Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 02:15 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Micro apartment building coming to Larchmere.

https://www.thelandcle.org/stories/e...s-to-larchmere

This is some great in-fill to what's currently a surface parking lot. 460 square feet is a little small, but with a balcony and a vibrant neighborhood, I think they'll have no trouble filling them if the price is right. I anecdotally know some people who avoided living in that area because the buildings are so old.

I'm glad that they took in feedback from the community and redesigned the plan in order to maintain the streetwall and put the parking in the rear.

Larchmere and Shaker Square is such an unusual and fascinating area; it deserves a lot more praise and attention than it gets.
That's an interesting design, but I hope that tunnel is sufficiently wide to prevent collisions AND heavily insulated to protect the surrounding apartments from sound, whether motorcycles, bad mufflers, etc. I've also found "public" street-front balconies somewhat problematic; persons perhaps get use to them. I prefer balconies screened from other balconies and overlooking a natural landscape, such as Lake Erie. The half screens in this design perhaps also block balcony users from viewing the street, but perhaps not.

I've never seen this website linked before, but perhaps I don't remember it. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Also, consider that I-90 is a major interstate route and that Route 2 is not, as it carries mostly local traffic. For most persons living in Lake County, especially those north of Route 2, Route 2 offers much shorter times to many destinations despite its significantly lower posted and enforced speed limits compared to I-90. I-90 also is the major east/west feeder into the 10-lane north/south I-271 corridor. Lake County residents who use Route 2 to travel to Cleveland, instead use I-90 for its more direct route (and higher speeds) to the I-271 corridor.
I should have noted that I-271 is the main interstate route connecting I-90 to I-71 for traffic coming from or heading to the east. It bypasses downtown congestion and the notorious "Deadman's Curve" at the start of the Innerbelt.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Micro apartment building coming to Larchmere.

https://www.thelandcle.org/stories/e...s-to-larchmere

This is some great in-fill to what's currently a surface parking lot. 460 square feet is a little small, but with a balcony and a vibrant neighborhood, I think they'll have no trouble filling them if the price is right. I anecdotally know some people who avoided living in that area because the buildings are so old.

I'm glad that they took in feedback from the community and redesigned the plan in order to maintain the streetwall and put the parking in the rear.

Larchmere and Shaker Square is such an unusual and fascinating area; it deserves a lot more praise and attention than it gets.
MRN's revised 3-story infill apt building is a 100% improvement over their 2-story, S-shaped cheezy motel original version. Larchmere is a great neighborhood, and getting even greater with this apt building, as well as the larger 88-unit mixed-use building down the street @ E. 121st. What makes this walking district, and the historic, neighboring Shaker Square area extra special is its RTA Rapid and bus connectivity making it possible to live car-less (I know residents who do). Rail offers 1-seat rides to the downtown Tower City core, as well as expanding Flats East Bank, 1st Engergy Stadium and also-expanding North Coast Harbor and the Red Line connection to Ohio City, Det-Shoreway, the Airport and other places. You also have the 10-min (#48) bus ride to University Circel/Little Italy, Blue Line train runs to (old) downtown Shaker (Lee Road/Shaker Town Centre) and the sparkling new/bustling Van Aken District.

There's also Green Line runs to the Shaker Nature Center, Horeshoe Lake Park, John Carroll U (and its retail area), and the Green Road (Shaker-Beachwood bike/nature trail)... From Van Aken terminal the #5 bus directly serves several retail areas like sparkling new (and sprawling) Pinecrest, the Pavillion, the Village and the Eton Collection... (these areas are a quick Uber/Lyft hop from Warrensville-Van Aken, too)... Again, who needs a car?

Old 08-30-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
MRN's revised 3-story infill apt building is a 100% improvement over their 2-story, S-shaped cheezy motel original version. Larchmere is a great neighborhood, and getting even greater with this apt building, as well as the larger 88-unit mixed-use building down the street @ E. 121st. What makes this walking district, and the historic, neighboring Shaker Square area extra special is its RTA Rapid and bus connectivity making it possible to live car-less (I know residents who do). Rail offers 1-seat rides to the downtown Tower City core, as well as expanding Flats East Bank, 1st Engergy Stadium and also-expanding North Coast Harbor and the Red Line connection to Ohio City, Det-Shoreway, the Airport and other places. You also have the 10-min (#48) bus ride to University Circel/Little Italy, Blue Line train runs to (old) downtown Shaker (Lee Road/Shaker Town Centre) and the sparkling new/bustling Van Aken District.

There's also Green Line runs to the Shaker Nature Center, Horeshoe Lake Park, John Carroll U (and its retail area), and the Green Road (Shaker-Beachwood bike/nature trail)... From Van Aken terminal the #5 bus directly serves several retail areas like sparkling new (and sprawling) Pinecrest, the Pavillion, the Village and the Eton Collection... (these areas are a quick Uber/Lyft hop from Warrensville-Van Aken, too)... Again, who needs a car?

Using the Green Line and 94 connector bus, it's also possible to get from Shaker Square to Beachwood Place or Legacy Village in about 45 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Buck...8488!3e3?hl=en

What do you mean by "1-seat rides?"

Old 08-31-2020, 01:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

What do you mean by "1-seat rides?"
Direct service; no transfers.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Direct service; no transfers.
Thanks. I thought that was it, but personally had never seen the phrase used before.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:13 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
More development for University Circle.
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...rcle?_amp=true

Old 09-15-2020, 08:49 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,893 times
More from Ken on Sherwin Williams and our downtown. Looks like they hired some architects known for landmark designs.

NEOtrans: Sherwin-William HQ+R&D project restarts; development team announced

Old 09-15-2020, 03:49 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
Nice to see all the development continuing - it actually amazes me whats going forward in Ohio City near the Market.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:14 AM

Default Will it or won't it (SW HQ tower to surpass Key Tower in height)?

NeoTrans says the new Sherwin Williams HQ tower will rival Key Tower in height. Given the increased marginal cost of building higher floors, it's hard to believe that SW's financially conservative management will shell out the big bucks to make a statement, but then consider the prestige that would be gained and attach a financial value to that publicity (not much different than the tens of millions that businesses shell out for naming rights for athletic venues). Additionally, imagine the views that management could offer visitors from their offices and conference rooms.

If the new SW tower will approach the Key Tower in height, why not keep building in order to claim preeminence for likely many decades ahead?

If SW were to build an observation deck, it actually might create a financial source of income to pay for the higher building ($30 or more per trip isn't uncommon these days in other cities for skyscraper observation decks; the Empire State Building now charges about $70 for 102nd floor tickets). Sherwin Williams actually has a good, small corporate museum in its office building. Moving it to the top of the new tower, just below the observation deck and adding displays explaining the merits of SW's current products may further justify the observation deck. And what about a restaurant/bar, to help defray the cost of the elevators needed to reach the observation deck, but not other floors of the office building.

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/...rival-key.html

Looking at the above renderings, it's amazing how the Terminal Tower increasingly will be dwarfed by its surrounding giants, which are much bigger buildings even if not proportionately taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland