google Avon Lake Cancer and see what I mean. There are crazy types of cancer happening in Avon Lake that don't even exist much outside of this town. There are 3 big industrials in town, Luberzol, PolyOne and Ford as well as a coal fired power plant. I guess there have been some EPA issues. These are all on the west side of town, but if looking in Avon Lake I would keep to the eastern edge to avoid.

Both towns are pretty cookie cutter, culdesac, vinyl siding "highway house" communities built by developers in the late 90s/early 2000s. Not a lot of character, pretty much the quintessential suburb life style of load the kids in giant SUVs and drive to big boxes like Costco. Avon does have a cute downtown that could be better "French Creek District" Avon Lake really has no downtown. The Legacy Point neighborhood around the golf course is nice.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
Same thing out here in Coronado. Navy town. My wife lost two sisters (her friends) to cancer in their 30's. A lot of cancer there.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:18 AM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Some areas in Avon Lake have very high radon levels requiring a mitigation system in the house. Google will find you radon level Maps. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to live in the Cleveland area.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 31,634 times
A lot of speculation but no conclusive studies. Parts of Avon are closer to the industrial section of Avon Lake. In the fall and winter prevailing winds from North/Northeast blows emittances from the stacks of the power and chemical plants into Avon. In the summer southwest prevailing winds blow it out over the lake. More likely to have fallout in Avon than Avon Lake. Any unfounded rumors about cancer clusters in Avon?

Old 02-27-2021, 09:51 AM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Check Radon levels before buying/renting a house.

You can also check "Radon maps" for a general idea of high Radon areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland