Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 07:05 AM

469 posts, read 434,103 times

Advertisements

I wanted so badly to use the snow blower today, just to give it one outing for the season.

Alas, only 3” on the driveway, couldn’t justify it…especially since it’ll hit 52- degrees within 48 hrs.

A few (unnecessary) passes with the push shovel did the job in 20-mins, just for the fresh air.

Still hoping for some lake effect snow today/tomorrow, or possibly a late season snow storm.

Odd that Feb was more Spring-like than March (so far…).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 12:36 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
I wanted so badly to use the snow blower today, just to give it one outing for the season.

Alas, only 3” on the driveway, couldn’t justify it…especially since it’ll hit 52- degrees within 48 hrs.

A few (unnecessary) passes with the push shovel did the job in 20-mins, just for the fresh air.

Still hoping for some lake effect snow today/tomorrow, or possibly a late season snow storm.

The crazy thing is there have been so many storms this whole winter that just missed us...had they tracked 50-100 miles south of where they did, we would have had the big storms that MN/WI/MI got...instead we got rain most of the time.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:45 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
The crazy thing is there have been so many storms this whole winter that just missed us...had they tracked 50-100 miles south of where they did, we would have had the big storms that MN/WI/MI got...instead we got rain most of the time.
Madison, Minneapolis, Milwaukee each has 2x as much snow this year vs last year.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:15 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Madison, Minneapolis, Milwaukee each has 2x as much snow this year vs last year.

All three of these cities have a significantly more northern latitude than Cleveland. Let me reiterate once again that Cleveland has approximately the same latitude as Barcelona, Spain.

The difference in latitude between Milwaukee/Madison and Cleveland is comparable to the difference between Cleveland and Columbus. The difference in latitude between Minneapolis and Cleveland is about the same as the difference between Cleveland and Lexington, KY.

Due to the Arctic Amplification, the jet stream is moving north and there is less cold air in the northern hemisphere to sustain polar vortex breakouts. Cleveland may have a more snowy winter in the future, akin perhaps to the 2021-2022 winter, but our winters are disappearing rapidly. Over the next few decades, Minnesota and Wisconsin likely also will see their winters greatly diminished.

That's my belief studying the impacts of climate change, and having vivid memories of Cleveland winters for almost all of the second half of the 20th century, as well as obviously all of the 21st century to date.

I have friends who live south of Minneapolis and even now they have over two feet of snow on the ground. I remember winters like that in Lake County; they were immense fun as a kid.

The climate change impacts on Greater Cleveland are discussed throughout the following thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...east-ohio.html

Last edited by WRnative; 03-16-2023 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-16-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post

I made the same decision to shovel for the fun/exercise. Half of my driveway in Lake County had less than an inch of snow by the time I got outside.

I wouldn't have used much gas if I had started my snow blower, and so I'm resigned to draining my snow blower tank for the third year in a row. I used to be able to clean-up my driveway/sidewalks and those of neighbors to avoid draining the tank; not any longer.

Next year, I'm going to start the snow blower with less than an inch of gas in the tank and then fill it as necessary.

I now would recommend anybody who wanted a snow blower in Greater Cleveland purchase a Snow Joe or other electric snow blower! See posts 124 and forward in this thread as well as the second thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...eather-13.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...land-snow.html

However, I was glad to have my big snow blower for the early February storm last year. See post 129. It's probably wrong to believe that we won't have a similar storm in at least one or more winters in the future before climate change finally marks the end of snowy Cleveland winters. Even now, the onslaught of climate change is very scary IMO.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:21 AM

Well, Sat was quite the windy day. My power in Shaker Hts was knocked out about 4 PM Sat and didn't come back on until Sunday night.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 AM

<<With spring around the corner, snow plow drivers have been left wondering, "what happened to winter?"

"What winter? There's been no snow, I've plowed a total of three times, half a time once, but there's been no snow," said Paul Balukas, owner of Handyman and Snow Plow LLC. "I've never had a year like this. This is the worst year I've ever seen for that. I mean, yeah, we've had some light years—but I never, ever plowed under 12 times a year."

Balukas entered the season worrying about the cost of gas and what that would mean for him having to haul salt around in his truck, not to mention the rising costs from inflation. But as the winter went on, the snow failed to fall and Balukas had a more pressing issue to deal with....

Many snow removal companies have contracts that are based annually and have a fixed, flat rate for the year. However, Balukas said those contracts are a small part of the industry's income—it's the per-snow jobs that he needs to stay afloat.

"Everybody says, 'Well, you made out like a bandit on the contracts.' I said, 'Not really the case.' Contract money repairs the truck for next year. That money doesn't mean anything, it's the pay-per-plows that pay your season," he said. "It's terrible. The only thing I can do this year is fix my truck. I'm in the hole on my living expenses, I'm in the hole on everything else. The only thing I can do is fix my trucks.">>

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...w-plow-drivers

My guess is that plowing took place when there was only minimal snow. I saw that on my local streets, but where the plows also spread ice to prevent ice formation.

A worry/likelihood is that Greater Cleveland snow removal budgets will be cut in the years ahead, making us more vulnerable to the occasional significant storm.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:16 PM

Having any kind of business that is based on weather is not great...hopefully a company like this guy's will make up this spring in summer w/ landscaping and tree removal business (most of these companies provide the contract snow plowing services in the winter)

Old 04-02-2023, 03:03 PM

Default Snow shoveling need during winter of 2022-23

Informative thread about the mild winter of 2022-23:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...-you-have.html

Old 06-07-2023, 07:40 AM

Even though we've had very mild temps the past few days, it's been weird w/ all the haze coming from wildfire smoke in Canada...
Today, on my drive to work, I could barely make out the skyline from I-490...I usually have no problem making it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland