Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:20 AM

120 posts, read 107,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
Hell yes - this side of town is magical. The Cleveland west side, north of 90 in particular, has limitless potential ... far beyond the rejuvenation it's already seen. It warms my heart to see continue development, even though I could scarcely afford to live in any of these new projects. Detroit Ave between W. 25th and Gordon Square is going from dingleberries to diamonds at warp speed.
Agreed. I've lived/visited just about everywhere in Northeast Ohio over the last two decades. I've never seen so much development (outside of Downtown and UC) in my time here. I keep telling all of my friends to buy a place on the near westside before it's too late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM

237 posts, read 249,407 times
Commercial real estate values are on the rise in Cleveland - Smart Business Magazine

Old 05-08-2017, 05:17 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
This guy is serious. I thought this was dead.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleve...g_up_on_cl.amp

Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 AM

194 posts, read 191,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
This guy is serious. I thought this was dead.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleve...g_up_on_cl.amp
I would say it's a better idea than the dirt track, especially if he can raise the money and does not require public funding.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 AM

378 posts, read 342,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
I would say it's a better idea than the dirt track, especially if he can raise the money and does not require public funding.
I don't like the shady manner in which the dirt bike track came to be, I support putting it on the ballot, and I understand the criticism, but I think the inherent idea of the complex is cool and a unique asset.

Anyway, my main pushback against your argument is that if the track fails, it's easily removed or redeveloped. If the skylift fails, the city will either be bailing out the system or we'll have a really bad looking, defunct gondola system present in most of the high-profile parts of the city.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 AM

^ Why would the city even consider bailing out a privately funded company and project? I don't think you (nor many) understand how city budgets, urban planning and developments actually work in real world scenarios.

How was the dirt bike track process shady? It's been in the city's capital improvement budget since 2012. The rising of the income tax rate has allowed for 25% more capital projects getting approved errr funded. The dirt bike track was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when.

Last edited by C-rob2727; 05-09-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rob2727 View Post
^ Why would the city even consider bailing out a privately funded company and project? I don't think you (nor many) understand how city budgets, urban planning and developments actually work in real world scenarios.
Because, in the event it fails, I doubt they want a decaying gondola system marring the most visible parts of the city. Private investments are great but this one is impacting public space.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rob2727 View Post
How was the dirt bike track process shady? It's been in the city's capital improvement budget since 2012. The rising of the income tax rate has allowed for 25% more capital projects getting approved errr funded. The dirt bike track was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when.
The weird way that Kelley stepped in and prevented Kazy from voting during a hearing sits extremely poorly with me.

Beyond that, I generally support it being on the ballot, which is an initiative that seems to be gaining a lot of momentum. Overall, though, I don't really have an opinion on the track. I like community assets that serve the needs and desires of the immediate community. I think there is valid criticism, though.

I also think the gondola is unique, but I'm not convinced it actually benefits anyone. It's private, so it's benefit doesn't necessarily matter, which is why my primary concerns are what happens if it fails. I also think it will be aesthetically intrusive, but I'd need to see a later iteration of the design before I'll 100% say it would be absolutely ugly. I like Stahl a lot. When you speak with him it's easy to see how passionate he is about the project, so I know the intent is good. I'm just not convinced there aren't public risks with this private venture.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Because, in the event it fails, I doubt they want a decaying gondola system marring the most visible parts of the city. Private investments are great but this one is impacting public space.
IF the city does approve this (they may not) there will be reserves set aside to help dismantle it. This is all part of the ongoing negotiations between the city and the developer.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Mayor Frank Jackson to target $65M at neighborhoods for commercial growth, jobs and housing | cleveland.com

CSU report advises Cleveland to invest public money in East Side neighborhoods (photos, maps) | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland